AOC G2590FX monitor : ghosting ?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Sphane

AOC G2590FX monitor : ghosting ?

Post by Sphane » 18 Mar 2019, 13:32

Hi,

I just bought an AOC G2590FX 144 Hz monitor (TN panel and g-sync compatible). I'm happy with it, except for one thing : black texts on a white background make ghosting when I move them or when I scroll (Word or web page like forums). It's rather subtle and this isn't the case with other colors (almost nothing with gray text on a white background, for exemple).

To explain better, the black text seems to become slightly bold when I moving it on a white background and it's the same for my cursor. Here are some pictures (rather bad alas) illustrating what I'm talking about (the first shows the case where the window is motionless to give a point of comparison):

Image (this second photo seems to highlight the phenomenon that is less noticeable in reality)

I'm really annoyed, because if I didn't notice anything when I play a game (like Overwatch), I spend a lot of time typing documents with Word and it's disturbing that the text thickens when I scroll it.

I would like to know if it's normal with this type of monitor (rather inexpensive compared to others) or if you think I came across a screen with a manufacturing defect.

My settings:
Game Mode : Gamer2
Shadow Control : 50
Game Color : 10
LowBlue Mode : Multimedia
Overdrive : Medium (no difference with or without, apart from "High" who causes reverse ghosting)
Contrast : 40
Brightness : 36
Gamma : Gamma3
DCR : Off
Eco Mode : Standard
Color Temp. : Warm
DCB Mode : Off

(Sorry for my bad English, I'm French and I'm trying to manage with Google Translate)

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: AOC G2590FX monitor : ghosting ?

Post by RealNC » 18 Mar 2019, 14:09

I had the same issue with another AOC monitor. It had very bad overdrive, only suitable for 60Hz, but AOC doesn't seem to care much at all. The only thing that fixes it is turning off overdrive. If you can't turn off overdrive, then there's nothing else you can do.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 18 Mar 2019, 15:37

Exactly same problem found on the Asus VG258QR and pretty much any modern Asus monitor. Overdrive problem! Companies do not care anymore and that is a shame. You can see my complains about this issue here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5018&start=40

My favourite brands, overdrive wise are:

- ViewSonic
- Dell/AlienWare
- LG

Dell/AlienWare also use the best coating, not as aggressive as the other brands, so the grainy effect isn´t as bad.

Sphane

Post by Sphane » 23 Mar 2019, 07:22

Thank you for your answers.
:)
RealNC wrote:If you can't turn off overdrive, then there's nothing else you can do.
As for overdrive, I didn't observe any difference between the "off", "weak" and "medium" modes. On the other hand, the "strong" setting adds a relatively intense reverse ghosting.
Notty_PT wrote:Exactly same problem found on the Asus VG258QR and pretty much any modern Asus monitor. Overdrive problem! Companies do not care anymore and that is a shame.
So you don't think I came across a defective screen, but rather that it's a general problem?
:?:

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 23 Mar 2019, 08:01

Sphane wrote:As for overdrive, I didn't observe any difference between the "off", "weak" and "medium" modes.
Does it also happen at 60Hz? If not, then I guess setting overdrive to "off" does not actually disable it. In my case, the problem was that AOC only implemented overdrive for 60Hz. The higher Hz modes looked horrible as a result with active OD.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Sphane

Post by Sphane » 23 Mar 2019, 10:12

RealNC wrote:Does it also happen at 60Hz? If not, then I guess setting overdrive to "off" does not actually disable it. In my case, the problem was that AOC only implemented overdrive for 60Hz. The higher Hz modes looked horrible as a result with active OD.
Damned, you're right !
:?
By setting the screen at 60 Hz and disabling the overdrive, the phenomenon disappears almost completely and reappears if I activate the overdrive.

That said, I didn't buy a 144 Hz display for use it at 60 Hz!
:|
Everything happens as if at 144 Hz I had only the choice between "medium overdrive" (active even in "off" or "weak") and "strong overdrive" (with reverse ghosting), while I can stop it at 60 Hz...

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 23 Mar 2019, 12:53

Well, there's nothing you can do about it other than return the monitor and get another brand, unfortunately.

AOC has a history of bad overdrive. In the past, they sent monitors to reviewers that had OD always disabled when using higher than 60Hz modes in order to hide the problem and not get negative reviews :-/

See this review for example:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ao ... 472-7.html

The review models had overdrive disabled for >60Hz. However, when I bought it at the store, it had OD enabled with the exact same problem you are describing. If the reviewers had received real units, they would have probably criticized the bad overdrive. I've been wary of AOC ever since.

Sphane

Post by Sphane » 29 Mar 2019, 13:35

RealNC wrote:Well, there's nothing you can do about it other than return the monitor and get another brand, unfortunately.
So, which screen do you advise me to buy? I want a 24 inch 144 Hz that is g-sync compatible and without this kind of problem (ghosting).
:?:

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 29 Mar 2019, 13:43

Some people seem to like the ViewSonic XG2402. It has very good OSD controls for adjusting colors and gamma. It doesn't appear to have any ghosting issues.

Sphane

Post by Sphane » 06 Apr 2019, 12:08

RealNC wrote:Some people seem to like the ViewSonic XG2402. It has very good OSD controls for adjusting colors and gamma. It doesn't appear to have any ghosting issues.
Thank you for this very good advice.
I bought the XG2402 and I'm very satisfied. There is also a phenomenon of ghosting when moving a window with black text on a white background, but its intensity is much lower (I'm probably too perfectionist). In addition, the flexibility of the XG2402's settings makes it possible to obtain a much better respect for colors.

In short, it's a real improvement!
I use these settings:

Gaming Settings= CUSTOM 1
Rampage Response= Fast
Black Stabilization= 11
Brightness= 36
Contrast= 60
Color Saturation= 50
Gamma= 2.6
AMD FreeSync= On
Color Temperature= Full Color Control