AW2518HF + Super fast responses time

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
A Solid lad

Re: AW2518HF + Super fast responses time

Post by A Solid lad » 15 Feb 2019, 06:57

Karisha91 wrote:And plz don’t tell me to set response time to normal. I paid for super fast response time and I’ll stick to it.
Excuse me, but LOL.
This is a classic case of a user getting mislead by marketing terms/names.

You seem to lack an understanding of what exactly the "response time" setting on your monitor does.
It's a pixel overdrive preset.
Which means the higher it is, the more voltage gets pumped into your screen's pixels to force them to transition from color to color faster.
Playing on the preset, which was named "super fast" by the monitor manufacturer won't suddenly make your monitor super fast...
You're not increasing input lag (which you seem to confuse with response time) by using a lower pixel overdrive setting, and vice-versa, you're not decreasing it, by using the preset, which they misleadingly labeled "super fast".

Using overdrive is about finding a balance between eliminating regular ghosting, while not introducing reverse ghosting (aka. overshoot/coronas) and the preset, which they labeled as "normal" is much closer to that perfect balance.

Skip to 35:57 in this video to see a demonstration of:
1st, Ideal overdrive
2nd, Too much overdrive
3rd, Too little OD

EDIT:
I've now read the thread further... it's a shame that nobody else has corrected you and other people who have the same misconceptions.
Let me explain how you "fixed" inverse ghosting on your monitor by enabling VRR:

You're now using the VRR overdrive presets, which the manufacturer apparently set up to be different (lower) than non-VRR (regular) presets.
In other words, the preset labeled as "super fast" (for example) now has what I assume to be roughly the same amount of overdrive gain attached to it, as the "normal" preset has in non-VRR operation.
...In even simpler terms: You didn't fix anything. You're basically using the "normal" response time preset now, it's just labeled differently. (Which is by the way perfectly OK. One should use the overdrive preset, which results in the least amount of image artifacts, not the one which is labeled the most eye-catchingly.)
Ask RealNC, Chief, or anyone else whose words you trust on this forum to confirm what I just wrote.
Discord | Youtube | Twitch
Steam with a list of monitors & mice I've used/use.

Karisha91

Post by Karisha91 » 18 Feb 2019, 03:48

Okay so what do you want to say? I didn’t fix anything? Is there anyway to reduce coronas without using g-sync?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Feb 2019, 04:01

Karisha91 wrote:Okay so what do you want to say? I didn’t fix anything? Is there anyway to reduce coronas without using g-sync?
For other monitors that doesn't have adjustable overdrive presets (not all monitors do in non-VRR mode -- very hairpullingly annoying when I come across monitors like that. Zero overdrive adjustments...)

You could use GSYNC+VSYNC OFF and simply uncap CS:GO.

When CS:GO is running at framerates above refresh rate, the "GSYNC + VSYNC OFF" mode is simply virtually equivalent to VSYNC OFF when the game is always running always above refresh rate. Continuous 300fps GSYNC + VSYNC OFF looks identical to 300fps VSYNC OFF because it's always running at frame rates above maximum refresh rate, so is perpetually in VSYNC OFF mode.

It's a hack workaround for GSYNC Compatible monitors (FreeSync) to use the better overdrive, whenever the monitor looks better with GSYNC enabled.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 18 Feb 2019, 06:27

Karisha91 wrote:Okay so what do you want to say? I didn’t fix anything? Is there anyway to reduce coronas without using g-sync?
I can't make me explanation much simpler...
If you've watched the part of my video, which I recommended you to watch, you could see what changing overdrive gain looks like.
What you did by enabling g-sync/freesync was just attaching a lower overdrive gain value to the "super fast" overdrive preset.
Meaning: If you use the "normal" preset without g-sync/freesync, you'll get more or less the same results.

Here's what u can do clarify how useless your "fix" is for this non-existent problem:
1. Follow this link: https://www.testufo.com/ghosting
2. Follow the UFOs with your eye and observe the amount of ghosting/overshoot you see with your gsync+super fast "fix" in place.
3. Turn off gsync and set overdrive to normal and observe again.

Did the amount of overshoot and ghosting look kinda the same?
If yes, your "fix" is useless.
What you have to understand is that there's nothing more going on in the background.
The presets, "normal", "fast" and "super fast" are just three overdrive gain values.
Using the one, labeled as "super fast" won't make your monitor faster... it's just a misleading name they gave to the stronger overdrive preset...

andrelip

Post by andrelip » 18 Feb 2019, 10:01

A Solid lad wrote:
If you've watched the part of my video, which I recommended you to watch, you could see what changing overdrive gain looks like.
What you did by enabling g-sync/freesync was just attaching a lower overdrive gain value to the "super fast" overdrive preset.
Meaning: If you use the "normal" preset without g-sync/freesync, you'll get more or less the same results.

Here's what u can do clarify how useless your "fix" is for this non-existent problem:
2. Follow the UFOs with your eye and observe the amount of ghosting/overshoot you see with your gsync+super fast "fix" in place.

What you have to understand is that there's nothing more going on in the background.
The presets, "normal", "fast" and "super fast" are just three overdrive gain values.
Using the one, labeled as "super fast" won't make your monitor faster... it's just a misleading name they gave to the stronger overdrive preset...
You are probably right about the overdrive setup but IMO it does change the input lag too. I do not have any scientific way to test since I don't have the LED mod on my mouse.
The "normal" and "fast" overdrive feels draggy and slow and even "super fast" does before the mode get triggered (by enabling and then disabling g-sync). This mode also allowed my CRU to use higher VT on lower resolutions. Maybe it just ignores wherever the blanking interval you have set and just use their own, maybe by changing the way the queue/buffer works for the cable x display scanline. If you don't have this function triggered you could have a similar effect by creating a custom timings for the 1920@240hz mode. I'm calling that triggered because once you send the signal it persists across resolutions, input changes and VRR off.

Karisha91

Post by Karisha91 » 19 Feb 2019, 06:38

A Solid lad wrote:

Thanks for the response!
Anyway when I put it on normal overdrive it has more input lag and so much motion blur I get headache.
G-sync + Vsync off 237 FPS cap best experience so smooth no motion blur no coronas.
Anyway I stayed with just superfast overdrive no g sync no off sync FPS uncapped. I don’t mind for coronas I think they are kind of in my favor, better highlight of enemies:)

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 21 Feb 2019, 17:03

Using a higher amount of overdrive gain (e.g. "super fast" preset on these alienware monitors) does reduce pixel transition times, (at the cost of more overshoot/coronas/reverse ghosting/whatever we'd like to call it) but I wouldn't really call that an input lag reduction...
Input lag comes from signal processing time, which these overdrive presets don't affect.
What they do affect are pixel response times...which are responsible for motion blur/ghosting, of which higher amounts might make the game in question feel more laggy.

<blank>

Post by <blank> » 18 Nov 2019, 17:28

So i did some digging and i think ive found the reason why. It turns out that in cases where you have to quick pan, FPS shooters... 240hz monitors if pixel transition time goes over 4.16ms, it causes blur. The 144hz asus vg248? you used before had lower pixel transition time needed for 144hz at 6.94ms. Im guessing because the colors are awful on it. it's color spectrum must be very narrow on top of having to refresh less frequently and thats why it blurs less cause it has to go through less colors to get to where it needs to be while having more time to do it.
I recently bought 240hz aw2518hf for 230 used and i noticed its slightly more blurry than my bros 144hz benq, but since i dont play fps i dont really care. The colors on this one are 3-4 times better and perceived lower input lag.
Looking at reviews it seems only a few 240hz monitors scratch that region at 4.16 ms to have as little or no blur caused by pixel transition itself.One of them being asus pg258q. And possibly newer models with advertised 0.5ms g2g but those may also go over 4.16 ms transition times.
i cant find reviews with aw2518hf pixel response times. I'm guessing it's input lag is great but pixel response is slightly higher than other 240hz because it's colors are way too good. And thats the trade im willing to take.

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 20 Nov 2019, 09:39

I'm currently running 200hz on my XL2540 (just as good colors as aw2518hf, maybe a tad worse contrast) and I feel like that helps with motion blur, while still being much smoother than 144hz.