About Asus VG258QR input lag

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
karavanasam

Re: About Asus VG258QR input lag

Post by karavanasam » 04 Apr 2019, 11:27

It is safe.I already did it before you.Just double click that resolution.Only change it to lcd reduced.DONT change refresh rate.And you will be ok.Somehow it gives different performance.Better or worse.Cant really decide.:D

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 04 Apr 2019, 13:00

MatrixQW wrote:I think i need to edit the extension block CEA-861 1920x1080 164.917 Hz.
Safe to do it ?
Is completly safe, you can just reset afterwards and it goes back to what it was. LCD Reduced reduces pixel clock and that can help with overshoot. I suspect when you activate FreeSync and then disable it, does exactly that, reduces pixel clock, and that´s why you notice the overdrive better; that´s why I asked you to try it!

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 04 Apr 2019, 20:34

LCD Reduced doesn't fix the overshoot. Don't even think it improved anything or if it did wasn't much.

The overshoot is fixed only with the G-Sync compatibility enabled in NVCP and FreeSync enabled or changed* in the monitor. After this I can disable FreeSync.

*If I disable FreeSync in NVCP only, turn monitor off and on, the overshoot is back, but disabling FreeSync in the monitor (it is on) next fixes it again. Seems it just needs a change in the monitor.
If I disable FreeSync in the monitor only, turn monitor off and on, overshoot is back, all I need next is to enable it again in the monitor (NVCP is on).

This took me some time to understand because I was rebooting Windows but the monitor was not turning off and I was getting confused with the results.

The inverse ghosting I see is a trail of light. Did you see this when you tried the monitor?
With FreeSync what I see is a thin black border around the cursor, 60 or 100 is exactly the same. And in games I don't notice it in textures.

Another thing I noticed is that the monitor's presets have a different result even if configured the same.
I will need to experiment. It's going to take me a while to get the best settings.
Last edited by MatrixQW on 05 Apr 2019, 06:40, edited 1 time in total.

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 05 Apr 2019, 02:50

You will find the best settings for all of us my friend.We trust you.Just experiment more. :lol:

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 07 Apr 2019, 04:00

It looks like I finally :lol: found the best setting for this monitor after a month I guess.Asus is not telling you but Racing Mode is the "best" mode for this monitor because it the "only" mode which gives you its world record speed and lowest input lag.Fps mode is a bs.It is just another mode with different settings.It is not for fps games.Racing mode is for fps and other type of games.If you want to find the best settings for this monitor,first select "Racing Mode" then you can try different brightness,contrast,color settings etc.No need to expect miracles from CRU because I also tried a lot of different settings there.:D
It is disappointing maybe because you have to select specific mode (racing mode) for this monitor to shine but the performance from it is very good so I forgive them.I also love vivid pixel a lot. :D My tf is also still 100.I Also turned adaptive sync off from monitor settings again. :lol:

Zoart

Post by Zoart » 07 Apr 2019, 13:11

karavanasam wrote:It looks like I finally :lol: found the best setting for this monitor after a month I guess.Asus is not telling you but Racing Mode is the "best" mode for this monitor because it the "only" mode which gives you its world record speed and lowest input lag.Fps mode is a bs.It is just another mode with different settings.It is not for fps games.Racing mode is for fps and other type of games.If you want to find the best settings for this monitor,first select "Racing Mode" then you can try different brightness,contrast,color settings etc.No need to expect miracles from CRU because I also tried a lot of different settings there.:D
It is disappointing maybe because you have to select specific mode (racing mode) for this monitor to shine but the performance from it is very good so I forgive them.I also love vivid pixel a lot. :D My tf is also still 100.I Also turned adaptive sync off from monitor settings again. :lol:
I am kind of interested in this monitor.

But does this monitor have pixel inversion in games especially on somewhat brighter colors?
Also how is the text on it, as in how sharp? I read that it is a tad blurry and vivid pixels introduces input lag

This video kind of shows pixel inversion, though not sure if it's moire: https://youtu.be/pqVYNbQgL68?t=226

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 07 Apr 2019, 15:44

Zoart wrote:
karavanasam wrote:It looks like I finally :lol: found the best setting for this monitor after a month I guess.Asus is not telling you but Racing Mode is the "best" mode for this monitor because it the "only" mode which gives you its world record speed and lowest input lag.Fps mode is a bs.It is just another mode with different settings.It is not for fps games.Racing mode is for fps and other type of games.If you want to find the best settings for this monitor,first select "Racing Mode" then you can try different brightness,contrast,color settings etc.No need to expect miracles from CRU because I also tried a lot of different settings there.:D

But does this monitor have pixel inversion in games especially on somewhat brighter colors?
Also how is the text on it, as in how sharp? I read that it is a tad blurry and vivid pixels introduces input lag

This video kind of shows pixel inversion, though not sure if it's moire: https://youtu.be/pqVYNbQgL68?t=226
Hi friend.Yes it has some color ghosting if you use tracefree:100 like me.But it gives very good gaming performance if you also select color format Ycbcr 4:4:4 something from GPU and Racing Mode from monitor.I really dont know what pixel inversion is but I didnt see any problem with pixels so far.Image is clean with some color ghosting but I dont see color ghosting much in games.Only if I look and check very carefully.You notice them mostly when you surf on bright webpages like this forum.I killed the last boss in Sekiro before typing this message.I read his movies perfectly and counter them.He was extremely strong.That b.st.rd.Ah I am so happy with my monitor,its performance and my recent settings.You also will never see any tearing.I dont cap fps or use vsync.It also has adaptive sync.I also dont use it. :) There is nothing wrong with text.I use vividpixel:50.For the lowest input lag you have to use Racing Mode.You will use this monitor with vsync off.Trust me,input lag will not be a problem for you even if you use vividpixel:100. ;)
Some users recommend Viewsonic xg2402 a lot.My opinion is this monitor is the best for me.I am happy I bought it and I hope I use it a lot.
It is your money.I hope you decide and buy the best monitor for you. ;)

Zoart

Post by Zoart » 08 Apr 2019, 03:09

karavanasam wrote:
Zoart wrote:

Hi friend.Yes it has some color ghosting if you use tracefree:100 like me.But it gives very good gaming performance if you also select color format Ycbcr 4:4:4 something from GPU and Racing Mode from monitor.I really dont know what pixel inversion is but I didnt see any problem with pixels so far.Image is clean with some color ghosting but I dont see color ghosting much in games.Only if I look and check very carefully.You notice them mostly when you surf on bright webpages like this forum.I killed the last boss in Sekiro before typing this message.I read his movies perfectly and counter them.He was extremely strong.That b.st.rd.Ah I am so happy with my monitor,its performance and my recent settings.You also will never see any tearing.I dont cap fps or use vsync.It also has adaptive sync.I also dont use it. :) There is nothing wrong with text.I use vividpixel:50.For the lowest input lag you have to use Racing Mode.You will use this monitor with vsync off.Trust me,input lag will not be a problem for you even if you use vividpixel:100. ;)
Some users recommend Viewsonic xg2402 a lot.My opinion is this monitor is the best for me.I am happy I bought it and I hope I use it a lot.
It is your money.I hope you decide and buy the best monitor for you. ;)
Thank you for the response. Pixel inversion are basically vertical lines like in the video I linked. They're usually visible when you have low to lower FPS on 144 Hz TN panels. I really hate it, it destroys the image in my eyes.

I have seen these artifacts a lot in higher refresh rate TN panels. So I was curious if this monitor had it

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 08 Apr 2019, 05:40

Oh.Then you should ask pixel inversion to Notty_PT aka professor of monitors.This is his profile memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3372
Good luck. ;)

Zoart

Post by Zoart » 08 Apr 2019, 05:46

karavanasam wrote:Oh.Then you should ask pixel inversion to Notty_PT aka professor of monitors.This is his profile memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3372
Good luck. ;)
Thanks, though I'm kind of limited to what I can currently do on the forum because I just registered. I can't send him a PM or get his attention here.