About Asus VG258QR input lag

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
karavanasam

Re: About Asus VG258QR input lag

Post by karavanasam » 08 Apr 2019, 15:33

Zoart wrote:
karavanasam wrote:Oh.Then you should ask pixel inversion to Notty_PT aka professor of monitors.This is his profile memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3372
Good luck. ;)
Thanks, though I'm kind of limited to what I can currently do on the forum because I just registered. I can't send him a PM or get his attention here.
Ah ok I will send pm to him for you.Dont worry.What are friends for? :D

Zoart

Post by Zoart » 09 Apr 2019, 03:07

karavanasam wrote:
Zoart wrote:
karavanasam wrote:Oh.Then you should ask pixel inversion to Notty_PT aka professor of monitors.This is his profile memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3372
Good luck. ;)
Thanks, though I'm kind of limited to what I can currently do on the forum because I just registered. I can't send him a PM or get his attention here.
Ah ok I will send pm to him for you.Dont worry.What are friends for? :D
Thank you! I really appreciate it. :D

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 09 Apr 2019, 12:24

Happy to help.:)
I am sure he bought another monitor and he is testing it like crazy.He will come soon.:)

Zoart

Post by Zoart » 10 Apr 2019, 15:07

karavanasam wrote:Happy to help.:)
I am sure he bought another monitor and he is testing it like crazy.He will come soon.:)
I think I forgot to ask. But how is the clouding on the monitor? I noticed that on the prad.de there is some vertical clouding on a black image, ofcourse this differs on every unit. I'm curious of how good it is on other units

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 10 Apr 2019, 15:27

I forgot to write one program I used to test my monitor.TirealTFTtest
Result was flawless.Nothing wrong.The most clean monitor screen I ever owned.:D
I googled clouding.I dont think my monitor has that kind of problem.If it has,it is minimum probably.
If you increase overdrive you will see color ghosting on bright screen when you surf but not noticable in games.My GPU also doesnt like RGB Full and RGB Limited somehow when I use this monitor.It only gives its best performance if I select Ycbcr 4:4:4 somehow.Maybe I need a different gpu.I googled it.People say ycbcr and rgb full isnt that different so no problem for me.:D

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 10 Apr 2019, 19:25

Hi there. There is huge pixel inversion on this model, yes! Or I mean, on the model I had, because several users on this thread are very happy with this model, wich makes me think it varies A LOT between samples. Wouldn´t be surprised if that is the case, because Asus QC is non existant, they have both awful and great products with the same model line.

As for clouding, my sample had next to nothing! It was one of the best monitors I ever had on that department. No clouding, no backlight bleed, a pretty black screen without obvious flaws on any corner! This is typical from these new AUO panels (both 24,5 and 27 samples, both 60hz/75hz, 144hz/165hz and 240hz). They have a great contrast for TN, great colours for TN.

I didn´t have the chance to get another VG258QR because they are getting more and more expensive here in Europe. 310€-320€ for a 165hz panel with 240hz models costing almost the same price, is too overpriced! When I get a good price I will pull the trigger on another sample.

Cheers

Zoart

Post by Zoart » 11 Apr 2019, 03:05

Notty_PT wrote:Hi there. There is huge pixel inversion on this model, yes! Or I mean, on the model I had, because several users on this thread are very happy with this model, wich makes me think it varies A LOT between samples. Wouldn´t be surprised if that is the case, because Asus QC is non existant, they have both awful and great products with the same model line.

As for clouding, my sample had next to nothing! It was one of the best monitors I ever had on that department. No clouding, no backlight bleed, a pretty black screen without obvious flaws on any corner! This is typical from these new AUO panels (both 24,5 and 27 samples, both 60hz/75hz, 144hz/165hz and 240hz). They have a great contrast for TN, great colours for TN.

I didn´t have the chance to get another VG258QR because they are getting more and more expensive here in Europe. 310€-320€ for a 165hz panel with 240hz models costing almost the same price, is too overpriced! When I get a good price I will pull the trigger on another sample.

Cheers
Thank you for the quick response. It is quite unfortunate to hear that it has severe pixel inversion, to me it does ruin the image quality. But I guess it is hard to find a high refresh rate TN monitor that doesn't have it.

In that way of thinking, I am also starting to look at lower refresh rates in hope that the quality would be higher (though I personally don't like IPS glow)

kse617

Post by kse617 » 11 Apr 2019, 04:35

After using the monitor for a couple of days I'll be returning it unfortunately. The pixel response and input lag are great and better than my older AW2518HF, but the gamma shift ruins it for me.

I went back to TN panels 2 years ago after seeing how "good" viewing angles had gotten with the S2417DG and the AW2518HF but this panel looks like older tech to me in this regard. To put an example, I'm viewing the monitor from a normal position (80cm) with the eye-monitor plane perpendicular to the panel itself and the eyes at the same level as top bezel. The checkerboard pattern at the sides of this forum look almost nonexistent at the top and is clearly visible at the bottom.

I'm aware this is a TN limitation but I thought that being a newer panel this issue would be solved, especially since it's a newer panel vs. the S2417DG and the AW2518HF.

Or maybe I'm just not able to set the contrast and brightness properly. That could be too.

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 11 Apr 2019, 09:21

kse617 wrote:The checkerboard pattern at the sides of this forum look almost nonexistent at the top and is clearly visible at the bottom.
Don't know what you mean by this.
Honestly, I have no issues and I did not touch anything.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php

Since you tried the monitor, I would like to know if you had FreeSync ON and if you saw any inverse ghosting in desktop or games, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJbUUTq55vg

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 11 Apr 2019, 11:51

Zoart wrote:Pixel inversion are basically vertical lines like in the video I linked. They're usually visible when you have low to lower FPS on 144 Hz TN panels.
I think those are dynamic interlace patterns, meaning they will be visible with motion.

Didn't notice a thing in testufo, movies, Quake Champions and Apex Legends.

https://testufo.com/inversion