LG 24MP59G Crosstalk

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
MST

LG 24MP59G Crosstalk

Post by MST » 16 Jan 2019, 02:46

Hello.

I bought this monitor for it's motion blur reduction function.
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/24mp59g

It's a 75hz monitor so I knew I would be seeing a bit of of flicker. It's only visible on white screens really so I don't mind it too much.
Btw don't take this as a recommendation to get this monitor. I am not yet aware what the flicker's effect will be on my eyes after a few days.

But what I am most disappointed about is the crosstalk. Especially at the top and bottom of the screen. In the middle rows only 1 ghost image is noticeable behind the ufo. But in the top and bottom rows, they are present bedhind and in frost of the ufo, and a bit more pronounced. Is there something I can do about this? Aside from response time adjustments which I have already tried. Thanks.

Edit: It's also very visible in the ghosting test. So I am not sure if the proper description is ghosting or crosstalk.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: LG 24MP59G Crosstalk

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Jan 2019, 19:09

Blur Busters' opinion is that 75Hz blur reduction is way too tight against the scanout velocity.

See Advanced Strobe Crosstalk FAQ

Better blur reduction begins at approximately 144Hz, even the very old sub-$200 Acer GN246HL is superior as the current budget-priced blur reduction monitor that has at least ranking of "Good" at http://www.blurbusters.com/crosstalk ... The monitor has ugly ghosting in non-blur-reduction mode which disappears in LightBoost.

You may be able to improve your LG by using Large Vertical Totals. However, this kinda requires overclocking the horizontal scanrate of your monitor a bit.

Rules of thumb for reducing strobe crosstalk
1. You want extra hertzroom above your strobed mode
2. Failing that, you want extra large vertical total room (sometimes this means overclocking the horizontal scanrate)
3. You may want to slightly increase your digital black levels and reduce your digital white levels.

If your LG supports single-strobe 60Hz, try that, and then create a large-vertical-total 60Hz mode using 75Hz timings using Appendix A of http://www.blurbusters.com/crosstalk ... This will worsen flicker but may decrease strobe crosstalk, by enlarging the blanking interval to be more than 15/75ths more of a refresh cycle, which actually creates a valuable few milliseconds to hide LCD pixel response limitations in the blanking intervals between refresh cycles. This will decrease strobe crosstalk and get closer to CRT motion clarity.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

MST

Post by MST » 17 Jan 2019, 07:45

Thank you for the reply and recommendations.

I haven't managed to increase the vertical totals by more than 20-30. Also, strobe is disabled on 60hz.
In the end I think I'm going to give up on the monitor and take it back for refund.

I will try and get an at least 100hz strobing, and preferably a TN panel. I think the excessive crosstalk I'm getting now is because of the 5ms GTG on this IPS panel. In the middle it looks ok but at the top and bottom it looks unbearable.

But if I get a higher refresh rate monitor, won't I have problems when my fps is down to 70? I can't run most games at more than 70-75 fps consistently, that's why I got this 75hz one. What do you suggest for best motion clarity for someone that can't run games consistently higher than 75 fps?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 17 Jan 2019, 16:00

If your FPS falls below the refresh rate, then indeed it's not going to look that good. However, most 144Hz TN monitor should allow you to do 85Hz and 100Hz strobing. It looks like 85Hz is what you're looking for.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

MST

Post by MST » 17 Jan 2019, 22:21

Do you know of any cheaper monitor that can do 85hz without crosstalk? Thank you.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Jan 2019, 22:44

Good 85Hz strobed mainly occurs in 144Hz monitors with a 120Hz ULMB/LightBoost feature. Those support 85Hz strobed.

So you're looking for the cheapest ULMB/LightBoost monitor.

Currently that's the Acer GN246HL which has bad ghosting in non-LightBoost mode, but has great blur reduction in LightBoost mode (85Hz, 100Hz or 120Hz).

At leass than $200, this is the cheapest monitor I've seen that ranks "Good" in the low strobe crosstalk department. Generally, the bigger the non-strobed refresh rate, the clearer (crosstalk-free) the low-Hz strobe often becomes. To go cheaper, requires purchasing a used LightBoost-compatible monitor.

NOTE: Undocumented vertical total tricks to reduce crosstalk needs larger jumps. e.g. Large numbers like VT1350 or VT1500 versus VT1125 are needed to decrease strobe crosstalk by about 25%-50% or so. Ratio of 1500:1080 means the monitor spends (1500-1080)/1500ths of a refresh cycle in the blanking interval between refresh cycles -- VT1500 only adds about 2ms more time to hide LCD GtG pixel transitions between refresh cycles in the dark between strobe-backlight flashes. An increase of only 20-30 doesn't even noticeably decrease crosstalk.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

MST

Post by MST » 18 Jan 2019, 02:43

For some reason I can't find the Acer GN246HL in my country anywhere.
Any other monitors under 200$ that could be good at lower hz?