144hz Main Monitor stutter with 60hz secondary connected

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
disq

Re: 144hz Main Monitor stutter with 60hz secondary connected

Post by disq » 17 Feb 2020, 21:56

It appears that this behavior is fixed on Windows 10 2004, as reported on this Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comm ... resh_rate/

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Feb 2020, 22:08

Finally.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm going to break this out on the coverpage as soon as possible.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

disq

Post by disq » 17 Feb 2020, 23:24

Might be a good idea to take a look at this comment first, didn't saw it earlier: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comm ... e/fhx3apm/

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 18 Feb 2020, 01:24

It is certainly good that Microsoft began to do at least something.
But judging by this: It also appears to not work more than 3x the refresh rate of the 2nd monitor. So for example, a 240Hz monitor will be reduced to 180Hz when there is activity on the 2nd monitor running at 60Hz. Progress is not visible.
Yes, the video illustrating the change is inspiring. You can give an example of real-life tasks in which stuttering occurs on the main monitor with values of 75- (130-144).
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 18 Feb 2020, 04:14

Or I do not understand in detail?
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 15:46
Kheri wrote:have you tried using riva tuner's scan line sync feature?
Not even the same ballpark of tool because it's a Windows behaviour issue.
It's like asking for a screwdriver and getting a table saw instead.

The thing is that any sync method ever invented in humankind, doesn't solve the "different-Hz multiple displays stutter problem", and a Windows 10 bug makes it worse.

Example:
1. Open two different http://www.testufo.com windows
2. Put each window on two monitors running at different Hz.
3. You will see the problem.
4. This affects all windowed applications.
The example with two browser windows is clear and the problem is clear. But this is not a typical user task.
https://youtu.be/faKlFoWYGpQ
https://imgur.com/szVrDYE
Yes, this is a solution with crutches. But it's better than waiting for favors from Microsoft.
If we assume that 0.1-0.3 FPS - stuttering.
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

loopy750

Post by loopy750 » 18 Feb 2020, 06:58

This got quite a lot more attention on Reddit than I was expecting, and in multiple subreddits too. Hopefully Mr Chief Blur Buster can chime in too and provide valuable feedback, and possibly even compare his findings to mine and see what he thinks of the situation. From my understanding I believe other OS's such as macOS and Linux (still) suffer from the exact same issue, so it's good to see Microsoft (finally) getting on top of it.

Using Firefox, I was seeing some glitching (on the 144Hz monitor) when the 2nd monitor was running at 60Hz, but overclocked to over 70Hz was fine. So as I mentioned, I don't think its 100% there just yet, but with more people testing it out, hopefully MS can iron out any remaining bugs.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Feb 2020, 18:59

Yes, several news websites covered your reddit.

It's a widespread problem that many people have been complaining about to Microsoft.
New Windows Update Improves Mixed-Hz Multimonitor — With One Caveat

I used this opportunity to remind about Window's 512Hz hardware limitation which is starting to stymie some of us who are already experimenting at >512 Hz in the laboratory (forcing us to use Linux for some tests)...

This will soon interfere with the refresh rate race to retina refresh rates, as the diminishing curve of returns disappears far beyond 512 Hz. It is necessary to double Hz (60Hz -> 120Hz -> 240Hz -> 480Hz -> 960Hz...) to keep sufficiently worthwhile visible improvement. 144Hz->360Hz is a similar numeric ratio as 60Hz->144Hz. Small refresh rate increases are invisible at really high Hz, necessitiating larger jumps upwards. GPU frame rate amplification technologies will have to begin playing a role.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!