There's 10ms more input lag on Nvidia than on AMD?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Kulagin

There's 10ms more input lag on Nvidia than on AMD?

Post by Kulagin » 24 Jan 2019, 10:12

So I watched this video:
phpBB [video]

Does that mean that on Nvidia video cards there's 10ms more lag than on AMD cards in CS:GO? Is there a test on normal monitor AMD vs Nvidia in CS:GO with in-game FPS cap somewhere?

Notty_PT

Re: There's 10ms more input lag on Nvidia than on AMD?

Post by Notty_PT » 24 Jan 2019, 11:02

No! Those testes were simply influenced by the monitor Model he used! I can assure you this is not the case because I have several monitors and this never happened. Gsync activaded half input lag of Gsync oFF? No way, this is a problem with that Asus model, nothing else and I´m sure he will adress it soon with a different model.

I think it was an error for him to release the video already, because now everyone on the web is debating wether AMD gpus are faster than Nvidia and it makes no sense.

Kulagin

Post by Kulagin » 24 Jan 2019, 17:30

Notty_PT wrote:No! Those testes were simply influenced by the monitor Model he used! I can assure you this is not the case because I have several monitors and this never happened. Gsync activaded half input lag of Gsync oFF? No way, this is a problem with that Asus model, nothing else and I´m sure he will adress it soon with a different model.

I think it was an error for him to release the video already, because now everyone on the web is debating wether AMD gpus are faster than Nvidia and it makes no sense.
Everyone debating? Give me those links to read, please?
It should be very easy to test: take normal monitor without all this sync stuff and compare on which video card there will be less lag. Might as well test 3 most popular cables: VGA, DVI and HDMI.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 24 Jan 2019, 17:42

Kulagin wrote:
Notty_PT wrote:No! Those testes were simply influenced by the monitor Model he used! I can assure you this is not the case because I have several monitors and this never happened. Gsync activaded half input lag of Gsync oFF? No way, this is a problem with that Asus model, nothing else and I´m sure he will adress it soon with a different model.

Everyone debating? Give me those links to read, please?
It should be very easy to test: take normal monitor without all this sync stuff and compare on which video card there will be less lag. Might as well test 3 most popular cables: VGA, DVI and HDMI.
Check reddit and youtube comments on his video. Even easier than comparing AMD gpu to Nvidia GPU is just enabling and disabling Gsync on any supported monitor and see if the input lag decreases. Because according to his tests the additional Nvidia input lag is gone when he turns Gsync ON, and let me assure you that what usually happens is exactly the oposite. On every monitor I have around here, activating Gsync only added input lag, not a 20ms reduction.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 24 Jan 2019, 18:37

Kulagin wrote:So I watched this video:
phpBB [video]

Does that mean that on Nvidia video cards there's 10ms more lag than on AMD cards in CS:GO? Is there a test on normal monitor AMD vs Nvidia in CS:GO with in-game FPS cap somewhere?
Apparently on that specific monitor between those specific cards, and only in non-VRR modes. That's about all that can be said at this point without him testing more monitor/GPU model combinations, which probably isn't practical.

Possibly a driver issue on Nvidia's side, possibly something else. Who knows at this point?

G-SYNC w/Nvidia GPU and FreeSync w/AMD GPU on that monitor had virtually the same input lag levels, to be clear.
Notty_PT wrote:On every monitor I have around here, activating Gsync only added input lag, not a 20ms reduction.
Seeing as there are now two "forms" of G-SYNC available on desktop setups, were the monitors you "tested" FreeSync monitors using "G-SYNC Compatible" mode or actual G-SYNC monitors using hardware-level G-SYNC mode?
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 24 Jan 2019, 18:41

jorimt wrote:
Kulagin wrote:So I watched this video:
phpBB [video]

Apparently on that specific monitor between those specific cards, and only in non-VRR modes. That's about all that can be said at this point without him testing more monitor/GPU model combinations, which probably isn't practical.

Possibly a driver issue on Nvidia's side, possibly something else. Who knows at this point?

G-SYNC w/Nvidia GPU and FreeSync w/AMD GPU on that monitor had virtually the same input lag levels, to be clear.
Notty_PT wrote:On every monitor I have around here, activating Gsync only added input lag, not a 20ms reduction.
Seeing as there are now two "forms" of G-SYNC available on desktop setups, were the monitors you "tested" FreeSync monitors using "G-SYNC Compatible" mode or actual G-SYNC monitors using hardware-level G-SYNC mode?
I mean on freesync monitors using this software mode gsync! On native gsync modules one I didnt notice any input lag increase.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 24 Jan 2019, 18:49

^ Ah, understood.

Yeah, with how new this driver-feature is, and how much its behavior seems to vary per monitor, it looks like it may be difficult to come up with any repeatable test results unless it is professionally tested with every monitor that can work with this mode.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Jan 2019, 22:06

I think it's a quirk somewhere (monitor issue, driver issue, software issue). I'm reaching out some feelers.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Kulagin

Post by Kulagin » 25 Jan 2019, 09:19

Still, is there a test somewhere Nvidia vs AMD graphics card on a normal monitor without all this sync stuff?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 25 Jan 2019, 15:13

We don't even know if this is an issue that was introduced with the new driver, or it existed previously even before nvidia added freesync support. It might be that driving the monitor in VRR mode is getting rid of latency that was previously there, due to some bug somewhere.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.