About Asus VG258QR input lag

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
crea1986

Re: About Asus VG258QR input lag

Post by crea1986 » 29 Mar 2019, 19:04

Hello everyone,i bought the VG258QR and i'm facing an issue,if i turn on the ELMB everytime i reboot my pc the ELMB will auto deactivate by itself,are you guys experiencing the same issue?
This is quite annoying since there isn't a fast shortcut in the menu to turn it back on.

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 29 Mar 2019, 20:00

I'm guessing the setting doesn't stick because it's programmed that way. Not ideal but not a problem.
See if it gets saved into MyFavorite Setting1, wich is the fastest way to turn it on: joystick, up, right 3x.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 29 Mar 2019, 20:04

You can use ASUS DisplayWidget to control OSD settings with the mouse on your windows, I guess that would be the easiest way.

However, I can´t see who would want ELMB activated while on Windows, because the flicker is not healthy for your eyes! Imo they did a good job by disabling it on each restart.

It seems it can be related to genetics, as I can´t use something with flicker for 20 minutes, my eyes start to burn and I get bad headaches/dizzyness. My mom had to use a flicker screen for 2 days after her laptop stopped working, and she complained about the exact same thing. As soon as she got a new laptop with a flicker free screen, her eye strain is gone!

crea1986

Post by crea1986 » 30 Mar 2019, 08:04

Thank you for the help guys.I'm not very sensible to strobing so that's why i prefer to disable it incase i don't wanna use it,also even saving the settings to My favorite settings 1 doesn't work.I will try with the Asus widget.

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 31 Mar 2019, 07:20

Nice. ;)
Last edited by karavanasam on 31 Mar 2019, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 31 Mar 2019, 16:22

Got a Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1060 6GB.
I can happily say that this monitor is amazing.

The overshoot i was seeing with an old card trough hdmi is gone. The only thing i can notice now (being close to the monitor and paying attention to it in desktop) is the mouse cursor getting a thin black border of overshoot and web scrolling is not perfectly smooth but i can live with it. Honestly, you would have to be really picky to discard this monitor just for this. This isn't even noticeable in games. It's fine with TraceFree 100 (2,3ms input lag) with and without FreeSync.

VividPixel at 0 is ok, 25 looks worse, 50 looks sharper. I use 0.

ELMB works at 165hz and it's super bright! Just set brightness to maximum if you need more and disable the blue light filter or else it will look darker. From Prad's review they measured 523 cd / m² and this is alot more than the 400 in the specs.

FreeSync works fine. I tried 164 fps at 165hz and it seemed to work without deactivating itself. Would need to test more this 1 fps below hz.

So Notty, i don't know if you had an issue with your settings, graphics card or monitor, but not even close to your experience of huge overshoot. This monitor works perfectly fine.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 01 Apr 2019, 01:31

To me the fact you notice web scrolling having problems tells me enough :p

Because you will notice it in games sooner or later, it will depend on the games colours and how bright they are. For example on Apex I would notice a terrible effect on a rope/zipline deployed by pathfinder. On Black Ops 4 the image even got distorted just by walking with over sharpness and over blurryness the next second (clear sign of overshoot).

Can you guys take a picture on the ufo ghosting test?

I will try to get another sample of this monitor anyway, with lower price, and report back if It is any different.

kse617

Post by kse617 » 01 Apr 2019, 02:25

Been a long-time lurker on these forums since my first experience overclocking my U2414H to 79Hz and then getting a disastrous but buttery-smooth FG2421.

I'm getting a VG258QR delivered today and will post my thoughts on input lag, overshoot, etc. I'm coming from an Alienware AW2518HF but I've been put off by the 240Hz experience just as Notty_PT explained is his lengthy post.

I've been on the fence between the Asus and he XG240R but the latter looked aesthetically more pleasing and the extra 0.5" helps my aging vision xD

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 01 Apr 2019, 06:11

MatrixQW wrote:Got a Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1060 6GB.
I can happily say that this monitor is amazing.

The overshoot i was seeing with an old card trough hdmi is gone. The only thing i can notice now (being close to the monitor and paying attention to it in desktop) is the mouse cursor getting a thin black border of overshoot and web scrolling is not perfectly smooth but i can live with it. Honestly, you would have to be really picky to discard this monitor just for this. This isn't even noticeable in games. It's fine with TraceFree 100 (2,3ms input lag) with and without FreeSync.

VividPixel at 0 is ok, 25 looks worse, 50 looks sharper. I use 0.

ELMB works at 165hz and it's super bright! Just set brightness to maximum if you need more and disable the blue light filter or else it will look darker. From Prad's review they measured 523 cd / m² and this is alot more than the 400 in the specs.

FreeSync works fine. I tried 164 fps at 165hz and it seemed to work without deactivating itself. Would need to test more this 1 fps below hz.

So Notty, i don't know if you had an issue with your settings, graphics card or monitor, but not even close to your experience of huge overshoot. This monitor works perfectly fine.
I am happy you like your monitor friend.I also enjoy my vg258qr.This monitor should be used by displayport and you finally started using it.Hdmi only shows half of what this monitor can do. :D Enjoy the speed in your games.I finished Sekiro:Shadows Die Twice with the help of 165hz.Wow it was a hard game really. :)

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 01 Apr 2019, 07:06

Notty_PT wrote:To me the fact you notice web scrolling having problems tells me enough :p

Because you will notice it in games sooner or later, it will depend on the games colours and how bright they are. For example on Apex I would notice a terrible effect on a rope/zipline deployed by pathfinder. On Black Ops 4 the image even got distorted just by walking with over sharpness and over blurryness the next second (clear sign of overshoot).

Can you guys take a picture on the ufo ghosting test?

I will try to get another sample of this monitor anyway, with lower price, and report back if It is any different.
I have Apex installed and can install Back Ops 4 for you to see how it looks here if you want. Just tell me where to position to make photos/videos.

All apps i install on my phone don't allow less than 1s of exposure. Can you tell me an app for this ?

Without a camera and just looking with TraceFree 100 at 1080 pixels per sec (ufo speed), i notice a blue corona in the first (dark) background but that overshoot i don't see it while playing and with my old card it was actually intense at times with the same game. This tells me that the graphics card plays a roll.

The most clear to me is how mouse cursor doesn't have that blueish light trail in desktop anymore and was replaced by a dark thin border. Sure the cursor isn't smooth like when you're not moving it but to me poses no problem. And yes, web scrolling is a bit blurry, not clear like stationary text. But honestly i don't notice these things in games. If i can do some photos/videos you will know exactly what i see.
See if there are some videos in youtube, maybe they will show you how it looks.

I uninstalled all video drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller, blocked Windows from updating driver, installed 419.67 but only the driver. Did not install 3D Vision, Physx, GeForce Experience or anything else.