Poor image quality after bad reboot

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
rasmas

Re: Poor image quality after bad reboot

Post by rasmas » 18 May 2020, 15:34

I have no idea at all, but, if you can see both the "clear" icons and the "blurry" ones on your current monitor then is somehow a configuration problem, otherwise, if being a hardware problem it will output same result if the source (= the image) is the same, right? (like if you watch same picture with dirty glasses, you'll always see it bad).

Also, about the division icons, maybe they just made them worse with an update.

That's the most i can help, if you can see clean and blurry images on same monitor-PC then is not a hardware problem. What's the problem? no idea unfortunatelly but if you find out, share here as i'd like to know.

ZonePhoenix

Post by ZonePhoenix » 19 May 2020, 01:15

rasmas wrote:
18 May 2020, 15:34
I have no idea at all, but, if you can see both the "clear" icons and the "blurry" ones on your current monitor then is somehow a configuration problem, otherwise, if being a hardware problem it will output same result if the source (= the image) is the same, right? (like if you watch same picture with dirty glasses, you'll always see it bad).

Also, about the division icons, maybe they just made them worse with an update.

That's the most i can help, if you can see clean and blurry images on same monitor-PC then is not a hardware problem. What's the problem? no idea unfortunatelly but if you find out, share here as i'd like to know.
I don't know either, i believe its a difference in capacitor quality on the motherboard, the p8z77 being the best before i blew something on it when the PSU surged

Either way i have $500 for anyone that can help me solve it

rasmas

Post by rasmas » 19 May 2020, 11:15

Well, still no idea at all, but i'm curious:
- Have you tried setting The Division over 100% scaling (200% or 2x or whatever is named)?

Why do i ask this?: some time ago i saw some news of people with Battlefield V reporting worse image quality after an update that wanted to "improve" performance. To do that "improvement" seems they reduced the quality of the textures when set at 100%, and to get the "old" (100%) quality they had to put it now at 125%.

Again, no idea, but maybe you are facing a problem on Windows and a separate problem with The Division.

Also, i have a lot of old screenshots, but unfortunatelly all had "transparency" and you said they were no useful to compare (i have Windows 7, and 10, and also some of the XP, but without Steam task icon).

Anyway, although i know how hard it can be (i get easily obsessed with smaller changes :D ), i recommend to just try to get used to it and pretend is fine ;) .

Blurstroy

Post by Blurstroy » 19 May 2020, 13:41

Hallo ZonePhoenix,

So I have 2 pc's and the specs are as follows:
PC1
Software related
Windows: W10 Pro 1909
Scaling: DPI 115%
Hardware related
Monitor: LG UltraGear 24GL600F
CPU: AMD 2700x
MOBO:AMD MSI x470 gaming M7
GPU: AMD VEGA 56 (Driver Version 20.4.2)

The pc is hooked up from the HDMI port on the GPU to the monitor.
Result = Exactly the same as your picture of "current". (Based on the steam tray icon only)

When using GPU scaling at 100% DPI --> Integer scaling = I get very similar results as your 2016 version, however, when I use 115% DPI it seems to not work (probably due to how this technique works?). Or might have something to do with what RealNC said:
by RealNC » 31 Oct 2018, 15:00
Well, DPI scaling has changed since 2016. Or you did a tweak in your old rig that you forgot about.

PC2
Software related
Windows: W7 Pro (6.1.7601) SP1
Scaling: DPI 115%
Hardware related
Monitor: LG UltraGear 24GL600F
CPU: Intel I7 3770K
MOBO: Intel MSI Z77A-GD65
GPU: Integrated graphics Intel HD4000 (Driver Version 10.18.10.4653) NO software tweaks --> HDMI to monitor

The pc is hooked up from the IGP with HDMI on the motherboard to the monitor.
Result = Exactly the same as your picture of "2016". (Based on the steam tray icon only)

Conclusion:
It seems likely that it's related to the Intel driver or IGP (both?). I don't think it's related to the windows version, I might try confirming that later by putting an AMD gpu in "PC2". If you want to confirm this you might want to try to connect your monitor from the motherboard incase you are using intel with an IGP and a motherboard with a video output, I think there are also ways to use your GPU for actual processing power as can be read in the howtogeek link below:
https://www.howtogeek.com/351522/how-to ... indows-10/
For 1440P 144hz you would require a HDMI 2 or DP 1.2 output from the motherboard and probably a somewhat recent intel cpu, from what I read a 600 series IGP should work.

Getting a similar result might be possible on AMD and Nvidia, So the first thing I would try is enabling integer scaling, all 3 GPU vendors support this.
For amd you go to AMD radeon software --> Settings (Cogwheel) --> Display --> Enable GPU scaling --> Enable integer scaling.
For Nvidia Go to the NVIDIA Control Panel, in the “Adjust Desktop Size and Position” Display menu: Select Integer scaling (by GPU).
Changing the DPI from 100 to 115 might not work the same as with my "PC2" situation, for me on my "PC1" it looks pretty similar at 100% DPI and comparing a screenshot to yours and my "PC2" at the same zoom level.

Here is some info on it from intel:
https://software.intel.com/content/www/ ... phics.html
Based on how this technique works, I don't quite understand why I notice a difference on my "PC1" system after enabling it (I checked by making screenshots and comparing in paint after having the integer scaling disabled again).

Good luck.

PS: If you have a place where I can upload a PNG file I can show it.