How far has strobing come?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
ELK

How far has strobing come?

Post by ELK » 12 Dec 2018, 00:05

I have an ancient ulmb panel. I wish modern video cards had analog output because I'd repair my old dell p1130 crt.

The effect I hate looks identical to setting overvoltage to maximum. Are corona (inverse ghost) and crosstalk very similar looking?

I haven't seen much testing on my panel. What settings should I use on my android phone's camera to show some ULMB tests? I would like to also show maximum overvolt

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: How far has strobing come?

Post by RealNC » 12 Dec 2018, 00:17

Pursuit photography is pretty much the only way to get accurate footage. You need to move the camera at the exact same speed the object is moving on the screen. This requires a setup, but some people have done it manually by hand with lots of attempts.

See the links on this test at the top of the page:

https://www.testufo.com/ghosting
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

ELK

Post by ELK » 12 Dec 2018, 00:42

When the shutter time is less than the strobe. 1/180 shutter time ULMB @ 120hz there are lines across the screen the moving depending on the orientation of the camera.

What shutter time should I use?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 12 Dec 2018, 00:55

From https://www.blurbusters.com/motion-tests/pursuit-camera:
NOTE: Stacking multiple refreshes into one camera exposure, improves the WYSIWYG accuracy of pursuit camera photographs, since it more closely simulates the continual sampling (“integration”) the human eye does while seeing. Stacking multiple refreshes also filters out high-speed temporal effects of certain displays (e.g. plasma subfields, temporal dithering, etc.) and far more closely resembles the average perceived motion blur that the human eye sees. In addition, multiple-refresh stacking also eliminates visible errors caused by camera shutter timing being out of phase with refresh timing. You may use a longer exposure (e.g. 1/10sec) to capture more than 4 refreshes, but this makes it harder to verify the correctness of the Pursuit Camera Sync Track since it is currently optimized to 4 refreshes.
However, I've never done any of this myself. Chief will probably know more tricks and tips on how to best go about it.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

ELK

Post by ELK » 12 Dec 2018, 01:09

I'm no bruce lee but here you go. It looks much worse to my own eye than in the picture though. Idk how to adjust white balance and iso and such. 120hz 1/30 shutter.

ELK

Post by ELK » 12 Dec 2018, 01:11

I VERY clearly see a second and third image with my eyes. Picture not really doing it justice

ELK

Post by ELK » 12 Dec 2018, 01:30

ELK

Post by ELK » 12 Dec 2018, 01:47

I hope that I'm just bad a taking these photos. I absolutely cannot stand ULMB on my monitor it is completely unusable. I used paint the best I could. The size of the UFO dome (top) is pretty accurate. I put my monitor in ULMB and could compare how far the corona stuck out compared to the red of the space ship. The size of the bottom of the ufo is inaccurate. I didn't have a reference so it ended up too large.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 12 Dec 2018, 02:33

Is it an IPS display? That's normal. The 144Hz/165Hz IPS panels do have lots of crosstalk. I have such a monitor myself (XG2703-GS) and I also can clearly see three crosstalk images, with their exact position depending on the vertical position of the screen the object is moving.

Currently, crosstalk is the lowest on TN panels. IPS is worse, and VA is much worse. So you gotta pick your poison :P I use mine mainly in g-sync mode, not ULMB.

ELK

Post by ELK » 12 Dec 2018, 12:00

RealNC wrote:Is it an IPS display? That's normal. The 144Hz/165Hz IPS panels do have lots of crosstalk. I have such a monitor myself (XG2703-GS) and I also can clearly see three crosstalk images, with their exact position depending on the vertical position of the screen the object is moving.

Currently, crosstalk is the lowest on TN panels. IPS is worse, and VA is much worse. So you gotta pick your poison :P I use mine mainly in g-sync mode, not ULMB.
It's a TN panel in ULMB mode.