PG279Q vs PG278Q vs XL2546

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
stridah

Post by stridah » 27 Jan 2019, 13:15

Hey guys!

So i am looking for some help picking out a new monitor..i am looking for something that will help me from a competitive standpoint and am not concerned on price between the monitors. I currently use an asus VG248qe which i have had since around the time the monitor released & i mostly play PUBG and other FPS games.

Monitors i had in mind:

I am now 34 so my eyes are not what they used to be and would like to upgrade monitors, i was thinking that a slightly higher resolution along with 27" display would help me to spot and see enemies easier then on my current monitor. Which is why i have been looking at the 27" monitors...i also see a decent amount of pro players use these monitors which is a good endorsement. I have also heard great things about the BEN q monitor and was curious if the black equalizer and dyac would improve my game.

I am looking for some recommendations from my experts on which of these monitors would be best for me, or if there is another monitor i should be looking about.

READERS DIGEST:
-Getting old having trouble picking out enemies would like to spot and enlarge them some
-PG279Q vs PG278Q vs XL2546 have been looking at these monitors
-Price tag under 800
-Currently use vg248qe which i would imagine is over 5 years old and i am not spotting as well as i would like on it...

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: PG279Q vs PG278Q vs XL2546

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Jan 2019, 22:18

PG279Q - 1440p IPS - good colors but pixel response is slower than your VG248QE; will be slightly blurrier at same Hz
PG278Q - 1440p TN - this is the older model, try the PG278QR which is newer (165Hz overclocked)
XL2546 - 1080p TN 240Hz - this is the lowest lag model of the bunch with the clearest motion

If you have an NVIDIA graphics card, the PG series will be extremely attractive to you; as GSYNC can help smooth very stuttery FPS games. That said, if you want the lowest-lag GSYNC, one should gravitate towards 240Hz GSYNC monitors.

If you have other needs (bigger text in web browser) because of vision problems, the 1440p can help, you simply zoom the text a bit (e.g. Windows 150% DPI) to make text bigger and sharper. That makes it pleasant on the eyes.

That said, one caveat is that 1440p will reduce framerates, which can increase input lag (GPU frametime latency caused by lower frame rates). Make sure you keep your GPU powerful enough to compensate, if you're going to switch to 1440p. Many games do benefit from 1440p competitively. Even though for certain games like CS:GO, some like smaller screens (23" or 24") to prevent the need to do much eye-tracking. You can also, alternatively simply move the monitor further back if your vision issue is a matter of farsightedness (see better on a monitor slightly further away). But sometimes bigger is better, depends on your vision.

Oh, and if you can afford 1000, then check out the new Lenovo Legion Y27gq which is the first 0.5ms 1440p 240Hz monitor (with GSYNC).

If you're making eSports a professional career and limiting to your choices, then the XL2546 is (currently) the most attractive one.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

stridah

Re: PG279Q vs PG278Q vs XL2546

Post by stridah » 28 Jan 2019, 06:31

I have a 1080 ti for GPU, so i think im between the 278qr and xl2546 which i wish was 27inch...i play mainly pubg which i can not push 240 frames on is the ben q still worth??