Downsizing from ASUS MG279Q, choosing the next monitor

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
munchzilla

Downsizing from ASUS MG279Q, choosing the next monitor

Post by munchzilla » 26 Dec 2018, 17:32

Hi Blur Busters!

I am currently looking to downsize, the 27" ASUS MG279Q is not really ideal for my tiny little desk and to be honest my PC isn't really handling the 2560x1440 resolution at 144Hz.

I am very happy with its performance, however, and would like to simply downgrade to something similar in a few key regards - but 2560x1080 or 1920x1080 instead.
When it comes to demanding games, I mainly play CSGO (on a fairly competitive but not LAN tournament level), which requires low input lag and I assume good motion clarity. I however do play a bit of various games that I would just like to look nice and not be a strain on my eyes.

What I like about it is that it has nice dark area detail (I don't know if this has another word for it), but for example with my old TN (QNix 144Hz from South Korea) I could not see the different shades of gray in dark areas in games, and it really was annoying me because no settings were able to fix that for me.
It also (to me) has very good input lag, I used to play on a CRT back in CS 1.6 days and I find this is satisfactory. I wouldn't like to go much slower if slower at all, assuming this is possible of course.
Ghosting seems fine, it's not great, but it works well. I haven't really tried ULMB at home so I have hopes that this could be improved.

I do like my colours being nice and not too vibrant, which is why I went with IPS - but that is definitely not a must, just what I liked the best when comparing monitors when my current one was new.
Contrast could definitely be better on this monitor, having tried a few (non-gaming) VA panels briefly.

From my research, which is what made me even less sure of this all, is that VA panels don't seem to cut it for input lag?
I keep finding super low numbers on displays such as Samsung CFG70/73, but then I found on this very forum (which is why I'm choosing to post here, since I have a feeling many of you are of a more discering kind than the average PC gamer... :lol:)

and that for IPS, I'm stuck with one LG monitor that is just ridiculously big... 34" one, 34UC79G? or 89G?

unfortunately I've had bad experiences with TN in the past, but I am open to being convinced if you deem this necessary... :?

Basically, I want something smaller (22-25", or 29" if ultrawide I think) that has good enough input lag for CSGO at a competitive level, but also has decent colour/contrast quality, preferrably with a 1920x1080 resolution.
Curved is fine, did not mind it at all. Viewing angles aren't really important.
Would love to try motion blur reduction
I don't use high brightness settings.

Sorry for the large amount of text... :D hoping that there is something I have missed in my search - there are so many monitors out there!

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Downsizing from ASUS MG279Q, choosing the next monitor

Post by RealNC » 26 Dec 2018, 18:10

I don't think 1080p high refresh rate IPS panels exist. Maybe you should look into getting a bigger desk instead and a faster AMD GPU :P
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

munchzilla

Post by munchzilla » 26 Dec 2018, 18:16

Haha, I figured this would be the case. but as I said I don't mind if it's not IPS... just happens that I have one right now, because it was one of few available locally I could try before buying, which I liked the most.
and, I really can't get a bigger desk unfortunately :( my GPU is a GTX 1060 6GB, so I'm sometimes wondering if my CPU needs an upgrade rather than the GPU... it seems to still be a good GPU!

Thank you for the reply!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 26 Dec 2018, 19:48

Yeah, a 1060 will struggle to hit 100FPS at 1440p in modern games. Since you're using an nvidia gpu, there's a lot of 1080p g-sync monitors out there. 23.5", 24", 25".

Normally I'd say you should sell your 1060 and get an AMD one to make use of FreeSync with your current display, but since it's a desk space issue, I guess that's not an option.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

munchzilla

Post by munchzilla » 27 Dec 2018, 02:26

I did find a lot of G-Sync monitors indeed, not sure if that is for me though... I actually tend to drop graphics down a lot and would rather take tearing than input lag. It does seem like G-sync doesn't add a lot of it though, so could be a good solution.

Not sure if anyone has tried this one but - AOC C24G1 is on Boxing week sale here, and I saw a review on a site called PC Monitors that seemed very thorough where it seems like input lag is measured really low and that it has a bit less VA glow and all that, coupled with 'good' but not great pixel response times. I will see if they let me try playing around with one, perhaps it could be what I am looking for. 24" VA 144Hz, it is a bit more curved than I was thinking but maybe it's not so bad.

and it is indeed a bit of a bother that I run an Nvidia GPU with a freesync monitor, really wish I could try freesync/G-sync more :-)
Desk is small, my place is really small, so I can't even upgrade my desk to move the monitor further back. It fits in this little 3x2 foot nook that is height-limited as well.

I am honestly mostly worried that my CSGO performance will be hindered, but I have my fingers crossed that they'll let me try some of these monitors to see for myself how it feels!

munchzilla

Post by munchzilla » 28 Dec 2018, 10:22

Hi, just wanted to update - I was able to get the C24G1 to try at home, and I am surprisingly happy with it, thinking I might stick with it.

VA (or at least this one) does not seem to have as much input lag as when I last tried it (EIZO fake 240-Hz one a few years back) - this could be less panel and more this specific monitor though. Satisfactory to me.
The motion blur or ghosting is also surprisingly good, using maximum motion blur reduction settings, and maximum overdrive, currently... it's not great though, I have to admit, but it's better than I expected.

Contrast is amazing, though, so in that regard I am more than happy with the monitor - colours seem just ever so slightly different to the MG279Q side by side, but I'm no expert.