Artifacts/flicker on AlienWare AW2518HF, on two units

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
rasqba

Artifacts/flicker on AlienWare AW2518HF, on two units

Post by rasqba » 23 Jan 2019, 09:40

So I just got my AW2518HF monitor replaced, which I did because there was some random flicker/artifacts when specific content was shown on screen.

And the brand new display I got has the same problem, which makes me think whether it's not a problem with my graphics card/PC.

But the artifacts always dissapear after changing preset on the monitor. So for example if while looking at a specific image I see the artifacts, they go away after I change the preset (ex. from Standard to Warm). But they will appear again soon, just on a different image/video.

The problem is present on both 144hz and 240hz, I can't reproduce it on 60hz setting.

What are other things I should check/test? I think I will return this screen as well and go with a different brand because I don't know how to get rid of this problem.

Notty_PT

Re: Artifacts/flicker on AlienWare AW2518HF, on two units

Post by Notty_PT » 23 Jan 2019, 12:02

Never had that problem with mine! Wich makes me thing maybe is a software or your hardware related thing. Did you try a clean windows install? Who knows, I find it weird that 2 different samples would have same problem.

rasqba

Re: Artifacts/flicker on AlienWare AW2518HF, on two units

Post by rasqba » 23 Jan 2019, 12:24

Notty_PT wrote:Never had that problem with mine! Wich makes me thing maybe is a software or your hardware related thing. Did you try a clean windows install? Who knows, I find it weird that 2 different samples would have same problem.
That's what I was thinking as well, that it's weird.
But yes, the system is a clean install, I also tried 3 different video cables (both HDMI and DP).

I also now found a YT vid, which shows a problem exactly like mine, and many people reporting having the same issue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oci3XJcMU8

I think I will have to return the monitor and go with another brand, since this many problems for a monitor this class is too much for me