New round of tests coming? Nvidia cards with freesync?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
jorimt

Re: New round of tests coming? Nvidia cards with freesync?

Post by jorimt » 10 Jan 2019, 00:26

Chief Blur Buster wrote:I have a PG258 and an XG258.
The GSYNC and FreeSync versions of the ASUS monitors!
I was going to write about this for Holidays, but now they will become used for this test.

I will do some quick benchmarking.
They will not be as extensive as GSYNC 101 but they will allow me to compare 240Hz VRR.
It will certainly be interesting to see the results :)
phatty wrote:However the cost of the Gsync version is anywhere of 80 to 100 dollars more depending on comparing list vs sale pricing.

If we are at a point in time where it "doesn't matter" if it's gsync or free sync, why spend the extra money on the gsync module
Quality of life improvements, basically.

With every single G-SYNC certified desktop monitor containing a hardware module, you're guaranteed optimal overdrive performance (both in VRR and non-VRR operation), no frame skipping (which can also contribute to a more stable factory overclock mode), ULMB (in most models), as well as optimal performance in the most tricky area for VRR (or for any syncing method, for that matter); low, and/or highly variable framerates within the working refresh rate, effectively all the way down to 0.

Nigh unavoidable frametime variances and spikes caused by the system introduce the most potential issues with VRR, and much of that (especially with frametime spikes) occurs in the lower refresh range.

If everyone could play every game with the framerate at their VRR monitor's max refresh rate at all times with a simple -2 or -3 FPS limit, then no, the difference between hardware-based G-SYNC and software-based FreeSync (1 & 2) wouldn't matter much at all.

But that is obviously rarely the case, and G-SYNC has a hard enough time in these instances doing it with hardware, so I doubt even FreeSync 2 (as far as I'm aware) does it quite as well, and since most people buying these VRR monitors don't have systems that can run all their games (or even most) at framerates at or above their max refresh rate at all times (particularly with games maxed out), how a VRR monitor deals with highly variable (sometimes sporadic) framerate performance, along with how large its working range is (especially at the lower end), can become pretty vital.

So, while, yes, adaptive sync is adaptive sync, G-SYNC is undeniably adaptive sync "plus"; the "premium" may not be worth it to everyone (which is both perfectly acceptable and understandable), but it does have its worth nonetheless.

Also, just because something (if even only slightly) superior (or otherwise) is more expensive than something (if even only slightly) inferior (or otherwise), doesn't mean it shouldn't exist solely because it's more expensive.

That said, history has shown that the superior option doesn't necessarily always win out, so we'll see. Regardless, no matter how it all pans out, I think it's safe to say more accessible, cost effective VRR is a ultimately great thing for every gamer; choice is good ;)

EDIT: Just saw this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... yCiBbQh2fA

Which brings up another point here; with Nvidia making this move, they're going to be basically exposing subpar monitors (frame skipping, vblank/timing issue, no variable/adaptive overdrive, poor VRR range, etc), which will probably indirectly force the QC to improve for the worst of the FreeSync/non-G-SYNC VRR displays.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

celpas

Post by celpas » 10 Jan 2019, 03:55

Now that nvidia cards support FreeSync, does this mean manufacturers will stop producing newer products with midrange gsync panels like Acer xb271hu/Dell S2417DG/S2716DG or will similar new monitors continue to be produced? This would be a downer as gsync modules had some advantages over FreeSync.

pox02

Post by pox02 » 10 Jan 2019, 04:19

Aw2518hf + vt tweak + super fast + gsync the feeling gonna be extreme im ready
monitors xg258q aw2518hf 27GK750F-B pg248q xg240r lg w2363d-pf xb270hu XL2546 XL2546K NXG252R

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Jan 2019, 14:32

FreeSync driver arrived!

It will take a few days to test -- I have a huge slate of other work including this one.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

xenphor

Post by xenphor » 16 Jan 2019, 16:21

I'm most worried that support is limited to Windows 10 with a specific driver version and thus probably more susceptible to any sort of driver/Microsoft shenanigans. I mean we already see how Windowed gsync has been broken for awhile now (I don't have a gsync monitor, just what I've read) so who knows what kind of things will break with this sort of "unofficial" hybrid support of freesync. I'm guessing it won't be very high on the priority list of things to fix for nvidia when even their own gsync implementation does not work correctly in Windowed mode (correct me if I'm wrong; still waiting to buy a VRR monitor until things stabilize). Of course I would love to buy a cheap freesync monitor and have it work fine.

I suppose at this point it's better to just wait for HDMI VRR since Nvidia will probably support that if they are doing this already? That way you will have the most options for VRR.