About Asus VG258QR input lag

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
karavanasam

Re: About Asus VG258QR input lag

Post by karavanasam » 18 Mar 2019, 03:20

Yes you are right.Maybe I was lucky I got a good monitor or I am not too sensitive when it is about overdrive.Bah lets forget it and enjoy playing our games.Life is short.No need to waste time arguing.:)
I didnt register this forum to argue with other users.I just shared my experience about this monitor.If you dont like something,then it is your right not to use it.:)

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 18 Mar 2019, 13:14

Ah I want to ask something.Did you set maximum prerendered frames to 1?I noticed now when I set it to 1 I see more color ghosting.It was 3 before.Weird. :)

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 18 Mar 2019, 15:35

I set it to 1 on Quake Champions and Apex Legends usually, because it gives noticeable improved input lag. I don´t use it on Battlefield or Black Ops 4. Didn´t find any overdrive differences.

I might try another Asus VG258QR sample to see if I get better overdrive, wich I doubt, but would like more users on this topic to give their impressions about the monitor, to see if I really got a bad sample.

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 18 Mar 2019, 16:10

Well I just noticed one fault of this monitor.It somehow changes black level to low without asking you.And there is no monitor setting to change it back.You just have to switch to different mode and return to same mode to fix it.This is why I used and thought RGB Limited is the best setting for this monitor.
NO.I returned back to RGB Full.I will continue using this monitor and enjoy its sharp image and great gaming performance BUT I will stop recommending this monitor to anyone from now on.My bad. :D

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 18 Mar 2019, 19:20

Sadly Asus monitors lack the HDMI black level option, wich can suddenly make your image amazing with an amazing contrast. I have no idea why they do this, but brands like LG, Samsung or HP usually have that option. I think it is vital, specially for console usage.

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 19 Mar 2019, 05:51

Notty_PT wrote:I might try another Asus VG258QR sample to see if I get better overdrive, wich I doubt, but would like more users on this topic to give their impressions about the monitor, to see if I really got a bad sample.
Don't try another sample. You will experience the same, i'm pretty sure because you are used to 0 overshoot.
This monitor as very slight (barely visible) overshoot with TraceFree 60 and alot more with 100. I can see this in the UFO test and in desktop moving the mouse cursor over a gray or cyan/blueish background color i get a trail of light.

In games i really don't notice this much. I've been playing with TraceFree 100 and i can see it randomly but not continuously, so i can actually accept it showing up a few times just to have more performance. It does look smooth as hell. With TraceFree 60 i honestly hardly notice overshoot. It's there, just hard to see it.

I'm still at 120hz hdmi but i don't think 165hz DP will make the overdrive respond differently.
I'm going to record with a camera how games look in my monitor so that you can see what i see.

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 19 Mar 2019, 06:09

MatrixQW wrote:
Notty_PT wrote:I might try another Asus VG258QR sample to see if I get better overdrive, wich I doubt, but would like more users on this topic to give their impressions about the monitor, to see if I really got a bad sample.
Don't try another sample. You will experience the same, i'm pretty sure because you are used to 0 overshoot.
This monitor as very slight (barely visible) overshoot with TraceFree 60 and alot more with 100. I can see this in the UFO test and in desktop moving the mouse cursor over a gray or cyan/blueish background color i get a trail of light.

In games i really don't notice this much. I've been playing with TraceFree 100 and i can see it randomly but not continuously, so i can actually accept it showing up sometimes just to have more performance. It does look smooth as hell. With TraceFree 60 i honestly hardly notice overshoot. It's there, just hard to see it.

I'm still at 120hz hdmi but i don't think 165hz DP will make the overdrive respond differently.
I'm going to record with a camera how games look in my monitor so that you can see what i see.
Using that monitor at 120hz hdmi is the worst thing you can do to that monitor.Either give it to a friend of yours who can use it better or throw it to trash. :lol: Man.These people. :lol:

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 19 Mar 2019, 06:21

My graphics card doesn't have DP. I'm going to get one.
That's why i said "I'm still at 120hz hdmi".

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 19 Mar 2019, 06:45

I was joking.Of course you should. ;) DP is the best way to use those monitors.If you use HDMI,GPU thinks you have a tv instead of a monitor.St.p.d things really. :evil:

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 19 Mar 2019, 12:00

I found why I see less color ghosting.My contrast was 80.I lowered it to 70 and yes they are here. :)