[Pursuit Camera] How to fix freesync displays that works worse on Nvidia

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
andrelip

Re: How to fix freesync displays that works worse on Nvidia

Post by andrelip » 18 Feb 2019, 02:37

k2viper wrote:Nvidia control panel is known as innacurate in reporting exact refreshrate timings. I recommend using CRU to find any differences in current (240hz) refreshrates under Extension blocks.

But, should resulutions under CRU ever be different when freesync/gsync is monitor enabled?
The resolutions there are the same on both cases. But it is static and not the timings that I'm running in the moment.

If I turn on the monitor using my Macbook Pro (RX 560) running Windows and DISPLAYPORT adapter it fixes the problem immediately even when Freesync is off. Using the default apple usb-c to HDMI it did not fix the problem (the HDMI of the adapter don't support freesync and is limited to 144hz). If it is running on OSX then the monitor got overshooting even using displayport.

It persists after I remove the macbook cable and plug the desktop, the display stills good and softMCCS reports the same values it reported when I have enabled and disabled g-sync.

k2viper

Post by k2viper » 18 Feb 2019, 02:46

It is very likely that different signal sources (different graphics cards with their different drivers) are feeding the monitor with slightly different exact timings in their max refreshrate resolution. Look at the exact max resolution timings on your Macbook when the issue is not present with freesync off, and try to modify your Nvidia resolution via CRU with the same exact numbers you found on macbook.

andrelip

Post by andrelip » 18 Feb 2019, 02:50

The timings did change as reported by softMCCS but at CRU they are the same on both the desktop and the mac (with or without the fix). It should be the VCP difference reported by Chief but I have never heard about that before. If there is a way to save the current values and then re-apply I could try that.

k2viper

Post by k2viper » 18 Feb 2019, 03:14

Yes it should be exportable via softMCCS.
You can also try to recreate a resolution via CRU using these values you got changed via softMCCS.