About Asus VG258QR input lag

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
karavanasam

Re: About Asus VG258QR input lag

Post by karavanasam » 06 Jul 2019, 07:44

SirKokonut wrote:So, i just picked this monitor up today, and have registered just now to add in that out of the box, turning on gsync, applying 165hz to the monitor, restarting the PC, not one single issue or complaint.

I am coming from an old BenQ G2411HD monitor that is 9 years old.

All i have changed, is from racing mode to scenery, and loving the colour and brightness from the monitor.

if there any problems with this monitor, maybe im not picky enough, or simply it is just an excellent upgrade from where ive come from and it doesnt bother me in the slightest due to me not been 'hyper sensitive to lag'.
It is a very fast monitor with very low input lag.If you are a multiplayer gamer,you will see the benefits soon from the scores. :D
But some users didnt like it.Maybe it is because of panel lottery.Some bought good panels,some bought bad ones without knowing.I like mine a lot.I change settings from racing mode to fps mode and it is great so far in everything.And also vividpixel:50.I love this setting. :)

SirKokonut

Post by SirKokonut » 06 Jul 2019, 18:22

karavanasam wrote: It is a very fast monitor with very low input lag.If you are a multiplayer gamer,you will see the benefits soon from the scores. :D
But some users didnt like it.Maybe it is because of panel lottery.Some bought good panels,some bought bad ones without knowing.I like mine a lot.I change settings from racing mode to fps mode and it is great so far in everything.And also vividpixel:50.I love this setting. :)
Very much so.

I have set my VividPixel to 50 also. I don't notice much difference at all in pixel response time.

If people did want perfect response time, then why cheap out on a monitor that only cost $370 AUD??? If you have that much of a high expectation, then spend the money where you think the quality will be.

Mine has no back light bleeding anywhere around the edges, no clouding, blacks are brilliant. Just such a nice clean monitor, and when i can achieve in some games higher than 100fps, it really does help. And so far i havent noticed any stutters are tears due to been lower than the 165.

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 07 Jul 2019, 07:20

Yes you are right about the price.:)
Well vividpixel only increases sharpness of images.My eyes like sharp images and no other monitor gave me that setting so far.So I love that setting.It doesnt effect pixel response time.For that one you can change Tracefree setting.Default is 60.Mine is 100.And if you want less input lag,racing mode also can give that.But racing mode doesnt have good brightness like other settings so you can continue using scenery mode.I use monitor's fps mode and also rgb limited from nvidia color settings.
:)

vursus

Post by vursus » 04 Sep 2019, 16:08

hey Notty_PT @Notty_PT what settings do you use on your XG2402 when you game on console? I just returned my vg258q (because of the awful pixel inversion at 60hz) and picked up an XG2402 to your recommendation :)

I mainly game on a PS4 Pro and play competitive call of duty so input lag and motion clarity is priority #1. Any settings that you notice increase/decrease input lag when playing on 60hz? also what gamma setting/black stabilization would you recommend so that blacks arent crushed?

Thank you!!!

Pofxx_PT

Post by Pofxx_PT » 10 Sep 2019, 15:47

Notty_PT wrote:I have no idea, I had terrible overshoot artifacts with both Gsync ON and OFF. Can be GPU too, a lot of variables. But a lot of people had same problem as me so can be a monitor problem too. In fact the previous now discountinued version VG258Q, had problems too. It has huge input lag problems when connected to a nVidia GPU as shown by Battle(non)sense on youtube, but worked fine with AMD GPUs. It´s kind of a "problematic" model since the beggining, and a bit of hit and miss I guess!
Hello, where to buy your monitor in Portugal? The pcdiga has the sale for 259 € and was recently entered on the site, may be a new version? Or is it a returns version?

leonman44

Post by leonman44 » 13 Sep 2019, 10:54

This is the Fastest monitor i havbe ever used!

Also i got a perfect panel just from the 1st try: 0 blb , 0 clouding , gamma on spot , colors right configurated , like things i never saw on any gsync panel , i was constantly getting junk panels even as high as 1000euros. Excellent built quality!

As for the overshoot theres something really strange about it , at first i was using the monitor with intel hd graphics as i was expecting my new card rtx 2080 but delivery was delayed.

I had noticeable overshoot as others kept saying , at trace free 60 there was a noticeable amount of overshoot , at 40 it was almost perfect and at 100 it was unusable.

BUT everything changed when i installed my rtx 2080 , i get 100% no overshoot at 60 trace free and i can go as high as 100 with only a very minor amount of overshoot , even with freesync turned off!

I dont know how this is even possible but i retested it and it definitely is!

At trace 100 its the fastest display i ever used and for the price i am 100% satisfied , something that i never said before.

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 14 Sep 2019, 14:11

leonman44 wrote:This is the Fastest monitor i havbe ever used!

Also i got a perfect panel just from the 1st try: 0 blb , 0 clouding , gamma on spot , colors right configurated , like things i never saw on any gsync panel , i was constantly getting junk panels even as high as 1000euros. Excellent built quality!

As for the overshoot theres something really strange about it , at first i was using the monitor with intel hd graphics as i was expecting my new card rtx 2080 but delivery was delayed.

I had noticeable overshoot as others kept saying , at trace free 60 there was a noticeable amount of overshoot , at 40 it was almost perfect and at 100 it was unusable.

BUT everything changed when i installed my rtx 2080 , i get 100% no overshoot at 60 trace free and i can go as high as 100 with only a very minor amount of overshoot , even with freesync turned off!

I dont know how this is even possible but i retested it and it definitely is!

At trace 100 its the fastest display i ever used and for the price i am 100% satisfied , something that i never said before.
Hey man I also love my VG258QR.I am happy you like it too.I also use it tf:100.Also I use vividpixel.Incredible sharp and fast monitor.I first used fps mode then decided to use racing mode.It decreases input lag more than other modes.Also response time is also better in racing mode compared to other modes.Enjoy your monitor. :)

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 14 Sep 2019, 17:27

leonman44 wrote:BUT everything changed when i installed my rtx 2080 , i get 100% no overshoot at 60 trace free and i can go as high as 100 with only a very minor amount of overshoot , even with freesync turned off!
Looks like you got lucky as well. It's strange that some had issues with the monitor even with FreeSync. Maybe it was their video card or drivers.

For me it works if FreeSync is loaded before I disable it in the monitor or if I create an Nvidia profile with "fixed refresh" for a specific game.

Disable it in NVCP and monitor, turn off computer and monitor then power them on again and see if the overshoot is still ok without FreeSync loading at all.

And try these settings (or just change contrast):
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5018&p=41423#p41423
Last edited by MatrixQW on 14 Sep 2019, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 14 Sep 2019, 17:31

BTW Karavanasam, I strongly recommend that you get at least a GTX 1060 to take full advantage of the monitor. You will notice the difference in overshoot with FreeSync.
In Fortnite the image is perfect.

leonman44

Post by leonman44 » 15 Sep 2019, 06:34

karavanasam wrote:
Hey man I also love my VG258QR.I am happy you like it too.I also use it tf:100.Also I use vividpixel.Incredible sharp and fast monitor.I first used fps mode then decided to use racing mode.It decreases input lag more than other modes.Also response time is also better in racing mode compared to other modes.Enjoy your monitor. :)
Did someone test the input lag in every mode? To be honest i dont really notice any input lag difference between the 3 modes i use (racing,rts/rpg and fps). I do feel a very noticeable input lag cut by going from trace free 60 to 100 though.

As for Vividpixel it certainly does add input lag from the moment that the image needs further processing from the original + i find personally the image a little too gimmickly oversharpened. I would just stay away from it.
MatrixQW wrote: Looks like you got lucky as well. It's strange that some had issues with the monitor even with FreeSync. Maybe it was their video card or drivers.

For me it works if FreeSync is loaded before I disable it in the monitor or if I create an Nvidia profile with "fixed refresh" for a specific game.

Disable it in NVCP and monitor, turn off computer and monitor then power them on again and see if the overshoot is still ok without FreeSync loading at all.

And try these settings (or just change contrast):
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5018&p=41423#p41423
Just tested everything as you said and it definitely introduced overshoot at trace free 60 BUT a lot of overshoot was introduced by decreasing the contrast from 80 to 40 , i have seen that before, back in the AW2518H launch days! By increasing the contrast to 80 (default was 50) and decreasing the brightness would allow you to actually use extreme overdrive with almost no overshoot. It wasnt perfect at all as the contrast increase from 50 to 80 would wash out things but thats NOT an issue with this display as its set for contrast 80 , i would strongly advise you to just leave it there and play with RGB values if something feels off with the color temp.

As an example mine is reddish but luckily i have a colormunky , so i calibrated only the RGB values perfectly at 6500k in 2 modes and i am using the normal mode for FPS as i like it cooler.

I just leave freesync on and in fast shooters like csgo i choose low latency mode on ultra (made huge difference for me) and then fixed refresh rate. This way i can go as high as trace free 100 with nothing noticeable if you just play the game. :D

What i do not actually know is if i get the input lag add just as if i were using the gsync compatible mode from the moment i have the freesync activated in the monitors settings. :?:

Feels dead responsive , like nothing i used before (i owned the pg248q and the pg258q , tested the aw2518h and an lg 24gm77) and i am telling you nothing compared to this display and its actually way cheaper than the gsync ones that most of them had flickering issues and clouding all over the place.

* It seems that i need gsync compatible on and vsync off for this display to perform at best , if i choose fixed refresh rate then all the overshoot issues comes back.