About Asus VG258QR input lag

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Erdo4
Posts: 11
Joined: 21 Feb 2019, 12:05

Re: About Asus VG258QR input lag

Post by Erdo4 » 23 Feb 2019, 07:38

@pox02

I have recieved VG258QR just now. G-SYNC enabled in CP. (417.71 Driver)
Last edited by Erdo4 on 23 Feb 2019, 09:18, edited 1 time in total.

pox02
Posts: 138
Joined: 28 Sep 2018, 06:04

Re: About Asus VG258QR input lag

Post by pox02 » 23 Feb 2019, 07:44

no artifacts ? frame skipping? test it with 165hz 100 Trace if you can :)

https://www.testufo.com/frameskipping
https://www.testufo.com/inversion
https://www.testufo.com/ghosting
monitors xg258q aw2518hf 27GK750F-B pg248q xg240r lg w2363d-pf xb270hu

Erdo4
Posts: 11
Joined: 21 Feb 2019, 12:05

Re: About Asus VG258QR input lag

Post by Erdo4 » 23 Feb 2019, 09:17

pox02 wrote:no artifacts ? frame skipping? test it with 165hz 100 Trace if you can :)

https://www.testufo.com/frameskipping
https://www.testufo.com/inversion
https://www.testufo.com/ghosting
Little bit of ghosting with 80 and 100. (80 acceptable, 100 not for me) Perfect image at 60 Trace @165hz
No frameskipping at @165hz.
I couldn't see any artifacts at test.

pox02
Posts: 138
Joined: 28 Sep 2018, 06:04

Re: About Asus VG258QR input lag

Post by pox02 » 23 Feb 2019, 10:43

Erdo4 wrote:
pox02 wrote:no artifacts ? frame skipping? test it with 165hz 100 Trace if you can :)

https://www.testufo.com/frameskipping
https://www.testufo.com/inversion
https://www.testufo.com/ghosting
Little bit of ghosting with 80 and 100. (80 acceptable, 100 not for me) Perfect image at 60 Trace @165hz
No frameskipping at @165hz.
I couldn't see any artifacts at test.
interesting ! gsync work flawlessly? without any issues? :roll:
monitors xg258q aw2518hf 27GK750F-B pg248q xg240r lg w2363d-pf xb270hu

Erdo4
Posts: 11
Joined: 21 Feb 2019, 12:05

Re: About Asus VG258QR input lag

Post by Erdo4 » 23 Feb 2019, 11:40

pox02 wrote:
Erdo4 wrote:
pox02 wrote:no artifacts ? frame skipping? test it with 165hz 100 Trace if you can :)

https://www.testufo.com/frameskipping
https://www.testufo.com/inversion
https://www.testufo.com/ghosting
Little bit of ghosting with 80 and 100. (80 acceptable, 100 not for me) Perfect image at 60 Trace @165hz
No frameskipping at @165hz.
I couldn't see any artifacts at test.
interesting ! gsync work flawlessly? without any issues? :roll:
I haven't tested yet but I'm pretty sure it will work. Since older model was in supported list.

LordGurciullo
Posts: 39
Joined: 26 Feb 2019, 14:31

Re: About Asus VG258QR input lag

Post by LordGurciullo » 26 Feb 2019, 23:45

How about with ELMB ON at 144hz??
Is that awesome? Hows the input lag and response time with ELMB?

LordGurciullo
Posts: 39
Joined: 26 Feb 2019, 14:31

Re: About Asus VG258QR input lag

Post by LordGurciullo » 26 Feb 2019, 23:53

pox02 wrote:
Erdo4 wrote:
Notty_PT wrote:VG258Q and VG258QR are the exact same model:
Article updated to reflect apparent re-designation. ‘Q’ suffix replaced with ‘QR’, with 165Hz refresh rate and 0.5ms specified response time. News piece below initially published 30th March 2018.
https://pcmonitors.info/asus/asus-vg258 ... -freesync/

I would stay away from this monitor.

Trust me, nothing will beat the ViewSonic XG2402 unless you really want strobing.
I'm so confused.. Also another test shows that VG258QR has very minimal input lag. They also told in that review VG258QR is the fastest monitor they have ever tested for input lag time.

VG258QR input lag test at different settings;
https://www.prad.de/testberichte/test-a ... monitor/5/
its true vg258qr is really fast monitor the only problem is the strobing(ELMB) but you can turn it off on osd if you can get vg258qr take it
Why is this a problem? Don't we want that?

MentalSharps
Posts: 1
Joined: 25 Feb 2019, 00:15

Re: About Asus VG258QR input lag

Post by MentalSharps » 27 Feb 2019, 07:11

I have this monitor - but I can't see any option for G-Sync in NVCP.

In NVCP when I go to "set up multiple displays" or System Information, it lists my monitor as "VG258" -- could that be why? If it was properly detected should it not say VG258QR?

My GPU is RTX2060 and It's connected via DisplayPort.

EDIT: found my answer, I need Windows 10: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/10 ... er-thread/

Is it worth it for me?

I'm currently playing Apex at 120hz with freesync off, and with +fps_max 115 and the in-game dynamic framerate adjustment set to lower the render scale and keep it steady at 115, in certain parts of the map where the fps drops.

What benefit would enabling G-Sync give me?

Erdo4
Posts: 11
Joined: 21 Feb 2019, 12:05

Re: About Asus VG258QR input lag

Post by Erdo4 » 27 Feb 2019, 09:22

I have tested Gsync on VG258QR and couldn't find any issue. There was no flickering, no shuttering etc.. It was like my old actual gsync monitor. So it perfectly works!

I want to test ELMB further when I have time. Best thing is ELMB works up to native hz on this model. It's great! That mean is I can actually use ELMB @165hz.

I have activated ELMB when I installed the monitor first time just for a sec on OSD - brightness level while it's on actually impressed me... I was excepting very dark brightness level with ELMB on. I will test it further with games when I have time.

So far - It's great. I've bought X-Rite ColorMunki Display hardware to calibrate it close to perfect. I'm sure it will shine more once it's properly calibrated. I can't wait... :)

pox02
Posts: 138
Joined: 28 Sep 2018, 06:04

Re: About Asus VG258QR input lag

Post by pox02 » 28 Feb 2019, 11:30

LordGurciullo wrote: Why is this a problem? Don't we want that?
strobing is bad for fast action (inputlag)
monitors xg258q aw2518hf 27GK750F-B pg248q xg240r lg w2363d-pf xb270hu

Post Reply