About Asus VG258QR input lag

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: About Asus VG258QR input lag

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Feb 2019, 16:52

pox02 wrote:
LordGurciullo wrote: Why is this a problem? Don't we want that?
strobing is bad for fast action (inputlag)
It depends on the player and how you use strobing.

The lag of strobing is only 2 milliseconds on some displays, and there is a HOWTO: Using ULMB Beautifully or Competitively

In short, it works better in very scrolly games games that don't have a crosshairs -- the advantages in some cases outweigh the drawbacks. It's in the correct use of the right tool for the right job.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 11 Mar 2019, 11:52

Erdo4 wrote:I have tested Gsync on VG258QR and couldn't find any issue. There was no flickering, no shuttering etc.. It was like my old actual gsync monitor. So it perfectly works!

I want to test ELMB further when I have time. Best thing is ELMB works up to native hz on this model. It's great! That mean is I can actually use ELMB @165hz.

I have activated ELMB when I installed the monitor first time just for a sec on OSD - brightness level while it's on actually impressed me... I was excepting very dark brightness level with ELMB on. I will test it further with games when I have time.
I had my choice made two months ago with ViewSonic XG2402 (waiting for a lower price and also waiting for a review of ASUS VG279Q), but this one is practically at the same price with 2,3ms input lag (new record ?!) and ELMB.
Considering all these points, i must say this is an excellent gaming monitor.

Erdo4, comment your impressions using ELMB.

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 11 Mar 2019, 11:59

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
pox02 wrote:
LordGurciullo wrote: Why is this a problem? Don't we want that?
strobing is bad for fast action (inputlag)
It depends on the player and how you use strobing.

The lag of strobing is only 2 milliseconds on some displays, and there is a HOWTO: Using ULMB Beautifully or Competitively

In short, it works better in very scrolly games games that don't have a crosshairs -- the advantages in some cases outweigh the drawbacks. It's in the correct use of the right tool for the right job.
In this case, 1000/165/2 = 3+2,3 = 5,3.
Unless there are some additional factors that Chief might want to explain.
For those that will not notice 2,3 from 5,3, this is great with first person shooters!!
Most monitors have 5ms input lag without blur reduction.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Mar 2019, 15:33

There's the latency gradient to also think of. The relative lag of top edge versus bottom edge of the screen becomes equallized more (e.g. top edge becomes laggier to match bottom edge) when strobing is enabled. That's the reason for "average half a refresh cycle extra lag". The XL2546 at 240Hz, has a 4.2ms refresh cycle, and the middle of that is 2ms. But is actually +0ms for certain parts of screen and +4ms for opposite parts. Averaging to 2ms lag.

Tuning the input lag of strobing is the easiest with BenQ ZOWIE monitors, as seen in the strobe tuning animations. There is a section in the Blur Busters Strobe Utility in the FAQ at the bottom about how input lag shifts up/down with the strobe tuning. But this is of interest only to those hugely super picky about those milliseconds.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 11 Mar 2019, 19:11

Does blur reduction work well with fps multiples of hz?
165hz + 1155fps ?

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 12 Mar 2019, 09:32

MatrixQW wrote:
Erdo4 wrote:I have tested Gsync on VG258QR and couldn't find any issue. There was no flickering, no shuttering etc.. It was like my old actual gsync monitor. So it perfectly works!

I want to test ELMB further when I have time. Best thing is ELMB works up to native hz on this model. It's great! That mean is I can actually use ELMB @165hz.

I have activated ELMB when I installed the monitor first time just for a sec on OSD - brightness level while it's on actually impressed me... I was excepting very dark brightness level with ELMB on. I will test it further with games when I have time.
I had my choice made two months ago with ViewSonic XG2402 (waiting for a lower price and also waiting for a review of ASUS VG279Q), but this one is practically at the same price with 2,3ms input lag (new record ?!) and ELMB.

Where did you see those values? We cant compare values from different websites/methods input lag wise. With that being said I firmly believe this monitor is really fast because it has game fast input technology. Every asus monitor with this tech is really fast. What concerns me with asus are the awful contrast/panel lottery and overdrive

pox02

Post by pox02 » 12 Mar 2019, 11:30

Notty_PT wrote:
MatrixQW wrote:

Where did you see those values? We cant compare values from different websites/methods input lag wise. With that being said I firmly believe this monitor is really fast because it has game fast input technology. Every asus monitor with this tech is really fast. What concerns me with asus are the awful contrast/panel lottery and overdrive
I agree
monitors xg258q aw2518hf 27GK750F-B pg248q xg240r lg w2363d-pf xb270hu XL2546 XL2546K NXG252R

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 12 Mar 2019, 14:05

Notty_PT wrote:Where did you see those values? We cant compare values from different websites/methods input lag wise.
Prad. Uses the same method as rtings.
Notty_PT wrote:What concerns me with asus are the awful contrast/panel lottery and overdrive
Maybe this model has less issues. Erdo4 seems to be satisfied.
I bought it for 271€ (returned product from a local shop) and will receive it tomorrow. If it's fine i just made a great deal since it costs 350€ in my country.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 12 Mar 2019, 14:24

MatrixQW wrote:
Notty_PT wrote:Where did you see those values? We cant compare values from different websites/methods input lag wise.
Prad. Uses the same method as rtings.
Notty_PT wrote:What concerns me with asus are the awful contrast/panel lottery and overdrive
Maybe this model has less issues. Erdo4 seems to be satisfied.
I bought it for 271€ (returned product from a local shop) and will receive it tomorrow. If it's fine i just made a great deal since it costs 350€ in my country.
Prad uses a slightly different methodology from Rtings, because they take pixel response time into account aswell, so their values are always really different from Rtings ones. You can see that by comparing the same models reviewed on each website. For example they quoted XG240R as 1ms signal delay (this monitor is supossely faster than the XG2402). While Rtings quoted 4,1ms for XG2402. I don´t believe XG240R is 4 times faster than XG2402. We can´t compare the raw numbers between both websites.

With that being said I believe VG2548QR is fast, just like any Asus monitor with "game fast input technology". They have shown me this technology makes the input lag amazing. The problem is that Asus overdrive on their newest models has been awful, similar to some IPS monitors.

Hope to see your feedback tomorrow. I might get one tomorrow aswell, they are going for 304€ here where I live, I might pull the trigger to try it out. 165hz (160fps to avoid heavy bottom tearing) are easily achievable on any game with a good CPU. Nothing compared to 240fps. So why not go from 144hz to 165hz right? :D

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 13 Mar 2019, 11:16

Notty_PT wrote:Prad uses a slightly different methodology from Rtings, because they take pixel response time into account aswell, so their values are always really different from Rtings ones. You can see that by comparing the same models reviewed on each website. For example they quoted XG240R as 1ms signal delay (this monitor is supossely faster than the XG2402). While Rtings quoted 4,1ms for XG2402. I don´t believe XG240R is 4 times faster than XG2402. We can´t compare the raw numbers between both websites.
XG240R:
The input lag is not 1ms. It's 3,6ms with 'Faster' and 3ms with 'Fastest'.
The pixel response times are in the graphs.

VG258QR:
Input lag 3,6ms with 'Trace Free 60' and 2,3ms with 'Trace Free 100'.
The pixel response is better than the XG240R.
Notty_PT wrote:Hope to see your feedback tomorrow. I might get one tomorrow aswell, they are going for 304€ here where I live, I might pull the trigger to try it out. 165hz (160fps to avoid heavy bottom tearing) are easily achievable on any game with a good CPU. Nothing compared to 240fps. So why not go from 144hz to 165hz right? :D
I'm waiting for a new graphics card to be able to use 165hz, freesync and ELMB.
I tried 5 minutes of QuakeWorld 120hz trough hdmi and noticed no input lag, no blur, no backlight bleed, no clouding, no issues, nothing. Perfect panel ?
So i imagine that at 165hz it will work perfectly.
Once i get the graphics card i'll test ELMB an freesync.