AOC AG251FZ: Doubt about image ratio and refresh rate

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
watermelon

AOC AG251FZ: Doubt about image ratio and refresh rate

Post by watermelon » 28 Dec 2018, 10:19

Hello everybody,

I was thinking buying AOC AG251FZ. I have read in this forum the possibility to use Custom Resolution Utility to put 1024x768 resolution with 240 refresh rate (239.700 to avoid frame skipping: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3598). My question is the next one: Do the monitor allow you to use 1024x768 with 240hz with CRU and use the option of ''Image ratio'' of the menu to rescale the image and play, per example, 17'', 19'', 21,5'', etc? My idea was use CRU to put 1024x768 or 800x600 resolution and 240hz and play with a rescaled image of 17'', 19'', 21'5'', etc. I was used to play on the resolution of CRT monitors. I don't know if this monitor allow you to do this. Any old buyer can confirm this?

Thank you very much.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: AOC AG251FZ: Doubt about image ratio and refresh rate

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Dec 2018, 13:54

GPU scaling lets you do 1024x768 at 240Hz. It's usually more consistent and easier with GPU scaling nowadays.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

watermelon

Post by watermelon » 29 Dec 2018, 21:38

Thank you for your response Chief, I have tried gpu scaling (1024x768, ''no scaling'') and I have had the feeling that the game goes slightly slower, like it was lag, its the same feeling when you have less 60fps in games. Is this real with gpu scaling or its only a feeling (my gpu is a nvidia gtx 760, and my current monitor is LG 22M47VQ-P: 75hz, 2ms)? I want ask you too about the own scaling feature of monitors, why are they worse than gpu scaling?, because with the own scaling feature of monitors you can be more accurate with the image ratio you want it, and what do you mean with ''more consistent''?

Kheri

Post by Kheri » 30 Dec 2018, 06:09

I know that, generally, GPU scaling does add latency. I don't know what kind of feeling that gives or if that explains what you're experiencing.

watermelon

Post by watermelon » 30 Dec 2018, 09:12

I don't know very good how to explain that. It's like you have 55fps, it seems less fluid than I use the same resolution without gpu scaling. Maybe it is due to the refresh rate of my current monitor which has 75hz. I don't know. Anyway, is the own scaling feature of the monitors better than gpu scaling, or it's better buy any monitor and use gpu scaling? The brands than I found that have his own scaling feature are: Benq, Viewsonic, and AOC. Benq 240hz monitors are too expensive for me, Viewsonic 240hz monitors have quite a bit input lag (8ms more or less). AOC monitors are the only one than I found that has his own scaling feature, enough input lag for me (5ms), and aren't too expensive. Or is it better focus on other features of monitors like motion blur, or input lag, but without his own scaling feature, and use gpu scaling?

Thank you

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 30 Dec 2018, 15:43

Kheri wrote:I know that, generally, GPU scaling does add latency.
AFAIK, it doesn't. Display scaling can though, depending on the monitor. Some monitors can add a full frame of lag, some don't add any. It's unknown. GPU scaling is a known factor though. At least on nvidia cards, scaling is done by a fixed logic circuit without a buffer worth speaking of, so it should be doing instant scaling. (So technically it's not really "GPU scaling", since it's not the GPU that does it.)

But we'd need some actual GPU scaling tests to be sure.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Dec 2018, 16:51

Context:

(Just so to acknowledge both parties are correct for different eras)

GPU scaling used to add lots of latency but on modern graphics cards, they now do it virtually laglessly (basically, line-buffered scaling or virtually instantaneous compositing -- a texture resize takes only microseconds nowadays).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!