[Old Thread] Why I'm done with 240hz

All Unidentified Forum Objects go in this area! Any fun alien talk goes in this U.F.O. Abduction Lounge, even topics other than monitors or computers. Introduce yourself!
Notty_PT

Re: Why I'm done with 240hz

Post by Notty_PT » 07 Mar 2019, 08:54

gabethomas wrote:
Notty_PT wrote:
Hypnotic wrote:Hello Notty_PT man im really impressed you've been through the pains a lot and learn so much i will greatly appreciated if help a bit.
I have Acer XF240H 144hz freesync with:
CPU Fx 8320
GPU RX 580 Nitro +
16gb. ram 1866hz.
and planning to try new monitor my f.p.s. is somehow steady most of the time i use Vertical refresh enhanced sync
and amd freesync a.m.d. optimized but i play on full hd,almost everything on low and medium are ViewSonic XG2402 144hz will be better choice i mostly play Battlefield 4 and Destiny 2 for change :) on future i hope World War 3.

Respect ;)
Hi there! TO be honest if you already have a freesync 144hz monitor it isn´t worth it to "sidegrade" to another model, even if that model (ViewSonic XG2402) is better (faster on both input lag and pixel response time). Unless you are an enthusiast and want to try it out, no need to in my opinion! You already have a legit model!

gabethomas wrote:Dear Notty_PT !
I'm only registered for this site, because maybe you can help me. I neverd tried 144hz or 240Hz (had a 14 year old LG FULL HD monitor 60Hz), but I feel as you are totally right with the 240Hz thing.
I wanna buy now a new monitor, but reading after days can not know what is the best options. My first point was 240Hz , but after I read your "Why I'm done with 240hz" now is 144hz.

I want to use the new monitor only for competitive FPS games (primary : fortnite) . My setup : RTX 2060, Ryzen 5 2600x, 3000Mhz G.SKILL RAM.

What do you think which are the best 144hz monitors now ? / * good colors are important us for me / G Sync need or good idea for competitive FPS ?
* Viewsonic not option in my country
Hi there! I would advise you to still try 240hz if you can, because we are all different and you might like it. Altho, if you want to go 144hz route and you can´t buy ViewSonic you have LG 24GM79-B, for example, wich is a great 144hz TN model!

Thank you so much ! I do not really like the LG (external) , but I will se.e.

Only three question if it not problem :
If I bought a 220hz monitor and I do not like it, good idea to use it on lower Hz ? Or on lower Hz i will can feel that bad symptoms as you wrote on this "Why I'm done with 240hz" article. Still dont know good idea as a 240Hz monitor, because on (for example) fortnite I never get fix 200fps in low settings ( RTX 2060 GPU )

What do you think about Acers ? This model ? : Acer Predator XB241Hbmipr or XB252Q

Every Asus had that " bad color symptom" as the XG248Q ?

Really sorry fot the lot of questions, but very hard to find a good monitor, especially if you live in a poor country and you can not try it.
All the 240hz models I tried had a big problem dealing with lower framerates than 200! It gets blurry for my personal taste, bad overdrive, and the experience is not as good as I want it to be!

With that being said, like Chief said, we are all different and you should always try 240hz for yourself. You might not be as picky as me and have a great time with it.

gabethomas

Post by gabethomas » 08 Mar 2019, 02:32

Notty_PT wrote:
gabethomas wrote:
Notty_PT wrote:
Hypnotic wrote:Hello Notty_PT man im really impressed you've been through the pains a lot and learn so much i will greatly appreciated if help a bit.
I have Acer XF240H 144hz freesync with:
CPU Fx 8320
GPU RX 580 Nitro +
16gb. ram 1866hz.
and planning to try new monitor my f.p.s. is somehow steady most of the time i use Vertical refresh enhanced sync
and amd freesync a.m.d. optimized but i play on full hd,almost everything on low and medium are ViewSonic XG2402 144hz will be better choice i mostly play Battlefield 4 and Destiny 2 for change :) on future i hope World War 3.

Respect ;)
Hi there! TO be honest if you already have a freesync 144hz monitor it isn´t worth it to "sidegrade" to another model, even if that model (ViewSonic XG2402) is better (faster on both input lag and pixel response time). Unless you are an enthusiast and want to try it out, no need to in my opinion! You already have a legit model!

gabethomas wrote:Dear Notty_PT !
I'm only registered for this site, because maybe you can help me. I neverd tried 144hz or 240Hz (had a 14 year old LG FULL HD monitor 60Hz), but I feel as you are totally right with the 240Hz thing.
I wanna buy now a new monitor, but reading after days can not know what is the best options. My first point was 240Hz , but after I read your "Why I'm done with 240hz" now is 144hz.

I want to use the new monitor only for competitive FPS games (primary : fortnite) . My setup : RTX 2060, Ryzen 5 2600x, 3000Mhz G.SKILL RAM.

What do you think which are the best 144hz monitors now ? / * good colors are important us for me / G Sync need or good idea for competitive FPS ?
* Viewsonic not option in my country
Hi there! I would advise you to still try 240hz if you can, because we are all different and you might like it. Altho, if you want to go 144hz route and you can´t buy ViewSonic you have LG 24GM79-B, for example, wich is a great 144hz TN model!

Thank you so much ! I do not really like the LG (external) , but I will se.e.

Only three question if it not problem :
If I bought a 220hz monitor and I do not like it, good idea to use it on lower Hz ? Or on lower Hz i will can feel that bad symptoms as you wrote on this "Why I'm done with 240hz" article. Still dont know good idea as a 240Hz monitor, because on (for example) fortnite I never get fix 200fps in low settings ( RTX 2060 GPU )

What do you think about Acers ? This model ? : Acer Predator XB241Hbmipr or XB252Q

Every Asus had that " bad color symptom" as the XG248Q ?

Really sorry fot the lot of questions, but very hard to find a good monitor, especially if you live in a poor country and you can not try it.
All the 240hz models I tried had a big problem dealing with lower framerates than 200! It gets blurry for my personal taste, bad overdrive, and the experience is not as good as I want it to be!

With that being said, like Chief said, we are all different and you should always try 240hz for yourself. You might not be as picky as me and have a great time with it.
Notty_PT you are the best,because you always have good answer and always answering normally. Thank you so much !
Sorry for my bad english. Blurry ! (I dont know this is the correct word in english). On my very old LCD monitor I never felt that.
So blurry effect, because 144-240Hz right ? So this is not the monitor's problem no need to ship back ?

Overdrive : only if I turn on ULMB. Plus in the whites are striped, but only if I turn on ULMB. (but !! with ULMB less blurry and very very very good colors).

I will open a topic for my XB252Q experience. I wanted to help to people as never tried ( or can not try ) 144Hz/240Hz monitors.
I would be honored to see you.

bread

Post by bread » 13 Mar 2019, 05:42

Very informative thread. I read through it but don't think I saw this question answered.

Do the limitations and drawbacks of 240hz still exist when using G-Sync? Shouldn't that technically solve everything because it matches up the refresh rate at lower frames?

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 13 Mar 2019, 07:02

bread wrote:Very informative thread. I read through it but don't think I saw this question answered.

Do the limitations and drawbacks of 240hz still exist when using G-Sync? Shouldn't that technically solve everything because it matches up the refresh rate at lower frames?
It doesn´t solve because these panels are not optimized for lower than 200 framerates. It starts to get really blurry and the overdrive gets really bad. You can notice it easier if you compare side by side with a 144hz monitor

Whit that being said, and as I always mention, everyone should try it! Nothing better than trying stuff and decide for yourself. Try to buy the monitores from stores that assure you a 30 day return policy.

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 17 Mar 2019, 08:22

I didnt read all the messages but you can use a 165hz monitor instead of 144hz or 240hz.My recent monitor is almost a perfect gaming monitor.Asus VG258QR.If you dont like 240hz then go for 165hz instead.But this monitor somehow gives its best performance when you select color format RGB Limited.Weird right?It should be RGB Full instead.Logic doesnt work here.:) :D

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 17 Mar 2019, 12:31

As you can see here, the Asus VG258QR didn´t work to me. I was hoping it would work because 165hz is noticeable better than 144hz, but that monitor is plagued with overdrive problems: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5018&start=50

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 17 Mar 2019, 13:50

I have Nvidia Gpu.I use this monitor with these settings:Tracefree:100,165hz,displayport,RGB Limited,Racing Mode and VividPixel 50.My God VividPixel is a lifesaver.I want to kiss the person who found this setting.:) I like sharp images.I also dont see any major overdrive problems here.Maybe I am not too sensitive.I really dont know.I have very good gaming performance with this monitor.I also dont use ELMB.It is too dark.I play 3 different multiplayer fps.I always were a terrible CS gamer.I somehow play awesome in CS GO now.Awesome headshots which even I cant believe.Other players are mostly angry and they think I am cheating.Yes I am hardware cheating.They are right.I should be banned.:D

bakedchicken

Post by bakedchicken » 18 Mar 2019, 04:58

hey notty, how much more of input lag do you feel with variable refresh rate on the xg2402? is it still less delay than say the xg248q? also have u tried xl2546 with the dyac or strobing or w/e? how do you find that considering people recommended ~180hz? Thanks

PaprikaRolls

Post by PaprikaRolls » 18 Mar 2019, 20:58

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
pox02 wrote:So true take for example black ops 4 this game never reach 240 fps consistant thats why on 144hz panles will look better :mrgreen:
Be noted that there are also a lot of inconsistency between the best 144Hz and worst 144Hz panels.
Oh boy i can relate on that! i just made an account to this website for this reason (gonna make a thread about my adventure).
I bought a 144Hz for my wife, i tired to play some competitive fps games with it. It was worse than on the worse 60Hz i ever tried. I was missing shots grandma could hit eyes closed... It was like on the first 60Hz where you had to lead your shots as the TFT were so bad back then.

I actualy think there should be regulation on monitor refresh rate quality. I belive now there are monitors that are absolutly not capable of displaying 144Hz but are still sold and marketed as "144hz"... maybe it's the frame latency that is skyhigh or something else, anyway it's a plain scam.

This is the horror : https://www.lcd-compare.com/moniteur-SK ... E20-32.htm
I can't even return it as i only tested it now and i bought it like 3 months ago.

You guys think we can sue a compagny for false advertising on the matter of refresh rate?

PS : i'm glad i found this thread, i also read a year ago some reviews of 240Hz, they were claiming it had indeed some drawbacks like slower pixel response time over the best 144Hz (which is odd considering it needs to be faster to operate as optimaly as the 144Hz) some were not even capable of realy displaying 240 frames a second but were varying btw 200 and 240. I'm gonna keep my good 'ol BenQ XL2411T for now and wait for 480Hz to see if there is any improvements with this gen or if it's marketing again.

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 19 Mar 2019, 06:14

480hz?Are you crazy man? :lol: Even 240hz monitors cause problems.Read the reviews from trusted sources and you can easily find good 144 or 165hz monitors.Relax.Some monitors are not that bad. ;)