PG258Q Ghosting?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Pandameister

PG258Q Ghosting?

Post by Pandameister » 28 Dec 2018, 11:16

(Sorry for my poor English :/)

Hi, So yesterday i went out to buy the PG258Q but the store i was buying it from had only one more left and it had already been sent back because of something(they didnt tell me why).So last night i took a closer look at it and didnt find any defects and it works find in games but im when im just in windows or in chrome is get this weird effect looking like "ghoting". Im realy unsure if its just a windows thing or if my monitor has a defect. And when taking the UFO Test theres also no ghosting which confuses me a lot. I added a few videos i took with my notes 8 in superslowmo its not the best but its all i have ;/.

Test in CSGO: https://youtu.be/63KTUad-ml0
Test in Windows: https://youtu.be/kYvH0q4r6E4
Test in Chrome: https://youtu.be/4tfF_lFGsEg

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: PG258Q Ghosting?

Post by RealNC » 28 Dec 2018, 13:22

Hm. Are you using ULMB? Looks like ULMB crosstalk.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Dec 2018, 13:25

RealNC, that's static photography. Normal LCD ghosting effect appears in both ULMB and non-ULMB mode for stationary-eye-gaze situation. Some humans are also sensitive to ghosting even for stationary eye gaze. (eyetracking motion blur blurs this into more familiar LCD ghosting artifacts.)

Pandameister, the effect can show in TestUFO with different background colors, see http://www.testufo.com/ghosting
Try adjusting ASUS overdrive Trace Free settings. See LCD Overdrive Artifacts
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Pandameister

Post by Pandameister » 28 Dec 2018, 14:17

RealNC wrote:Hm. Are you using ULMB? Looks like ULMB crosstalk.
No Im not ;/ .

Pandameister

Post by Pandameister » 28 Dec 2018, 14:23

Chief Blur Buster wrote:RealNC, that's static photography. Normal LCD ghosting effect appears in both ULMB and non-ULMB mode for stationary-eye-gaze situation. Some humans are also sensitive to ghosting even for stationary eye gaze. (eyetracking motion blur blurs this into more familiar LCD ghosting artifacts.)

Pandameister, the effect can show in TestUFO with different background colors, see http://www.testufo.com/ghosting
Try adjusting ASUS overdrive Trace Free settings. See LCD Overdrive Artifacts
To be honest this is my first ever high refresh monitor and all i can find is the OD settings but it only lets me change between off normal and extrem but switching doesnt realy seem to help alot extrem give me just alot of Corona Artifacts and the other to give me slight ghosting. :?: I realy dont know what to do :(

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 28 Dec 2018, 14:27

Does it get better in 144Hz mode?
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Pandameister

Post by Pandameister » 28 Dec 2018, 14:36

RealNC wrote:Does it get better in 144Hz mode?
No it gets worse. :?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Dec 2018, 14:46

Many monitors are prone to ghosting/coronas and you just have to live with them -- though I am not sure if they are unsually bad or not. If your room is cold (winter, freezing) try warming up your monitor for 30 minutes to minimize the ghosting.

1. When you enable GSYNC and let the framerate flow freely -- does the ghosting get better?

2. Have you tried out ULMB yet?

3. If desparate, you can try the dynamic range reduction trick to raise your black levels and/or lower your white levels digitally (via NVIDIA Control Panel), that does reduce the amount of ghosting, but at the cost of reduced contrast. This works because it avoids the overdrive-problematic colors (usually the full whites and full blacks)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 28 Dec 2018, 14:55

Or you might just have found out the reason why this monitor was returned :P