Apex legends dynamic vsync

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
rudejim

Re: Apex legends dynamic vsync

Post by rudejim » 22 Feb 2019, 18:38

Notty_PT wrote:
rudejim wrote:
Notty_PT wrote:If you lock framerate to 138fps on 144hz monitor + Gsync/Freesync on these modern games, you have a better experience than with uncapped + 240hz
Is using +fps_max 138 in launch options the best way to cap fps in Apex? And with it locked should Vsync then be off?
You can go on nvidia control panel and force Vsync OFF specifically for APEX legends.

138fps cap with consistent framerate + Gsync works wonders on Apex and on any other shooter. Perfect for great aim, and aim is important in Apex. Don´t fall for the usual streamer setup with uncapped inconsistent framerate (120 to 240fps), because that will only make you play worse. The best player in the world right now on Apex, Dizzy, also caps framerate to a lower value now (144) and he is using a 240hz monitor even. That says something.
Great, thanks for the info. I generally hover between 120 and 140 in Apex, with occasional spikes from 110 to 160. I finally have a 144hz monitor on the way so I want to make sure I get the most out of it.

So just to make sure I followed, my best setup would be Vsync Off, fps capped at 138 + Freesync?

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 22 Feb 2019, 21:53

Exactly! As long as your system can handle it! If not, drop to 120; if not, drop to 100 and so on. Get a steady consistent framerate as much as you can. If in some rare situations you drop a bit lower than 138, no problem, as long as it is not often.

rudejim

Post by rudejim » 23 Feb 2019, 00:15

Notty_PT wrote:Exactly! As long as your system can handle it! If not, drop to 120; if not, drop to 100 and so on. Get a steady consistent framerate as much as you can. If in some rare situations you drop a bit lower than 138, no problem, as long as it is not often.
Right on. Thanks for all the help!

Hirsa

Post by Hirsa » 13 Mar 2019, 23:03

Notty_PT wrote:
rudejim wrote:
Notty_PT wrote:If you lock framerate to 138fps on 144hz monitor + Gsync/Freesync on these modern games, you have a better experience than with uncapped + 240hz
Is using +fps_max 138 in launch options the best way to cap fps in Apex? And with it locked should Vsync then be off?
You can go on nvidia control panel and force Vsync OFF specifically for APEX legends.

138fps cap with consistent framerate + Gsync works wonders on Apex and on any other shooter. Perfect for great aim, and aim is important in Apex. Don´t fall for the usual streamer setup with uncapped inconsistent framerate (120 to 240fps), because that will only make you play worse. The best player in the world right now on Apex, Dizzy, also caps framerate to a lower value now (144) and he is using a 240hz monitor even. That says something.
Hey!
I might be wrong, but I thought having GSync + VSync ON in NVCP was best for GSync because of frametime variance? According to:
https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync ... ttings/15/

I found that the dropping can be annoying but removing the fpx_max argument, and setting VSync ingame to adaptive, made it smooth without any noticeable input lag. Same goes for disabling VSync ingame altogether without the commandline argument, it's more consistent at a constant 144 but less "smooth" than setting it to Dynamic and letting it go to 240, and where it dips it feels fine to me - having fpx_max in the arguments made the game feel choppy and awful for me though.

So is having a constant 146(?) cap by the game better with Vsync set to OFF ingame, or varying 170-240 with Vsync set to Dynamic?
Both with GSync + VSync set to ON in NVCP.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Mar 2019, 00:35

wirerat wrote:I Been playing this on a acer xf250q 240hz. The only way to remove 144fps cap is to set the vsync in game option to dynamic. I am running gsync enabled + vsync enabled in nvcp. My framerate is running average of 180 with some dips here and there to 160. I only can tell this setting turns on vsync in the menus.

I am not certain how this in game dynamic vsync works. Would I be better off just going back to in game vsync off 144fps cap + gsync/vsync enabled nvcp? Both scenerios look smooth and feel responsive. I just prefer the uncapped fps.
Honestly, eSports game developers should read www.blurbusters.com/1000hz-journey as mandatory pre-requisite reading material. We're still a long way in the Refresh Rate Race to future Retina Refresh Rates.

Frame Rate Future Proofing Should Be Standard, Period

Framerate-independent game engine design is a must of the future, whether 10fps or 100fps or 1000fps. Engines can be designed to function properly at any frame rate. The "640K is enough to anybody" mindset shouldn't be applied to frame rates.

Want To Be Popular Like CS:GO or Fortnite?

Game developers, you want a big eSports audience that is durable so you can make it even more popular? Then make your eSports game durable to accomodate future equipment evolution. Otherwise your property doesn't have the durability that CS:GO has so dearly beloved attained.

Want all Blur Busters channels (forums, social media, etc) to toot your game in more positive light?

Even Fortnite is framerate future proofed. That's a Blur Busters Approved move!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!