Stutter on most games

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
ko4

Stutter on most games

Post by ko4 » 23 Mar 2019, 01:24

In every game I play it seems like if the game is trying to load new parts of the map I get microstutter.
Apex legends, fortnite, the division 2, basically all games with a sort of open world map, all of them stutter when moving around in the map. Not sure if this is a ram, disk or vram problem. Its the type of stutter where gpu usage goes to 0, the frametime increase can be seen in rivatuner overlay.

not sure what software I should use to diagnose this problem. Testing ram tonight with memtest. Any suggestions?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Stutter on most games

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Mar 2019, 01:40

You can reduce game-load microstutter by:

(A) Use really fast SSDs such as M.2 SSDs (Samsung 960 Pro at a few gigabytes/sec can do wonders)
(B) Get plenty of RAM such as 32GB to cache a lot of the game in memory. 16GB is minimum nowadays.
(C) Lots of GPU RAM, like 11GB or more on your graphics card, to minimize textures-swap microstutter
(D) At least four core processor (two cores microstutter more, as OS and GPU drivers ends up needing to pull some threads)

Concurrently hitting the problem from multiple angles (A)+(B)+(C)+(D) all simultaneously does wonders to microstutters. That said, the game starts to become the limiting factor after you've optimized.

Once you're optimized out, and the game is microstuttering on you, you're pretty much stuck (prone to the game programming) -- especially if everyone else has the same problem with the same game on the fastest computers.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ko4

Post by ko4 » 23 Mar 2019, 02:00

I don't think this is a matter of optimizing in my case. Even lightweight games like VRchat stutter when moving around the map. I think something is wrong in my hardware and I need to find the problem

ko4

Post by ko4 » 23 Mar 2019, 12:56

Chief Blur Buster wrote:You can reduce game-load microstutter by:

(A) Use really fast SSDs such as M.2 SSDs (Samsung 960 Pro at a few gigabytes/sec can do wonders)
(B) Get plenty of RAM such as 32GB to cache a lot of the game in memory. 16GB is minimum nowadays.
(C) Lots of GPU RAM, like 11GB or more on your graphics card, to minimize textures-swap microstutter
(D) At least four core processor (two cores microstutter more, as OS and GPU drivers ends up needing to pull some threads)

Concurrently hitting the problem from multiple angles (A)+(B)+(C)+(D) all simultaneously does wonders to microstutters. That said, the game starts to become the limiting factor after you've optimized.

Once you're optimized out, and the game is microstuttering on you, you're pretty much stuck (prone to the game programming) -- especially if everyone else has the same problem with the same game on the fastest computers.
Messed around in unigine superposition, this is the type of stutter that happens in real games, when moving to new areas or when lookg at new parts of the map
phpBB [video]

In unigine heaven
phpBB [video]

as you can see, stutter when moving around the map and when looking around but frametimes look fine and stable when doing nothing