ASUS PG258Q vs Acer XB252Q

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Kiryakov

ASUS PG258Q vs Acer XB252Q

Post by Kiryakov » 10 Dec 2018, 07:08

Greetings,

I'm CS:GO competitive player and i can't choose from this two monitors - ASUS PG258Q and Acer XB252Q. Before one week I bought BenQ XL2546 DyAC, but I have several problems with this monitor. Before that I had XL2411 and everything be fine, but now I returned one of XL2546, I receieve replacement and again I'm not happy with this monitor. On 240Hz with DyAC ON/OFF I see "screen-door-effect", I see vertical thin lines on display when I rotate fast left/right. My eyes see too much crosstalk strobe and really I want to return again this XL2546. I try to change to 140 Hz from 240, but again I see crosstalk strobe and thin vertical lines when rotate fast or picture on display changing fast. I hate this thin vertical lines, because I can't focus and concentrate. Maybe ASUS or Acer don't have this problem.

My GPU now is: ASUS RX480 Radeon; CPU: intel7 8700K. I play with 400-450 fps stable.

Thanks in advance for answering.

ixenovia

Re: ASUS PG258Q vs Acer XB252Q

Post by ixenovia » 10 Dec 2018, 07:53

Hi, maybe i can help you, I had the pg258q beforre and now the xl2546, unlucky i returned the pg258q for dead and the xl2546 I ll returned It for flick screen. However I can say you my experiece with them. About crosstalk you are right the xl2546 have much of It and I tried to fix It but nothing, for pg258q the ulmb for nvidea are just perfect no crosstalk at all, really clear Image that xl2546 but stacked at 155hz max, I Can Say for clearity PG 155hz stobe are far way Better that XL 240hz strobe. About the monitor I always hated the PG from the colors and the settings that you Can change, I felt so much limited about that, where on the xl2546 I was so much free about my personal settings . If I wanna the general situation is: I had more fun with my xl2546 for the more things you Can Do, However if you are looking for a great stobe with low crosstalk pg258q Is much Better , with worst colors and settings that you change probably.
I Hope i helped you a bit

Kiryakov

Post by Kiryakov » 10 Dec 2018, 08:12

ixenovia wrote:Hi, maybe i can help you, I had the pg258q beforre and now the xl2546, unlucky i returned the pg258q for dead and the xl2546 I ll returned It for flick screen. However I can say you my experiece with them. About crosstalk you are right the xl2546 have much of It and I tried to fix It but nothing, for pg258q the ulmb for nvidea are just perfect no crosstalk at all, really clear Image that xl2546 but stacked at 155hz max, I Can Say for clearity PG 155hz stobe are far way Better that XL 240hz strobe. About the monitor I always hated the PG from the colors and the settings that you Can change, I felt so much limited about that, where on the xl2546 I was so much free about my personal settings . If I wanna the general situation is: I had more fun with my xl2546 for the more things you Can Do, However if you are looking for a great stobe with low crosstalk pg258q Is much Better , with worst colors and settings that you change probably.
I Hope i helped you a bit
Thanks for fast response. Maybe my eyes are very sensitive and I see too much crosstalk. Before my XL2546 replacement, I thinking get factory defective piece, but after replacement I think maybe ZOWIE/BenQ have a big problem with that crosstalk. I have flicker on my XL2546,but only with DyAC ON. When i switch OFF DyAC, its flicker-free. I don't care for colors too much (TN panels have bad colors), I want clear picture without crosstalk, vertical thin lines, "screen-door-effect" and etc. Thanks for your comment and experience.

Kiryakov

Post by Kiryakov » 10 Dec 2018, 08:31

With "vertical thin lines" I mean scanlines and I will attach picture for example. My lines its vertical, not horizontal like is in picture.
And I have this lines, only when I rotate. Thanks.
Attachments
scanlines2.jpg
scanlines2.jpg (230.55 KiB) Viewed 6795 times
scanlines.jpg
scanlines.jpg (173.87 KiB) Viewed 6795 times

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Dec 2018, 12:24

ixenovia wrote:I Can Say for clearity PG 155hz stobe are far way Better that XL 240hz strobe
For a fair apples-vs-apples comparision, you need to compare 155Hz DyAc (with Large Vertical Total trick + intentionally reduced contrast ratio) with NVIDIA ULMB 155Hz. BenQ lets you strobe at higher Hz despite quality degradation, while NVIDIA blocks 240Hz strobe (due to quality). Also, the contrast-ratio-reduce tricks (raising digital black level and reducing digital white level -- reducing dynamic range on cable) also reduces strobe crosstalk a lot. This adds overdrive overshoot room below black / above white. For this in action, watch http://www.testufo.com/ghosting while raising/lowering digital black level via NVIDIA Control Panel. With enough tweaking, it's possible to get DyAc pretty close to ULMB. Although NVIDIA ULMB pre-tuning is really, really good, though DyAc tends to have less input lag than ULMB. I'll need to write new articles about maxing-out your blur reduction mode. Some people prefer brighter contrast in blur reduction (in tradeoff to more strobe crosstalk).

Though ULMB 155Hz hack is slightly easier than DyAc 155Hz + Large VT trick + contrast ratio reduce trick. (You need to combine the two tricks in order to get close to ULMB 155Hz).

Now, that said, ULMB is really good out-of-the-box if you want easy blur reduction that you simply turn ON/OFF at 120Hz or 144Hz.
Kiryakov wrote:With "vertical thin lines" I mean scanlines and I will attach picture for example. My lines its vertical, not horizontal like is in picture.
And I have this lines, only when I rotate. Thanks.
That's artifacts from LCD inversion logic. That photographed inversion artifacts is roughly normal(ish) for high-Hz TN panels. Whether unusually bad for that particular model, I can't tell you, but I've seen situations where inversion artifacts is roughly that on every single manufactured unit of various high-Hz monitors. I've seen better and I've seen worse. Invisible in stationary images but suddenly appears during motionspeeds of odd pixel steps (e.g. pixels per frame) 1 ppf, 3 ppf, 5 ppf, 7 ppf...

TECHNICAL INFO: Inversion logic is the alternating voltage polarities in alternating refresh cycles in adjacent pixels, often a checkerboard or fine-lines pattern. Each pixel have a voltage polarity and the polarity inverts. Usually this process is invisible but artifacts can sometimes become visible, especially or more info, see: Forum Thread | Techmind Article | Lagom test patterns | TestUFO Inversion pattern

I've generally seen this inversion artifact (to varying extents) on all 240Hz TN monitors I've come across, during odd-pixel-per-frame step motions -- try the 240 pixel per second ghosting (1 pixel per frame) and then you see this inversion pattern appear on 1080p 144Hz and 240Hz TN panels. Worse in DyAc or ULMB mode of course.

For testing inversion patterns on all TestUFO motion tests, use slow 240pps for 240Hz, 120pps for 120Hz, or 720pps for 144Hz. This will correctly use odd-pixel-step motion that amplifies visibility of inversion patterns.

However, this is normal unless unusually bad (e.g. worse sample than usual) and if so, then may qualify as RMA, but panel lottery on inversion artifacts is not recommended unless much more strong than these photographs (to the point of putting a full screen haze even from viewing far away, like "analog television snow" behavior greying out an image). So a panel tech switch is recommended if you hate this. But at these photographed extents are quite normal especially in blur reduction mode.

If you really, really dislike the checkerboarding effect of high-Hz TN LCD inversion artifacts, get a high-Hz IPS instead. More motion blur but it's a pick-you-preference. There are great 1440p IPS GSYNC monitors available. They also have ULMB.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Kiryakov

Post by Kiryakov » 11 Dec 2018, 03:02

@Chief Blur Buster, many thanks for detailed information. I will choose ASUS XG248Q, new model with 24 inch display.
In internet reviews, I see too many comments for 24 inch display its better for use in 240 Hz than all 25 inch displays.
Maybe scanlines and crosstalk on 24 inch 240Hz will be missing or be smaller than 25 inch.

Thanks for answering! I will try XG248Q and I will comment in this topic for my impression.

Kiryakov

Post by Kiryakov » 16 Dec 2018, 14:30

Greetings,

Yesterday I bought ASUS XG248Q new one from local store. The monitor have very clear image on 240HZ WITHOUT scanlines, blurry, crosstalk and etc. It's image quality, colors and everything is better than BenQ XL2546! But again I have a technical issue and I can't fix it.
When I use monitor 1+ hour I have a problem with flashing screen (I mean display ON/OFF for 1 seconds randomly.) When I start a game (CS:GO, GTA V or other) monitor powering off and saying "DisplayPort signal lost" I need to switch power OFF and ON for fix that. Today I buy another DisplayPort cable and first hour of use everything it's OK, but after that same problem.. Flashing on desktop resolution 1920 x 1650, but not flashing in games. I changed from 240HZ to 140HZ and from 10 minutes I don't have this problem.. Do you have any ideas how can I fix this? Thanks in advance. In this post I will attach a short video with problem.

https://youtu.be/azHUJOkcwM0

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Dec 2018, 16:56

Thank you for posting! Glad that XG248Q doesn't have too-visible crosstalk, it must be much better calibrated.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

gabethomas

Post by gabethomas » 06 Mar 2019, 18:26

Kiryakov wrote:Greetings,

Yesterday I bought ASUS XG248Q new one from local store. The monitor have very clear image on 240HZ WITHOUT scanlines, blurry, crosstalk and etc. It's image quality, colors and everything is better than BenQ XL2546! But again I have a technical issue and I can't fix it.
When I use monitor 1+ hour I have a problem with flashing screen (I mean display ON/OFF for 1 seconds randomly.) When I start a game (CS:GO, GTA V or other) monitor powering off and saying "DisplayPort signal lost" I need to switch power OFF and ON for fix that. Today I buy another DisplayPort cable and first hour of use everything it's OK, but after that same problem.. Flashing on desktop resolution 1920 x 1650, but not flashing in games. I changed from 240HZ to 140HZ and from 10 minutes I don't have this problem.. Do you have any ideas how can I fix this? Thanks in advance. In this post I will attach a short video with problem.

https://youtu.be/azHUJOkcwM0

Hi !
How is the XG248Q ?
I wanna get maybe the same monitor. It is not really clouding and have bad colors as PG258Q ?

Willynuts

Post by Willynuts » 08 May 2019, 09:07

Hello! i have the same problem, I have tried BenQ XL2546, XL2536, Alienware AW2518HF, Asus VG258QR, and all models have this problem.

I think the problem is in the inches (24.5), but I do not know for sure.

I'm thinking about trying the ACER XB252Q, does anyone know if he has the same problem?

Excuse me for my English, I hope someone can help me.

Thank you.