Wait for G-SYNC? Buy ASUS? Buy BENQ?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
TwentyFoe

Wait for G-SYNC? Buy ASUS? Buy BENQ?

Post by TwentyFoe » 01 Apr 2014, 16:04

First of all hello guys

I'm fairly new to this entire thing. Until a few days ago I was literally sure that "gaming monitors" and 120HZ+ monitors are nothing more than a stupid gimmick (don't shoot me). I was putting up PC components together at a site, for my upcoming new PC build, and I was intrigued to check nowadays monitor prices. I saw many people recommending the DELL monitors (IPS, AH-IPS panels etc), and as I was watching YouTube video reviews, I was awed by the quality of the picture and angles, because it is indeed important to me (back then in late 2008 I bought Samsung's 971P for its accurate colors due to its graphic panel (I used to have an ugly-ass monitor that would change colors upon shifting and make my Photoshop works seem different to everyone). Seeing how I was shocked to see how cheap the DELL monitors were (while excellent), I made a little research and settled on a model to purchase a day later, and it was then when I found out about these 120HZ+ monitors (articles, reviews, examples and what not) and realized that this is the way to go.

I'd narrowed it down to either the BENQ XL2420T or ASUS VG248QE, and after seeing how cheaper the ASUS is compared to the BENQ, I had decided to go for it. and I then found out about the G-SYNC new technology. and again - hours of research, reading, etc etc, and I realized that sadly, it isn't something to be taken lightly, and I should have it, seeing how you don't upgrade a monitor that often (in fact, you upgrade it less frequently than you would your PC)

This is when I was starting to get dizzy and frustrated by all ideas and paths to choose from (I imagine you guys are in worse shape, seeing how you've known and been to this for a while at least, and have been waiting for way longer than I have been)
At first I was thinking that I should just get the ASUS and then wait for NVIDIA to stock up on their G-SYNC DIY kits.
Afterwards, I was thinking that maybe I'd be better off holding out on the purchase and waiting for the new monitors to release.
I then realized that you guys have said that some of the new monitors should have been here already, and something isn't right, and you're sick of the waiting game. I then read that ASUS' first model to be released will be a 27" monitor, which is not for me. I plan to get a 24" monitor maximum. I read about BENQ's XL2420G and realized it would make the best option, but yeah - it's not here
and I then realized that this is a relatively newer version by BENQ (while not G-SYNC - it is v.2, I'm talking about the Z series) and thought that the BENQ XL2420Z would make a fine pick too.

BOTTOM LINE - I'm confused and have no clue how to proceed. Do I wait? G-Sync is worth it, isn't it? But then again, isn't Z close enough? If you guys advice me not to wait (and let's assume that you do, because I doubt that you actually would, unless I'm mistaken) so what would be my best pick? XL2420Z? (what's the difference between this one and the 11Z, btw?) or VG248QE?

If knowing which kind of games I'll be playing would help - that'd be CS:GO, and soon-to-be GTA V, Watch Dogs, possibly DayZ, and you know, the normal stuff in the future (focused on CS:GO).
The monitor will also use as my TV (movies and TV series) seeing how I don't own a TV and use my computer for it.

I know you guys are probably as confused as I am (as to whether you should wait or not), but you should be able to provide me with some new information and/or shed some light on things I wasn't aware of. Who knows, maybe you'll end up telling me that waiting isn't worth it, or that they are actually just around the corner, some more G-SYNC information, BENQ vs ASUS debate, and so on and so forth.

Thanks a lot guys, and sorry for the essay!
Last edited by TwentyFoe on 01 Apr 2014, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Wait for G-SYNC? Buy ASUS? Buy BENQ?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Apr 2014, 16:41

Hello TwentyFoe,

You make some very fine observations. We have all had the frustrating debate -- "buy now or buy later?!?!".
Normally, monitors are something you upgrade very rarely. Very true.

However, recently, there's been quite a significant acceleration in gaming monitor innovations, with the boom in motion-improving technologies including 120Hz, 144Hz, GSYNC, LightBoost, Turbo240, BENQ Blur Reduction, future OLED and everything else. For many years, there has been a stagnation in LCD displays (the LCD "dark ages" as many of us call it). There are occasionally times where innovation is accelerated (e.g. HDD -> SSD), and this is now happening to gaming monitors at the moment. There is a current seismic moment (HDD->SSD style) now occuring with gaming monitors. This catches a lot of people (including you) off guard.

Currently, I say "buy now, and then buy again later", because inevitably, even though there's a sudden acceleration in gaming display technologies, there are still delays (e.g. GSYNC monitors taking longer to arrive, OLED taking much longer than expected, etc.) You could buy a pre-modded ASUS GSYNC monitor, a BENQ XL2420Z/XL2720Z, or an Eizo FG2421, as the cream of the crop from the specific individual brands. Then upgrade later in a couple years when the GSYNC monitors start flooding in.

-- Triple digit framerates favour strobe technologies: If you primary play games that your GPU can run at triple-digit frame rates, then you're pretty fine with strobe-backlight technologies (e.g. LightBoost, Turbo240, BENQ Blur Reduction, or ULMB) since those perform the best at framerates matching refreshrates. Strobe modes will provide the biggest upgrades to that.
-- Low/variable framerates favour GSYNC: If you primarily play games that run at only double-digit frame rates, GSYNC will provide the biggest upgrade to those. However, as you already know, GSYNC is taking longer than expected to arrive.
-- Prioritizing resolution over motion blur? Consider overclockables: If you don't care about motion blur but really want extra resolution, look at the QNIX QX2710 overclockable. In TestUFO motion blur tests, they only have ~40-50% less motion blur (2x clearer motion) rather than 80-95% less motion blur (5-20x clearer motion found in strobed monitors) than 60Hz due to the lack of persistence-lowering motion-blur-eliminating strobe backlight technology. But you cheaply get extra resolution at 2560x1440p, if you have the GPU horsepower to push those pixels.
-- Consider new 1440p GSYNC if you plan uber-powerful GPUs: If you have a 780/Titan or SLI, you may wait two or three months for the $799 ASUS ROG PG278Q which will provide both GSYNC and ULMB strobing, plus extra resolution, if that's within your budget and patience. You may need double the amount of GPU to drive that at 120Hz-worthy framerates, compared to a 1080p monitor, but you do get the GSYNC bonus of looking really good at lower frame rates. On the other hand, Counterstrike as an older game with lower resolution textures, might not benefit as much from that monitor as newer games such as Crysis/BF4 that can use ultra high resolution textures.
-- Tight budgets might not favour GSYNC til 2015: If your budget is tight, you may consider that GSYNC monitors will probably be premium priced for the rest of the year. You may wish to today buy a cheaper 120Hz monitor that is only 1080p, considering the encouragement of a potentially pricey R9 280+ or GeForce 770+ GPU (unless you play only CS:GO, then an old GeForce 600 series will be enough for 120fps@120Hz operation). Then buy GSYNC when within your budget.
-- Cheap strobed 120Hz: The VG248QE and XL2411T are longtime budget 120Hz faourites. That said be noted that the cheapeast 120Hz monitor, VG248QE LightBoost mode is somewhat low in color quality. If colors is extremely important (considering the TN limitations), I'd encourage spending the extra $100 on the BENQ Z-Series version 2 which has full colors & contrast in its strobe mode (BENQ Blur Reduction).

For many of us, monitor upgrade cycles have (at least temporarily) accelerated, as long as we can afford it and/or resell the monitor in an upgrade... For others of us, it's a suddenly faster-moving target that frustrate waiting cycles -- much like deciding whether SSDs are yet cheap enough to replace all your hard disks! So nobody can blame anyone for buy now or buy later in these new monitors...! Bottom line, if you can afford it, "Buy now, then buy again later"

The currently available technologies are right now listed in the Official List of 120Hz Monitors - but I think you've discovered that page by now!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

TwentyFoe

Post by TwentyFoe » 01 Apr 2014, 17:23

@Chief Blur Buster thanks!
I think I've read pretty much everything you just said, during these couple of days (your posts are so helpful), but I was overwhelmed by all that info that it only did good having you come and organize it for me, lol

I like what you said about the "buy and sell", because it is so true. It's not like I'm going to turn it into garbage. after a quick sweep - even my currently 19" Samsung 971P will pretty much look brand new, and with BENQ's cover - it will be way easier to maintain that (again - given the idea that i'll end up selling for a GSYNC).
I do actually don't plan on playing CRYSIS/BF4 and those kind of games. That isn't my type (in FPS, for example, I like the old-school approach, CS-like - you start - you shoot, and that's it. No tanks, cars, planes and what not, haha) so I guess I am categorized under that category (until for the time being - who knows what kind of games future holds, and I'm not sure how Watch Dogs and GTA V will be like in terms of GPU usage and FPS etc [I assume the information is there, but I haven't bothered looking it up]) so yeah, it's not a big deal!
Like I said, I was leaning towards the ASUS for it's price (not neglecting the fact that it was praised too), but ever since I read here about the colors, and (again, in your posts, and others - too) - about the blur and all, and after finding out about the Z series - I really did turn 180 degrees and realized I should go for the BENQ, but the GSYNC thing was killing me - and what you just said really helped me settle (as I said above). Also, I liked what you said about the budget - because I forgot to mention that. Assuming that these monitors will be extremely expensive - I won't be able to purchase them anyway (and seeing how the 27" G is meant to begin at 799$, that is what I mean) - and you pretty much nailed it, because I also meant to say that I'd feel stupid to hold off on buying and then see the price and end up not buying anyway.

Anyway that's cool. I'd only hoped this thread will make my decision easier, but I didn't actually expect it to happen ^_^

thanks a lot!

EDIT:
only one thing remains - the differences between 11Z and 20Z? I think I read that 11Z is the less-'flashier' version of 20Z, but then I checked Amazon and see them both priced pretty much the same, so I don't get it. (BTW - I'm going to have to pay like ~660$ for a monitor [extra taxes, delivery fees and stuff - but oh well! The 20T sells for about ~170$ more, and in fact, the Z isn't available here at all, so it's all relative]
EDIT II:
Actually, are those V2 firmware at all? http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-XL2420Z-24-I ... NQ+XL2420Z
I guess not D: isn't there a way to purchase those via Amazon? I don't think I can purchase directly off of ASUS'
Maybe I'd be better off buying the upgrade kit separately? (Hoping it does ship internationally)
EDIT III:
Yup, $ 42.15 x 1 + $ 20.63 = $ 62.78
I hope there is a better alternative (other than making it alone), though D:
Last edited by TwentyFoe on 01 Apr 2014, 17:48, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Apr 2014, 17:47

TwentyFoe -- it looks like you aren't in the USA where you can easily get Z-Series Version 2 monitors off BENQ's USA website. For the case of being outside of the US market, it can be vastly more than a $100 difference between the cheapest 120Hz monitor and much better picture quality strobing. Most BENQ Z-Series units on Amazon are still V1 firmwares, but they can be upgraded. So, in this case if you don't want to do a DIY upgrade or pay extra expense, one could wait (possibly months -- ouch) plan to also obtain the MSTAR ISP (+$60 extra, not including taxes/import), or simply to purchase alternatives such as the VG248QE/XL2411T or if you want better LightBoost color, the 27" models such as ASUS VG278HE or BENQ XL2720T. Those monitors are easier and cheaper to obtain than the Z-Series. Yes, I know -- this is frustrating for the non-US members here when not getting the latest and greatest at reasonable prices!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

TwentyFoe

Post by TwentyFoe » 01 Apr 2014, 17:55

Chief Blur Buster wrote:TwentyFoe -- it looks like you aren't in the USA where you can easily get Z-Series Version 2 monitors off BENQ's USA website. In this case, since it would be vastly more than a $100 difference, it might be probably best to wait (possibly months -- ouch) plan to also obtain the MSTAR ISP (+$60 extra, not including taxes/import), or simply to purchase alternatives such as the VG248QE/XL2411T or if you want better LightBoost color, the 27" models such as ASUS VG278HE or BENQ XL2720T. Those monitors are easier and cheaper to obtain than the Z-Series. Yes, I know -- this is frustrating for the non-US members here when not getting the latest and greatest at reasonable prices!
Check my edits - you pretty much said what I found out a step by step - but is it really such a big deal?
Why would I choose to wait months just in order to spare 40$ extra? (delivery of the piece + the difference between the Amazon price [377$] to ASUS' [400$]. there is no extra fee for such small and relatively cheap items, so it sums up to about 40$) Or worse yet - settle on a less qualified monitor O:
I mean, yeah, it does pretty suck seeing hw I have to pay all those extra fees for the monitor - but other than that, is there any advantage to purchasing a compatible version as opposed to manually doing it using the piece? (I don't consider a 5 minute task as a disadvantage. I consider a 40$ extra as one ^_^)

Thanks!

EDIT:
Once you're done with the upgrade, you can unplug the piece, right? lol because you sounded so pessimist that I began to wonder what it is that I'm missing!

TwentyFoe

Post by TwentyFoe » 01 Apr 2014, 19:48

I'm gonna bump it just in case you missed my EDIT and don't actually know I'm waiting for a response (cause that wasn't a rhetorical question D:)

Thanks!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Apr 2014, 19:55

Got it -- Lessee, if I missed anything:
-- Yep, XL2411Z and XL2420Z have identical picture. It is mainly exterior looks.
-- Currently, none of the monitors on Amazon are guaranteed to be V2. Be prepared to buy an MSTAR ISP if you get Z-Series off Amazon today.
-- Yep, if it's not too expensive to import the MSTAR ISP, and the extra cost of the Z-series is not bad over the VG248QE/XL2411T/XL2420T, and you've decided not to wait, you might as well get the Z.
-- Yep, you just disconnect the MSTAR ISP and you can resell it if you wish, after your V2 upgrade is successful. There's an active buy/sell/trade thread on MSTAR ISP's in the BENQ Blur Reduction forum.
-- Obviously, it's a personal decision which you buy; after doing one's homework.

This should answers any questions I might have missed (I hope!)
Which country are you located in, by the way?

TwentyFoe

Post by TwentyFoe » 01 Apr 2014, 20:04

Haha thanks! I was actually referring to my last question (the edit) - about being able to disconnect the piece, because like I said, you sounded so pessimist about this, offering new ways out etc etc that I began to think that I just might have to have this piece as a monitor-tail for the rest of its life, haha so yeah, you didn't have to go through all of the post, but thanks non the less! :mrgreen:

as for your question - I'm from Israel

Oh and I think I've found a way to buy from ASUS.com. We have this service site that pretty much lets you shop externally and delivers the item for you (it first gets shipped to a US residential address, and from there to ISR). I'm gathering information ^_^

Only thing that bothers me is what I see people are saying about the colors on the 20Z. I just hope it's because they are using the V1 firmware D: because I'd hate to only have this monitor good for gaming, PERIOD (I do know that's the main purpose, but you know, we don't game 24/7, and in my case - I'll use it as a TV screen whenever I wanna watch something)
So yeah, I'm just hoping they are too quick to judge it, maybe because of the v1, maybe colors not adjusted properly etc D:
Any input?

gtg though so I'll read whatever you and the rest of you guys say tomorrow.
Thanks a lot again for all the info (and this cool site, I really dig the UFO ^_^)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Apr 2014, 23:23

TwentyFoe wrote:Oh and I think I've found a way to buy from ASUS.com. We have this service site that pretty much lets you shop externally and delivers the item for you (it first gets shipped to a US residential address, and from there to ISR). I'm gathering information ^_^
You could also do that for BENQ USA, if you were getting the Z-Series, too.
TwentyFoe wrote:Only thing that bothers me is what I see people are saying about the colors on the 20Z. I just hope it's because they are using the V1 firmware D: because I'd hate to only have this monitor good for gaming, PERIOD (I do know that's the main purpose, but you know, we don't game 24/7, and in my case - I'll use it as a TV screen whenever I wanna watch something)
Most 144Hz monitors have degraded colors when running at a high refresh rate; but are much better colors when running at 60Hz. Also, the VG248QE is also widely known to have lower quality than average colors, so the Z-Series is no different from that. A lot of it is also because the colors are also not adjusted properly -- default calibration on some BENQ's aren't that good.
TwentyFoe wrote:Thanks a lot again for all the info (and this cool site, I really dig the UFO ^_^)
Thanks for the compliment!

Achilles

Post by Achilles » 01 Apr 2014, 23:31

You are probably going to be very disappointed if you buy the BenQ monitor with the intent to use it for watching movies/series as well. The BenQ XL series are strictly for gaming and it is optimized for that purpose.

I would advise you to get two monitors, the BenQ for gaming and an IPS or PLS panel for watching movies and general use such as internet browsing and reading.

Also, have a look at the Samsung U28D590D. It is a new 4k monitor with a TN panel (this is good in this case since it makes it very affordable, i.e. not $2000, and gives it quick pixel transitioning which is very good for gaming. It is also capable of doing 60Hz via display port. Look up youtube videos about this monitor where people play some games with it to get a better idea of the monitor. Keep in mind that you will need a nvidia geforce gtx 770/780/780ti to give you adequate fps, else it is going to be a stutter and blurry mess. The only thing with a 4k monitor at the moment that I have read, is that things like steam chat,etc. is a little irritating as you have to manually find a way to increase the text size, since it is natively very small on a 4k monitor.

Thus, to sum things up: I would say get two different monitors for the two different intentions you have for it or if you have to only get one monitor I will leave it to other members of this community to advise a good all purpose monitor for you (maybe the Asus VG278HE, but from your post I can deduce that you want a 24" monitor for gaming purposes since a person's field of view isn't very big in the first place).

For watching movies and browsing the internet you will probably want to look at an IPS/PLS panel for the better viewing angles, if you most likely sitting on a couch or lying on the bed while watching video. Stay clear of the dell ultra sharp monitors like the u2312hm, etc. since it has a hard anti-glare coating that makes reading text on a white background look very grainy apparently.

The Dell P2414H might be the best all around cheap option monitor for you since it doesn't have a hard anti-glare coating like the ultra sharp range from what I have read and Dell monitors are some of the lowest input lag monitors around that I know of (manufacturers doesn't normally state input lag, you have to do some research to find this out, tftcentral is a good website for this type of information).

The Samsung S24D590PL is also a very new PLS monitor that you might like for watching movies and maybe even for gaming.

If I were you I would get both the BenQ XL2411Z and the Samsung S24D590PL. That's the decision I would be the happiest with. Just keep in mind you will need a MSTAR unit as discussed on blur buster's forums to upgrade the BenQ Z model to version 2 firmware so that you can make use of the third party blur buster utility for adjusting the blur reduction feature, that is if you intend to even use the blur reduction feature, else you can just keep it with version 1 firmware. You will also need to probably either buy a 1000Hz polling rate mouse or download the drivers of your mouse to adjust it to 1000Hz since the blur reduction feature gets rid of most motion blur and then you will apparently even start to notice jaggy mouse cursor movements because there is not enough motion blur to hide this jaggy movement (seems once you solve one problem, it exposes another problem).

I hope my post really helps you in making a good decision so that you don't get buyers remorse but feel that you have made a good decision with the information you had available to you at your time of purchase.
Last edited by Achilles on 01 Apr 2014, 23:55, edited 2 times in total.