is there a normal gamer monitor ?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
gabethomas

is there a normal gamer monitor ?

Post by gabethomas » 17 Mar 2019, 15:33

I start with an Axer XB252Q with bad sharnpess and bad really really bad colors (after calibrated)
Now have Asus PG258Q with Interlace Pattern Artifacts aka Pixel Inversion aka Pixel walk.

Is there a normal monitor for competetive FPS gaming ?

karavanasam

Re: is there a normal gamer monitor ?

Post by karavanasam » 17 Mar 2019, 15:46

So you tried 240hz but had problems.You can find a monitor with less problems if you look for a 144/165 hz monitor.:)
I can recommend my monitor.I like it a lot but some others dont like its overdrive.Dont know if I recommend it or not.It is Vg258QR 165 hz Displayport.It has great sharpness and no problems.I am pretty sure some others also will recommend other models.:)

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 17 Mar 2019, 17:11

VG258QR is not sharp at all!! The text is blurry and once you scroll on web pages the words almost disappear with its bad overdrive.

I understand what you are asking with a "normal gaming monitor", a monitor without obvious flaws and that doesn´t feel like you wasted your money right? Well I had the same issue you did, with the difference that I tried almost 40 monitors right now.

For you I´m just a random dude on the internet so you might not take my word seriously; but I will do it anyway. If you want a problem free monitor, get the ViewSonic XG2402 144hz and be happy. Best gaming monitor ever made imo and I tried all 240hz etc.

Cheers

gabethomas

Post by gabethomas » 17 Mar 2019, 17:16

karavanasam wrote:So you tried 240hz but had problems.You can find a monitor with less problems if you look for a 144/165 hz monitor.:)
I can recommend my monitor.I like it a lot but some others dont like its overdrive.Dont know if I recommend it or not.It is Vg258QR 165 hz Displayport.It has great sharpness and no problems.I am pretty sure some others also will recommend other models.:)

Thanks but yeah overdirve is another issue what I dont want to see :D . I tried to read a lot and if I understand it well lot of problems with TN panel what manufactured by AU Optronics.

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 17 Mar 2019, 17:52

Thanks but yeah overdirve is another issue what I dont want to see :D . I tried to read a lot and if I understand it well lot of problems with TN panel what manufactured by AU Optronics.[/quote]

You cant find a monitor without problems.If it's overdrive doesnt cause problems,that also can mean it is a SLOW monitor.I am 40 years old and I am a gamer for a long time.I probably used 6 monitors and I can say this is the best gaming monitor I used in my whole life.Almost close to a CRT with a good brightness and sharpness.:) But it is your money.Read reviews of monitors and decide.I trusted Prad.de and I am glad I did.

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 17 Mar 2019, 17:59

Notty_PT wrote:VG258QR is not sharp at all!! The text is blurry and once you scroll on web pages the words almost disappear with its bad overdrive.

I understand what you are asking with a "normal gaming monitor", a monitor without obvious flaws and that doesn´t feel like you wasted your money right? Well I had the same issue you did, with the difference that I tried almost 40 monitors right now.

For you I´m just a random dude on the internet so you might not take my word seriously; but I will do it anyway. If you want a problem free monitor, get the ViewSonic XG2402 144hz and be happy. Best gaming monitor ever made imo and I tried all 240hz etc.

Cheers
You have major problems with your VG258QR.I understand.But my monitor doesnt have same problems like yours.Are you sure you use displayport?I used HDMI just to test it and it was terrible.But displayport.This is the way this monitor should be used.I use VividPixel:50 and it makes both image and text perfectly sharp.VividPixel is a dream setting for me.I always wanted something like that.It also has Sharpness setting but I didnt touch it.No need.It also is very fast monitor.True it does have some overdrive trail when used by TraceFree:100 but it really is not a problem.I saw it only when I surf on some websites.I am not very sensitive to them.I rarely see any of them when I play games.And I play many games. 8-)
Last edited by karavanasam on 17 Mar 2019, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 17 Mar 2019, 18:07

Also wanted to write something about Viewsonic.I had a Viewsonic monitor 120hz some model 5/6 years ago.It was that bad,I gave it to a friend and used another monitor.I used many different monitors,Samsung,Philips,LG,BenQ but Viewsonic was the worst.Yes it was fluid when I used 120hz but image quality was worse compared to 60hz.I used it 60 hz mostly because 120hz image was dull.Also brightness wasnt that good.When I play a football game,screen looks like dirty when game moves.You dont know me or the other guy but whatever you do,DO NOT buy a Viewsonic monitor.Trust me.:)

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 17 Mar 2019, 18:32

You can´t say ViewSonic is bad just because a specific model was bad! The fact you had a bad 120hz viewsonic model, wich most likely is very old, doesn´t mean ViewSonic XG2402 or other Viewsonic models are bad like you are implying. That makes no sense.

The same monitor model can have different behaviours regarding backlight bleed, clouding and slightly different colour accuracy. But there aren´t massive overdrive differences between each sample and you already have a lot of people complaining about Asus VG258QR bad overdrive on the internet. You should check reddit topic about it and the topic here on the forum, where gamers clearly state that Trace Free 40 is the only usable setting on this monitor and after that is an overshoot fest. However you are using it at 100, wich must be painful even on a 2d environment (windows), plus VividPixel wich completly ruins the input lag.

gabethomas

Post by gabethomas » 18 Mar 2019, 03:40

Notty_PT wrote:VG258QR is not sharp at all!! The text is blurry and once you scroll on web pages the words almost disappear with its bad overdrive.

Cheers
Thank you Notty_PT !
Only problem with the WiewSonic XG2402 not available in my country. Literally I have chance to get a PG258Q without the pixel invert problem ? Or it's totally impossible ?
+ question ,are you tried:
LG 24GM79G-B or LG 27GK750F-B ?

or last option is IPS right ?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 18 Mar 2019, 04:14

I have an IPS 165Hz (ViewSonic XG2703-GS) and it does seem like a "normal" gaming monitor to me. I usually play games at 90-120FPS (G-Sync,) and only use 165Hz in CS:GO. Which, again, to me seems to be "normal" gaming. I don't need 165Hz in Witcher 3, for example. It's already near perfect at 100FPS. "Normal."

Colors are great, the image is not washed out, contrast and gamma are nice, and there's no "patterns" whatsoever on the screen. It's great for gaming as well as movies and also work (lots of text.) It is the best monitor I have owned since the CRT era in the 90's when it comes to gaming enjoyment.

I don't classify eSports monitors as "normal" gaming monitors.

However, just because a display uses an IPS panel doesn't mean it's guaranteed to have good image quality. You need to research and find out what other people's experiences are, and what the trusted reviewers say about it.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.