About Asus VG258QR input lag

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Notty_PT

Re: About Asus VG258QR input lag

Post by Notty_PT » 01 Apr 2019, 08:02

Previously you used it at 120hz right? That may be the reason why it was worse than now at 165hz. A lot of monitors are not optimized for anything different from their actual out of the box refresh rate. For example, most 144hz monitors are really bad at 60hz. Maybe this model is not as good at 120hz/144hz as it is at 165hz, just like 240hz monitors are really bad at lower refresh rates.

kse617

Post by kse617 » 01 Apr 2019, 13:10

Got the monitor and did a few tests in Overwatch. Input lag is great (I mean low) and the panel is fast as hell, I can even say at 165Hz it matches the AW2518HF in responsiveness at 240Hz.

The text though... it's blurry as hell and can't seem to fix it. Setting VividPixel to 50 helps but even then, compared to the AW, it still looks off. When gaming with any VividPixel setting the picture is either blurry or oversharpened. I do 70% programming/office work and 30% gaming so it definitely hurts the whole display experience.

Is this a known issue and it's my fault for not reading the whole thread? :oops:

Between this and my recent experience with Asus motherboards I'm starting to lose faith in all their products.

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 01 Apr 2019, 13:27

kse617 wrote:Got the monitor and did a few tests in Overwatch. Input lag is great (I mean low) and the panel is fast as hell, I can even say at 165Hz it matches the AW2518HF in responsiveness at 240Hz.

The text though... it's blurry as hell and can't seem to fix it. Setting VividPixel to 50 helps but even then, compared to the AW, it still looks off. When gaming with any VividPixel setting the picture is either blurry or oversharpened. I do 70% programming/office work and 30% gaming so it definitely hurts the whole display experience.

Is this a known issue and it's my fault for not reading the whole thread? :oops:

Between this and my recent experience with Asus motherboards I'm starting to lose faith in all their products.
Yes default setting "racing mode" is weird.So try "FPS mode".Decrease saturation to 40 because it is too colorful.Also you can decrease contrast to 70.Now it must be better.I didnt touch sharpness but increased vividpixel to 50.All great on my screen.Image,text all sharp. ;)

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 01 Apr 2019, 13:29

kse617 wrote:Got the monitor and did a few tests in Overwatch. Input lag is great (I mean low) and the panel is fast as hell, I can even say at 165Hz it matches the AW2518HF in responsiveness at 240Hz.

Well, that´s exactly what I´ve been mentioning about the monitor around here. Input lag wise it is one of the fastest monitors I ever used. it was faster than ViewSonic XG2402 and it was just as fast imo as every 240hz monitor I used, apart from XG248Q and XG258Q. These 2 monitors are the only 240hz monitors that have what I call the "correct" scanout for 240hz. The other 240hz models are laggy. They are still faster than 144hz models because their refresh is 240hz.

But for example, Benq XL2540 measured at 3,7ms on Rtings, is only 0,4ms faster than XG2402 144hz measured at 4,1ms. When in fact it should be 2,5ms, not 3,7ms.

Back to Vg258QR. Backlight bleed was almost inexistant, so was clouding. But you notice the overdrive problems on the text because that´s where it is easier to notice that kind of problems, like I mentioned on this thread. A simple scroll even on this forum or any webpage with text, and you will see how poorly the panel deals with fast movement. I´m talking about my sample ofc, a lot of people on this thread are happy with the monitor.

The thing is that YOU, just like me, have a side by side comparasion, and that´s when you notice these things easier. I´m spoiled by the masterpiece that is ViewSonic XG2402 so I can notice overdrive and text problems quickly.

Anyway, if you use Racing mode the text will be blurry, no matter what, on every Asus model. You should use "user mode" or "fps mode". Do not use vivid pixel because it is known to add considerable input lag on Asus monitor (it increases signal processing to deliver a sharper image). Also try to use "warm" on colour mode, instead of user mode or other modes, and turn contrast and brightness down as much as you can. After all these steps there is nothing more you can do.

And I will repeat what I said earlier, if you or anyone detects problems with text/web pages/windows dragging/windows work, YOU WILL one day notice all those problems in a game. Just depends on the colours and glare of that specific game. Some games are less prone to overshoot problems than others.

I need to say again, I had this on my sample, doesn´t mean is the same for everyone as there are people here happy with this model. And be aware that I´m spolied by the masterpiece called ViewSonic XG2402. After using this GodLike monitor it is hard to use anything else :!:

kse617

Post by kse617 » 01 Apr 2019, 14:30

Thank you both for your replies. I changed to FPS mode and everything was immediately better. I thought the modes were just presets but I was wrong.

To be clear, the blurriness only applied to static text in my case. I set VividPixel to 0, "warm" on color mode and TraceFree to 40 and there's no blur to be found. There's only some in fast movements in games but at a very acceptable level (again, besting my AW2518HF at 240Hz) and with no overshoot. Even more, the input lag is minimal.

Overall I can say I'm happy now :)

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 01 Apr 2019, 15:08

Good to see another happy owner of this very fast monitor. ;)

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 01 Apr 2019, 15:17

Nice! Rule of thumb on every Asus recent model:

- Never use Racing mode, always "user mode" or "fps mode", because the other modes completly ruin image quality
- Always use Warm Colour or Normal if you can, because for some reason it makes the overdrive behave better
- Never use vividpixel because it adds lag
- Always use the cables that come with the monitor becuase some Asus models glitch a lot on both image or stability with different cables

Also, on Trace Free 40 you have no overdrive problems, that´s correct! I mentioned that on my analysis too, but the problem is that at TF 40 it is as fast as an IPS monitor! Wich means it is not on TN standards, by any means! And that was my concern. As soon as I use TF 60 on that model I immediatly get awful overshoot!

It was like:

TF 0 - No issues, IPS ghosting
TF 20 - No issues, IPS ghosting
TF 40- No issues, IPS ghosting
TF 60 - overshoot on bright colours, TN ghosting
TF 80 - overshoot on every colour, eyes hurt just by dragging windows
TF 100 - overshoot on every colour, impossible to use to me

My LG IPS screen was faster than Asus VG258QR, pixel response wise, if I used Trace free from 0 to 40. And to me that´s unnaceptable.

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 01 Apr 2019, 20:04

Notty_PT wrote:Previously you used it at 120hz right? That may be the reason why it was worse than now at 165hz. A lot of monitors are not optimized for anything different from their actual out of the box refresh rate. For example, most 144hz monitors are really bad at 60hz. Maybe this model is not as good at 120hz/144hz as it is at 165hz, just like 240hz monitors are really bad at lower refresh rates.
I decided to check this. The issue is not in the old graphics card, it's in the hdmi conection. That blue light trail over the cursor showed up. With DP works fine at lower hz.
When i connected again trough DP, that issue remained to my surprise! Then i noticed FreeSync was 'off' and as soon i turned it 'on' the overshoot was gone. I disabled FreeSync and it remained fine.

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 01 Apr 2019, 21:18

Notty, I can assure you that my monitor with TraceFree 60 is perfect and exactly the same as 40.
At TF 100 in ufo ghosting test there is overshoot at the top and middle background but I have to get close to the monitor and pay attention to it. I do this with my eyes, not a camera.
And in games I have no visible overshoot even with TF 100.
So when you say that with TF 100 it's unbearable, something is really wrong there because I have no issues or I would notice it like I did with hdmi, in desktop and in games.

Now, I decided to experiment with the monitor presets and change their settings and found that they do affect visible overshoot. I believe your issue comes from here or else i cannot explain how mine is really perfect at 60. I'm using Racing.
At defaults, only Cinema and sRGB showed up huge overshoot so I started thinkering with their settings with ufo test open and I could tell how they reduce or increase overshoot.

I picked Scenery and got to a good balance, I think even better than I had because I can now read text while using mousewheel up/down.
This is all experimental since I'm seeing myself testing this alot until I get to a final configuration but I'll leave my current settings if anyone wants to try.
One more thing, just noticed the Blue Light Filter selects Racing, so careful with that.

Scenery Mode:

Brigthness 80
Contrast 50
Saturation 50
Color Temp Normal
Skin Tone Natural
Smart View OFF

Sharpness 50
TraceFree 100 (with 60 scrolling text is clearer)
VividPixel 0
ASCR OFF
FreeSync ON/OFF (seems to work the same)
ELMB OFF

I'm going to record a game (QuakeWorld) around this week, where i can set wall/floor textures RGB colors so it can show any existing overshoot and upload it somewhere.

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 02 Apr 2019, 02:36

Caution google translate.
All that I write is a purely subjective assessment that could affect my computer errors.
I will ask to refrain from comments to all users except moderators. That would not have appeared a wave of false rumors and disputes.

A year ago, I had a xl2730z monitor. Two 1080ti and r9nano video cards were installed in my computer.
(If for g-sync monitors there is a term "dynamic overdrive", then for monitors without a module such as g-sync I will use the term "static overdrive freesync" ("sofs" -on vrr-on, "sofs" -on vrr- off, "sofs" -off.) I don't know the correct term = /)
It was easy for me to compare how overdrive changed when switching between cards. And I could tell exactly which card I was connected to at the moment just by looking at the text in Google Chrome.
When connected to r9nano, regardless of the position of the on / off switch in the software Radeon. I watched "sofs".
Also regardless of the position of the on / off switch in the software Radeon https://imgur.com/V2n25CS. The monitor's on-screen menu reported that freesync is on https://imgur.com/T8ZttvH. Although vrr did not work.
The xl2730z at 120 Hz is the brightest ulmb with r9nano "sofs."
When switching to 1080ti ulmb, the 120 hertz is not so bright anymore.
Also, if I edited edid and remove the freesync data using the Custom Resolution Utility (CRU), I didn’t see any difference when switching the display port between the video cards.

Perhaps "sofs" is not activated for some reasons always.
Notty_PT wrote: Then i noticed FreeSync was 'off' and as soon i turned it 'on' the overshoot was gone. I disabled FreeSync and it remained fine.

It may also explain the changes in input delay in this youtube video.https://youtu.be/L42nx6ubpfg

As far as I understood (and this is not just for me), the author of the video did not understand what the problem was, reinstalled the operating system and drivers, but the result did not change.
maybe https://imgur.com/e4FUHoC
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.