Damage due to bad displayport cable?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
bread

Damage due to bad displayport cable?

Post by bread » 15 Mar 2019, 04:37

So I bought several displayport cables so I could pick and choose which one works best. Unfortunately I got a lemon that was problematic the moment I started it up. It caused the display and input to lag so much. Mouse movement takes like twenty seconds before moving and jumps inches at a time. Clicking on something and opening a window took minutes at a time. It was pretty much a sluggish slideshow. I couldn't shut down normally because I couldn't move the mouse properly and it was so slow so I did a hard shut off and got rid of the cable.

Thing is after using the bad cable I feel like my display performance is slightly off. That smoothness and input lag are a bit worse by around 3% to 4% from what it used to. Can a bad cable really cause something like this? Is there a way to fix it?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Damage due to bad displayport cable?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Mar 2019, 10:21

Hello!
Apologies for the delay.
(The "No 0 post threads in General" rule I personally try my damndest hardest to keep up with...)

A bad piece of computer hardware (even a cable) can cause internal events such as an infinite interrupts loop or exception handler loops that bog down the system to a sloooooooooooow crawl.

Now, for aftereffects, it's hard to say. Sometimes it's a symptom from trying to fix an earlier problem (e.g. attempted graphics driver reintalls, or other hardware changes at the same time).

Sherlock Holmes Mode = ON

Now, an elementary question in this detective run.... A common situation when somebody gains new DisplayPort cables, is someone added a new monitor. So....did you add a new monitor?

Discordant-Hz multimonitor can create mouse lag artifacts too
Did you do any other hardware changes, such as going multimonitor? Discordant-Hz multimonitor sometimes creates lag artifacts when a low-Hz monitor has screen activity, slowing down the adjacent high-Hz monitor. This manifests itself as sudden framerate changes. You see it all the time when running http://www.testufo.com simultaneously on two different-Hz monitors. My general recommendation is always try to make all the same high-Hz, or try to minimize all windows on the lowest-Hz monitors when you are doing critical high-Hz stuff. (Except for 100% non-graphics stuff like Windows Notepad, Calc. Unfortunately even a static webpage sometimes still causes problem, because web browsers are now GPU accelerated nowadays). Tools such as DisplayFusion can automate disabling/enabling of monitors. Also games running in FSE (Full Screen Exclusive) will bypass the discordant-Hz interference and will merrily run at the correct frame rate. Windowed mode is currently frequently prone to interference between monitors under Windows 10.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!