Input lag is higher on Nvidia Pascal then on AMD Polaris?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
k2viper

Input lag is higher on Nvidia Pascal then on AMD Polaris?

Post by k2viper » 14 Feb 2019, 06:42

Battle(non)sense claims.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 42nx6ubpfg

What I must say, this aspect is completely unexplored.

But some time ago with one of forum users we found that somehow system DPC latency may differ if switching refresh rates.
Here we know that every resreshrate we switch, actually is a resolution with its own set of timings and parameters. I suppose that it may be that different set of timings/parameters different monitors have, are more "suitable" for an Nvidia or an AMD graphics driver and/or their cards' integrated RAMDAC.

Again, this theme is completely unexplored, but the claim is big - is there any real input lag difference between Nvidia cards/drivers and AMD ones, or that was only a given monitor model "fault"? If it was monitor fault, can it be fixed by changing some resolution timings via CRU?

If anyone feel more confident in their English i encourage you to directly ask Battle(non)sense on this case and try to help him explore it deeper.

Notty_PT

Re: Input lag is higher on Nvidia Pascal then on AMD Polaris

Post by Notty_PT » 14 Feb 2019, 08:33

No! I´m so sad that Battle(non)sense uploaded this video and now tons of users around the internet assume Nvidia GPUs create input lag on FreeSync monitors. This is wrong! This test was made on a faulty/weird monitor like the ASus VG25. I can warranty you this is not the case on every other monitor model I tested. Usually the opposite happens, specially on Asus monitors, when you activate VRR the input lag is a bit higher (altho not as high as on that review without VRR).

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Feb 2019, 16:06

Short answer: NO

It definitely affects this particular monitor under this particular version of NVIDIA drivers though.

But multiple sources now has confirmed that this is an exception rather than the rule of thumb -- thankfully!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RamenRider

Post by RamenRider » 15 May 2019, 17:04

Not true, I have a used XFX RX 580 and it has tons more input lag than my gtx 660 and r7 370. And checking on AMD forums, it's not a rare problem. I really hope there's a possible fix for it. :(

https://community.amd.com/thread/235028#comment-2909386
Last edited by RamenRider on 15 May 2019, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 15 May 2019, 17:10

This is the typical "when big youtubers dont do their job right" problem. Same happens with ROcketJumpNinja pn his mice reviews.

Altho I truly respect these dudes, their influencing power is huge, and sometimes they show wrong information. So many people thinks nvidia is laggier than amd or that mouse sensors dont matter due to these guys. Its a shame really