Best cleaning solution for my monitor?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
buzinski

Best cleaning solution for my monitor?

Post by buzinski » 16 Jan 2019, 05:00

I hope it's not too dumb of a question and I hope this is the right place for it, but what would you suggest I use to clean my monitor? I eat in front of it and that's way too convenient of a habit to break so it gets rather greasy with spots of all kinds after each month and up until now I've been using the only spray my local store sells, a rather crappy one that leaves some white traces which always annoy me.Would it be advisable to use dish washing solution? Used it once some time ago on my old monitor and it did a wonderful job but is it harmful in any way?Maybe isopropylic alc?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Best cleaning solution for my monitor?

Post by RealNC » 16 Jan 2019, 09:34

I bought one of these microfiber cloths at my local supermarket:

http://www.vileda.com/int/microfibre-pad-cloth.html

Optics stores (where you get glasses, contact lenses and such) also have them. It's just 2 or 3 bucks, depending on where you live.

You just make it damp with water (just damp, don't use too much water.) Just water, nothing else. It's best to use distilled water, because depending on where you live, tap water might have minerals that will stick to the display and be visible (they can look like dust or smears on the screen.) Then you clean the display with soft wipes in a circular motion. You don't need to use any detergent or alcohol. Alcohol or strong detergents can damage the display coating. In fact, those white traces you mentioned might be coating damage, if you can't clean them with the microfiber cloth :-/ Or, if you didn't use a microfiber cloth, these might be particles of paper, if you used paper. A microfiber cloth should be able to clean them in that case.

If the display is really dirty with oil/fat stains, you can buy a bottle of display cleaning solution. I never needed one, but I think they also sell them at optics stores.

You can wash the cloth with normal detergent or dish washing solution afterwards, and let it dry it so you get multiple uses out of it. Make sure the cloth is completely free of any particles when you use it again, as they can result in scratches on the display.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

buzinski

Post by buzinski » 16 Jan 2019, 13:48

There's no coating damage I suppose because the solution leaves those traces on other surfaces as well and I always use microfiber.I can clean them with water afterwards but I was wondering if there's display solutions that do away with fats and/or oils and don't leave as many traces. Guess I'll have to order some new ones and hope they'll be better than the one I have.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 16 Jan 2019, 14:37

For spot cleaning, I use "Zeiss" lens wipes, which are individually packaged, disposable, and advertised as AG-safe. They don't leave a residue on mine, but it could depend on the AG coating I suppose.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

MonarchX

Post by MonarchX » 19 Jan 2019, 15:53

Lens cleaning solution for eye glasses with microfiber cloth for eye glasses is as good as it gets. I never had it remove any needed coating material, but water with cloth or cloth alone will not get rid of some materials and only smear them.

k2viper

Post by k2viper » 21 Jan 2019, 04:28

Distilled water + microfibre. Perfectly clean, easy, non toxic and no smells.