How far has strobing come?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: How far has strobing come?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Dec 2018, 12:08

Yep! This is called "strobe crosstalk"

See Advanced Strobe Crosstalk FAQ: http://www.blurbusters.com/crosstalk

What you see is very normal, and is hard to get better. Most invisible on TN, more visible on IPS and VA. It's usually worse than yours, especially at higher Hz.

If you're wanting further reductions, you can reduce crosstalk further, you can:
1. Lower refresh rate; and/or
2. Decrease ULMB Pulse Width a little bit
3. Decrease dynamic range (increase your digital black levels a little bit, and decrease your digital white levels a little bit -- you can use NVIDIA Control Panel Brightness/Contrast for this)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ELK

Post by ELK » 12 Dec 2018, 12:17

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Yep! This is called "strobe crosstalk"

See Advanced Strobe Crosstalk FAQ: http://www.blurbusters.com/crosstalk

What you see is very normal, and is hard to get better. Most invisible on TN, more visible on IPS and VA. It's usually worse than yours, especially at higher Hz.

If you're wanting further reductions, you can reduce crosstalk further, you can:
1. Lower refresh rate; and/or
2. Decrease ULMB Pulse Width a little bit
3. Decrease dynamic range (increase your digital black levels a little bit, and decrease your digital white levels a little bit -- you can use NVIDIA Control Panel Brightness/Contrast for this)
I can run ULMB in 85hz but I cannot use the vertical total (ULMB in 60hz) hack.
How do I decrease the ULMB pulse width?
nvidia has limited output range 16~235 instead of 0~255 I will try that.

In video games when I move around the texture looks very different. Concrete that looks soft almost like it's painted grey will look like beat up concrete in movement. I guess just have bad crosstalk looks in game

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Dec 2018, 01:15

ELK wrote:nvidia has limited output range 16~235 instead of 0~255 I will try that.
Adjust while watching http://www.testufo.com/crosstalk
That might cut dynamic range too excessively though, or not work correctly (be ignored when connected to a GSYNC display). Try other settings too, like gamma correction.
ELK wrote:How do I decrease the ULMB pulse width?
ULMB Pulse Width is in the monitor menus underneath the "ULMB On/Off" setting. You need to adjust ULMB Pulse Width it while watching TestUFO Panning Map Test at 3000 pixels/sec
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!