High refresh rate monitor with 60Hz source

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
bhoff

High refresh rate monitor with 60Hz source

Post by bhoff » 31 Dec 2018, 13:21

I recently got a BenQ XL2411P to use with my PS4 and sometimes my PC, but 90% of the time I use it for the PS4 so I'm stuck using it on 60Hz. So that made me wonder, is the input lag is higher since I'm not running it at its native resolution of 1920x1080@144Hz?

Also I tried out the low motion blur mode @ 60hz but the flicker and additional input lag where too much for me to handle; that was the main reason I got the XL2411P so I was thinking about exchanging it for a regular 60Hz monitor, but unless the input lag is lower I'll just keep the XL2411P.

So basically my question is, does a 144/240Hz monitor running at 60Hz have more input lag than a regular native 60Hz monitor?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: High refresh rate monitor with 60Hz source

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Dec 2018, 13:42

bhoff wrote:So basically my question is, does a 144/240Hz monitor running at 60Hz have more input lag than a regular native 60Hz monitor?
Short answer: No

Long answer: It depends on the monitor, because some of them scan-converts (a lag-adding buffering step that only activates at lower refresh rates)

Technical answer: Certain monitors are sometimes affected. Early 240Hz monitors did this, although evidence has arisen that newer 240Hz monitors no longer do this (e.g. the XG248Q anecdotally now has a low-lag 60Hz). This is caused by monitor electronics buffering a slow-scan 60Hz signal on the cable and fast-scanning the buffered refresh cycle faster at 1/240sec onto the panel. For 1080p 144Hz BenQs since the XL2411Z, it's no -- it does realtime synchronous scanout between cable scanout and panel scanout. Your monitor is a definite "No" as it has a low-lag non-strobed 60Hz. Just make sure your "Instant Mode" setting is "ON". The lag is added by the strobe mode.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!