About Asus VG258QR input lag

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Notty_PT

Re: About Asus VG258QR input lag

Post by Notty_PT » 13 Jun 2019, 10:50

I have no idea, I had terrible overshoot artifacts with both Gsync ON and OFF. Can be GPU too, a lot of variables. But a lot of people had same problem as me so can be a monitor problem too. In fact the previous now discountinued version VG258Q, had problems too. It has huge input lag problems when connected to a nVidia GPU as shown by Battle(non)sense on youtube, but worked fine with AMD GPUs. It´s kind of a "problematic" model since the beggining, and a bit of hit and miss I guess!

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 13 Jun 2019, 19:39

I read the whole thread to collect all testimonials to make sense out of this. It all leads to what I said: FreeSync.
Erdo4 wrote:Little bit of ghosting with 80 and 100. (80 acceptable, 100 not for me) Perfect image at 60 Trace @165hz
He is the thread owner.
TF 80/100 works for me. In ufo ghosting test there is a slight purple corona but not in games.
Snok wrote:The trailing/ghosting is WAY less noticeable when I have FreeSync enabled. As a matter of fact, It doesn't seem to change at all if I use Trace Free 0 or 100. Without FreeSync even setting it to 60 was to distracting for me
Last sentence matches what you experienced.
Notty wrote:TF 80 - overshoot on every colour, eyes hurt just by dragging windows
This is relevant because when I drag a window even with TF 100 there is absolutely no inverse ghosting on the window itself, only the text is blurry.
If I disable FreeSync, the window will get a bright light of inverse ghosting like the mouse cursor.
Quertyuiop wrote:How do you cope with tracefree:100 ? When i set 80 the blue/purple overshoot it introduced was worse (more visible cause of intense color) than the ghosting it reduced, i can't imagine 100 being acceptable.
He didn't mention if FreeSync was enabled.
I experience this in game with FreeSync disabled. TraceFree 100 is unacceptable.
pox02 wrote:"found out its not working on gsync and above trace free 40 its cause ghosting/overshoot/trailing"
"i ask twitch streamer that have this monitor https://www.twitch.tv/soulmercs he told me gsync not work on this monitor and default could be 60 but its cause ghosting so he reduce it to 40"
He mentions on both sentences that gsync doesn't work and above TF 40 it causes overshoot. This happens precisely because FreeSync wasn't applied.

You should also take into account that Prad reviewed this monitor and they said that FreeSync resolved many of the image issues. Since you trust Prad, this should be enough to convince you.
These are google translations:

"We recommend to operate the VG258QR at 165 Hz and "Trace Free" 60, since excellent switching times are already achieved with these settings and the image is displayed without any blemish and an almost ideal brightness progression."

"60 Hz without FreeSync:
Trace Free should be left here in the default settings to 60. An increase of the value conjures as a receipt violent corona to the object edges."
60 or 165 I don't think it matters, what is relevant is that this fits with the testimonials and what I said.

"FreeSync:
aberrations at maximum trace free of 100% and disabled FreeSync express much more than when FreeSync is activated."

"Violent image errors in "Trace Free" 100 and disabled FreeSync"
Left image.

"Barely recognizable image errors with "Trace Free" 100 and active FreeSync"
Right image.

"In the left image you can see the strong contrast jumps and the corona very nicely, which are almost absent on the right image when FreeSync is activated. Of course, even with FreeSync enabled and the highest overdrive level enabled, the image is not always bug-free, but quite an option for players who value performance more than a completely impeccable image."

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 14 Jun 2019, 00:32

Notty_PT wrote:I have no idea, I had terrible overshoot artifacts with both Gsync ON and OFF.
Pretty clear you had an issue with this then. The difference with G-Sync Compatible is night and day.
FreeSync is enabled by default and when Nvidia driver is installed, G-Sync Compatible in NVCP will activate and there should be no image issues. There is also an option below called "Enable settings for the selected display model" that should be enabled by default also.
But if FreeSync is disabled in monitor, when I enable it the screen will still have issues until I power the monitor off and on.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 14 Jun 2019, 01:25

Plus I might add, as with most Asus models, once FreeSync/Gsync is activated, the input lad advantage is gone, because input fast technology doesnt work with VRR ON. If you check Rtings reviews on Asus monitors, all of them had higher input lag with VRR enabled. Thats why I dont use it on my xg258q aswell. So using VRR to fix ghosting issues would never be a solution to me.

Either way I tried it both On and Off on the VG25 without any different results, apart from the fact that now I had a slower monitor than ViewSonic XG2402, despite being 165hz vs 144hz. VG258QR is a really fast monitor by default and thats one of its advantages. Losing that advantage it's a no go to me.

I am also 100% SURE gsync was working properly because I had the refresh rate counter enabled + gsync indicator + quake champions wich is so stuttery without VRR that I would immediatly notice if it was not working

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 14 Jun 2019, 04:13

Notty_PT wrote:Plus I might add, as with most Asus models, once FreeSync/Gsync is activated, the input lad advantage is gone, because input fast technology doesnt work with VRR ON. If you check Rtings reviews on Asus monitors, all of them had higher input lag with VRR enabled.
We already discussed this:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5159&hilit=rtings&start=10#p39780

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tests/inputs/input-lag
The first 20 monitors pratically all have VRR differences with a small increase that could be to fps drops during their tests leading to an increase in input lag or margin errors. I don't think it's Asus specific. Would be nice if Rtings tested more Asus models.
And before you take it personal ;) , I'm not trying to disprove you, not at all, just being objective. This is a healthy discussion.

Asus doesn't mention how GameFast Input works and they don't say it doesn't with VRR, so I couldn't say. It's possible, who knows. Maybe Chief can talk to Asus and unveil the secret. :D
But according to the numbers, doesn't seem like it.
Notty_PT wrote:Thats why I dont use it on my xg258q aswell. So using VRR to fix ghosting issues would never be a solution to me.
I already mentioned this but there are two ways around it:

1. Create an Nvidia profile and set Monitor Technology to fixed refresh.

2. Once Windows boots to desktop, disable FreeSync on monitor. The overshoot doesn't come back unless I power the monitor off and on.
Last edited by MatrixQW on 14 Jun 2019, 05:38, edited 1 time in total.

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 14 Jun 2019, 05:26

No need to write more messages to this topic.Because Notty already decided LG model is the best one for him.His followers also bought LG.They arent interested with this model.So lets move on. :D

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 14 Jun 2019, 05:31

Haha.
I'm not trying to convince him or anyone to buy this one, just to clarify where the issue was/is.
Trust me, if the LG had height adjustment I would have sold mine, bought LG and still recover 100€.

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 14 Jun 2019, 06:21

I always wanted height adjustment and some setting like vividpixel for years.I finally found both of them.I think I am in love with my monitor.No one can touch it except me. :) And this very low input lag.It feels like my right hand and this monitor both are in perfect harmony. :D

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 14 Jun 2019, 07:06

Notice how the LG models or Samsung or MSI do not usually increase input lag when VRR is activated. On the Asus monitors I immediatly notice it increasing, I said this several times on these forums. No point for me on having an Asus monitor, wich usually always has worse overdrive than competitors (something that I mentioned a lot already here too); and then end up with the same or higher input lag than those competitors. Asus input fast technology works and that´s a huge factor for me to use their monitors. Asus XG258Q, for example, I am using it because it´s input lag is crazy low and I beat my personal records with it. As soon as I activate VRR the connected feel is gone, and now it isn´t any faster than the Alienware AW2518HF, for example.

Plus, I don´t want to have a monitor where I need to constantly be "fighting" with the menus to enable/disable VRR until it sticks to a decent overdrive etc. Mind you, when I test a monitor I try basically everything, even stuff that I usually do not mention, like setting up the colour sliers (yes this affects overdrive on a lot of models too), with 20 Green, 40 Red, 40 blue, for example, certain combinations of Image mode + Saturarion etc etc etc. So trust me I tried everything you can possible imagine with the Asus VG258QR. The only thing I didn´t try was switching GPU to AMD because I only had a nVidia one. You can see from many reddit comments and youtube comments that this model is hit and miss. Works wonders for some, works really bad for others. And this model is supossely a fix to an already flawed model, look at this:

Notice how the input lag results are completly out of control once you use a nvidia GPU. There is no consistency at all. So I guess this model overall is bad news. Maybe it works perfect with AMD only? I have no idea. It was flawed since its first iteration, VG258Q was even discountinued

Also, quoting myself when I got this monitor, I didn´t even enter honeymoon phase with this model, it was an instant disapointment!
damn overdrive. This monitor is only usable at Trace Free 40 and at that point it is almost as fast as an IPS panel. You can immediatly notice how blurry it is by scrolling on websites, specially on bright colours (white, grey). At Trace Free 60 it gets better, but the added overshoot is too bad to me, and immediatly noticeable. Easily noticeable on the UFO test. Trace Free 80 and 100 are a complete no go, of course. So the options are using Trace Free 40 and dealing with blur, or using 60 and dealing with obvious overshoot.
I noticeed it on both websites and games! Even on sports games is easily noticeable. On Pro Evolution Soccer, for example, there is a clear trail behind the players while running. An overshoot trailing at TraceFree 60 and a ghosting/blur trailing at TraceFree 40.

On Quake Champions the overshoot was not obvious, because it is a dark game and the monitor behaves correctly on very dark colours!

On Apex, Battlefield, it was shockingly bad. I tried 60hz, 144hz and 165hz. Didn´t try 120hz like you did, so i can´t comment on that

SirKokonut

Post by SirKokonut » 06 Jul 2019, 04:47

So, i just picked this monitor up today, and have registered just now to add in that out of the box, turning on gsync, applying 165hz to the monitor, restarting the PC, not one single issue or complaint.

I am coming from an old BenQ G2411HD monitor that is 9 years old.

All i have changed, is from racing mode to scenery, and loving the colour and brightness from the monitor.

if there any problems with this monitor, maybe im not picky enough, or simply it is just an excellent upgrade from where ive come from and it doesnt bother me in the slightest due to me not been 'hyper sensitive to lag'.