>>> VOTE!!!! Ideas To Help Blur Busters!

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!

How Would You Like To Help Blur Busters Pay For Itself?

I Use An Ad Blocker
18%
Add More Advertisements to Main Website (http://www.blurbusters.com)
13%
Add Banner Advertisements Here (to these discussion forums)
13%
Patreon-style Monthly Donation/Subscription (pay to get ads removed)
19%
Early Access Content
11%
More Affiliate Links (Amazon, NewEgg, eBay, etc)
22%
Other (please followup with idea)
3%

Total votes: 508

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: >>> VOTE!!!! Ideas To Help Blur Busters!

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Nov 2020, 17:42

Randomoneh wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 19:38
3. Ads anywhere in any form but none from monitor, TV or mouse manufacturers
I presume you say this out of a neutrality concern, so for fair disclosure, a technical education of how advertisement networks now operates these days:

Blur Busters Ad Neutrality FAQ

Blur Busters usesautomated ad-bidding network system, and many advertisers just bid en-masse to a mass bucket of technology sites:

-- Even to this date, I don't even know all the monitor manufacturers that have ever biddeed.
-- Many advertisers don't even know they advertised on Blur Busters.

I don't get to choose the ads but I can exclude entire categories. I have specifically excluded three categories: no adult ads, no gambling ads, and no politics/election ads. Those ad categories are not allowed at Blur Busters.

If you notice any advertiser violates my strict category exclusion -- send me a direct blurbusters email via the website email link -- and I will promptly reprimand my ad vendor, AND will unceremoniously drop that advertiser from my ads.txt file. I also banned popup ads & desktop-browser sticky ads so if those appear, those advertisers are unceremoniously banned by Blur Busters as instantly as possible -- fortunately the ad agency has complied. I hate annoying popover ads, the ad formats I allow are a compromise.

All general electronics advertising is currently allowed. Excluding "Electronics" category means I'll have a large loss, making all the laptop ads and VR headset ads and Denon/Kenwood stereo ads and iPhone/Android ads disappear. Sometimes there's fine-tuned categories I can exclude, but they are currently too granular to configure.

The advertisers bid through my advertising network supplier (NextMillennium) using the industry-standard ads.txt -- mentioned in the Privacy Policy of Blur Busters; the Privacy Policy link found at the bottom of all Blur Busters pages -- system whereupon any advertisers can independently bid and fill space without my involvement -- I'm currently unaware which manufacturers have advertised in the banners in the past except I know at least some of them has. Thus, I am zero influenced by who advertises because the adfill is done unbeknownst to my knowledge!

I've seen ad fills from places like big name car manufacturers, mortgages, travel, conventions, banks, Amazon, Best Buy, virtual reality, etc. It's nice that Blur Busters is now able to be in the mainstream banner leagues now, even I'm still a small website compared to many.

Going with a banner ad agency that uses an automated auction-based system, was the best bang for the buck, though it only fills a % of the food on tables and roofs over heads, etc.

Consequently, it means monitor/TV/mouse companies can advertise if they wish, but I definitely won't be influenced by their advertising --

This is because the ad agency bidding system is automated for a pool of ads going to a pool of websites, automatically. Manufacturer just configure "Bid on Tech Websites", with a number (how many fills, total budget).

And the online ad agency it through all the ad networks in the industry standard ads.txt (found at many sites with ad banners, like tomshardware.com/ads.txt ... anandtech.com/ads.txt ... arstehcnica.com/ads.txt .... nytimes.com.ads.txt ... foxnews.com/ads.txt ... cnn.com/ads.txt ... overclock.net/ads.txt etc) to get the best adfill price through the banner ad networks. And then, finally, only then, the ad banner appears.

Thus, even though manufacturers bid on my site (often unbeknownst to their knowledge & unbeknownst to my knowledge), advertisement banners has no effect on my manufacturer neutrality. Conversely, I have only coarse control over excluding ads (e.g. ban adult ads, ban gambling ads), and banning "Electronics" category is too big of an exclusion.

A few websites completely opt out of advertising altogether (e.g. RTINGS) and depend more on a Patreon-style mechanism. That currently isn't practical at Blur Busters because we don't mass-test monitors; Blur Busters invents many tests that other websites mass-test with -- in a modified proverb -- we teach sites to fish, rather than give fish one at a time. More industry changing that way!

So Blur Busters has to rely on some additional sources of revenue to fund the continued operation of Blur Busters which is often smaller than some of our clients that uses our tests (such as RTINGS). Small, but powerful in high-Hz advocacy.

I have no problem if users wish to anonymize or use ad blockers -- it is your choice even if Blur Busters loses out -- I give express permission to turn on your ad blocker since it's mainly the experienced users that do -- but over 90%-98% of mainstream people don't bother.

One can also disable tracking (i.e. FireFox); the ads go more generic if you disable tracking. Most mainstream users do prefer more relevant ads, while advanced users sometimes prefer to turn off tracking for privacy reasons. I don't have awareness of the ads-relevance tracking at the fine level -- the automated software at the ad agency does that and the ad agency analytics does not reveal any of the tracking to me, so I don't even know which manufacturers advertised nor which users are tracked for which ad categories of interest, even if you saw an uncannily-relevant Amazon or Best Buy ad. The generic common ads-configure portal (that NextMillennium uses), only gives me basic analytics which is more fair to users, I don't want to know more than necessary. Some of the laws make it that way anyway in some countries, which the ad agencies have to follow. If the ad agency is breaking the law, they are reprimanded.

I rather experienced users (like you) volunteer to subscribe via Patreon instead, which will automatically disable the advertisements on both Forums and Main Site when logged on. A system will come out in 2021. Keep tuned.

P.S. For those worried about TestUFO... I have NO plans to add non-BlurBusters advertising to any TestUFO pages. It may advertise links to Blur Busters (self promotion) but TestUFO will stay clean (sorry, advertisers, I get hundreds of emails asking to advertise on TestUFO).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Nov 2020, 18:40

RamenRider wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 10:54
I use ad blocker and disabled when I saw this thread, but you should definitely set up those banners that ask people to nicely disable ad block in order to help the site.
Ad blockers are allowed here. You don't have to turn off the ad blocker, although it's nice if you do (thank you).

It's more important that fans/readers/visitors like you to encourage Hz disbelievers to visit Blur Busters. One happy person with adblocker, who loves Blur Busters, advertises Blur Busters to 10 different people in the mainstream who doesn't use ad blockers. Spread the high-Hz word to all the Hz disbelievers, buddy!

Or perhaps subscribe to our Patreon in 2021?

Skew wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 18:05
Hey Mark, I'm super late to this, but have you thought about trying to boost your ranking on Google for keywords like "input lag", "input latency", or even just "lag"? Maybe even... "display lag"?
SEO is planned; keep tuned. Blur Busters has hands in many pots; so attenton is sometimes diluted: We're not greedy and rather focus on the great high-Hz advocacy. People who understand us well deeply respect the Blur Busters path. Dirty work like recently successfully having convinced Microsoft to lift the 512Hz Windows limit (for future). And other behind-the-scenes stuff. But our SEO does ....need some gentle white hat ethical improvements, indeed.

Randomoneh wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 19:38
1. Patreon + early access
HavenGames wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 18:20
I believe passionately in Blur Busters' vision, and I'd definitely support a Patreon. I don't mind ads, but it would be awesome to get access to inside info about the blur-busters roadmap and testing progress or perhaps some tamer tidbits which are less sensitive.
Patreon is coming 2021. I held off longer because of COVID and didn't want to push your empty wallets. Even as Blur Busters temporarily lost some income this year (ouch). But users are asking "Take My Money!" (even if it's a dollar or two or five or eleventeen) -- the ones who insta-upgrade to 3080s and 360Hz -- so I have resumed the Patreon planning for 2021. Keep tuned!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RamenRider

Post by RamenRider » 06 Nov 2020, 11:04

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
05 Nov 2020, 18:40
Patreon is coming 2021. I held off longer because of COVID and didn't want to push your empty wallets. Even as Blur Busters temporarily lost some income this year (ouch). But users are asking "Take My Money!" (even if it's a dollar or two or five or eleventeen) -- the ones who insta-upgrade to 3080s and 360Hz -- so I have resumed the Patreon planning for 2021. Keep tuned!
Naw just push it out now anyways. There's some people out there who did benefit from Covid. Makes no sense to not allow it, if people who can't afford it right now don't need to, it's their choice. But some people do want to support so at least give those guys the option.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Nov 2020, 15:04

Love to! But there is a good reason:

Patreon Logistics

The problem is I have not enough to offer to subscribers....yet. It takes some programming to customize the websites to disable the advertisements for Patreon. On both main site and on Forums. And a passworded early access system. And something that is easy and automatic.

Even then, I have to do it manually (change your account setting). Ideally, I want the ads to disable immediately upon the first payment — without waiting a few days for me to manually disable the ads for them (in those times that I am sick or away). Realistically I may have to do some manual work initially and automate the Patreon system.

Right now Forums and main website use separate logins, which complicates implementation of an ads-disable system. There is works to merge the accounts system of Blur Busters with the accounts system of Forums, but doing this in a way that doesn’t screw things up (two different people having the same userid under different passwords on the two different sites) — lots of domino effect complications.

Imagine maintaining 100 accounts or 500 accounts of people paying $1, $2 or $5 each — or even more — my audience includes cash-strapped gamers too so there would be that sort of thing too. Manually maintaining accounts is lots of work below minimum wage for whomever has to do it. Whether me, or me paying someone else to do this work — If I charge multiple fee Patreon subscriptions including low amounts. It has to be automatic, and that takes programming time to integrate - especially if not everyone wants to do a Social Media Login (which makes the work easier), as I respect people who wish to anonymize.

Alternatively, I could start focussing only on high minimum prices (e.g. $25 to $50 minimum monthly Patreon subscriptions). That would attract vendors/manufacturers/rich gamers but I honestly want to find ways to include a $1 or $2 or $5 entry too (for basic rewards such as disabled ads but no early access). To do that requires Patreon automation. I only get pennies per user per year for ads anyway, so it takes millions of visiors per year to really make ads worthwhile. More than 99 out of 100 people are lurkers on these forums that don’t have accounts, so I need to figure out how to disable ads without making them forum members if they don’t want to be forum members. That’s quite a conundrum. Everybody will want something different. So even low fee entry to disable ads, is worthwhile as long as it’s not below-minimum-wage work trying to maintain all the Patreon subscribers manually without an automated accounts system.

And the "damned-if-I-do, damned-if-I-dont" decisions can be stressful (to me), which has to be weighed against my time-effort of spreading the high-Hz word and mythbusting. But, today, Patreon is now worthwhile -- it is now high priority. Devil in the deets, tho.

And I have to do that to multiple sites (Forums, Main) and also some other related things like that. I want to launch when ready. The laundry todo list at Blur Busters is never-endingly long, but Patreon has bumped a few notches up the queue.

Some are happy just donating with no expectations of Patreon rewards, but others want rewards, so I want to make sure there are enough rewards that function properly (web modifications). I will try to accelerate things, but January or February 2021 is more realistic than Dec 2020.

Logistics, eh!

HavenGames

Post by HavenGames » 12 Nov 2020, 04:35

Maybe you're over-thinking this. I want to support you to encourage you and do my bit to make sure your mission can stay alive. I don't need anything back except for you to keep doing what you do.

Solarflare

Post by Solarflare » 23 Nov 2020, 20:03

Would be nice if blur buster profiles and tuneing / aproval was more of a thing like with the viewsonic monitor, i think affiliate program with aproved and tuned monitors would catch on and sell well so long as integrity stayed as high as it is and there was value there.

Maybe a tuned monitor sent to a top fps streamer for use/testing and if its legit the rest is history.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Jan 2021, 21:24

HavenGames wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 04:35
Maybe you're over-thinking this. I want to support you to encourage you and do my bit to make sure your mission can stay alive. I don't need anything back except for you to keep doing what you do.
I am famously an overthinker -- that's why Blur Busters exist.

My ability to reveal a lot of truth in the FUD makes Blur Busters the default microphone-dropping factory for refresh rate debates -- blowing up those "Humans Can't See 30fps Versus 60fps" and all descendant myths. Tens of millions per year now visit TestUFO Motion Tests which is far more popular than Blur Busters and Blur Busters Forums combined.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Jan 2021, 19:54

Why Doesn't Blur Busters Review Many Monitors?

TL;DR: We invent display tests & we help manufacturers.
We also not compete against our allies: reviewers/youtubers that use Blur Busters inventions (TestUFO, pursuit camera, etc)

Long Answer:

While Blur Busters raise the profile of high-Hz gaming monitors -- Blur Busters does not mass review monitors because Blur Busters does not want to compete against the users of my Blur Busters inventions (TestUFO, Pursuit Camera, etc) -- www.blurbusters.com/inventions

Blur Busters occasionally do special edition reviews (like Jorim's GSYNC 101 and others) to unveil new concepts though. Blur Busters avoid mass-reviewing because it operates very differently than the traditional monitor tester/reviewer -- help reviewers, help monitor manufacturers, etc.

Blur Busters would rather teach other websites how to review monitors. I have additional display testing inventions in the Blur Busters pipeline that other reviewers will use, as well.

More than a hundred websites, reviewers, YouTubers, use Blur Busters inventions to review monitors, including RTINGS which use our invention: www.blurbusters.com/motion-tests/reviewers-using-pursuit-camera

We have some expansions coming in 2021 involving monitor content (but not reviews).

Keep tuned!

gameinn

Post by gameinn » 17 Jan 2021, 10:11

I don't want to step on any toes here but I'd like to chime in on the "we do not review monitors" thing.

I get why you don't and it's a good reason but the problem is, it's not exactly benefiting the website. What I mean by that is this.

Now I know rtings reviews other stuff that is a given but unless I'm missing something, I have never ever once seen an rtings review mention blurbusters with something like "thanks to blurbusters for being able to use the camera pursuit in this review" or something like that. Even their XG270 review doesn't mention the website...

Even if we take a recent tftcentral review: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/as ... pg329q.htm

If you do a ctrl + f for blur busters or anyting like that nothing will pop up giving this site exposure. I think it should atleast be mandatory for the review sites that have been using the tech to atleast link to this website at a bare minimum.

Why is this a problem? If I'm a normal person and I see that Asus unveiled a monitor at CES 2021 or whatever I'm going to eventually put into Google "model number review" and I'm likely going to pop up with a tftcentral or rtings page. After reading that review I'm still not going to know blurbusters exists. None of them are going to advertise the location of the tests they use so they get the ad revenue, amazon affiliate links for using tests developed here. blur busters gets nothing.

I would really love to see you test this out. A great opportunity would be the viewsonic monitors at ces 2021. If you could independently publish a review of one model in the series and SEO the heck out of it, see what that does to website traffic. Monitors given blurbuster certification should have a personal review. I want to know why it was given certification on a personal basis etc etc. If you don't see an upwards trend in traffic to the site oh well but if you do, it could be worth doing it every few months with monitors considered "groundbreaking" in the field.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Feb 2021, 17:41

gameinn wrote:
17 Jan 2021, 10:11
I would really love to see you test this out. A great opportunity would be the viewsonic monitors at ces 2021. If you could independently publish a review of one model in the series and SEO the heck out of it, see what that does to website traffic. Monitors given blurbuster certification should have a personal review. I want to know why it was given certification on a personal basis etc etc. If you don't see an upwards trend in traffic to the site oh well but if you do, it could be worth doing it every few months with monitors considered "groundbreaking" in the field.
Great ideas!
Many of these are being implemented -- like SEO, link-exchanges, certification reasons, promoting reviewers, articles about Blur Busters Approved monitors, special edition reviews, etc.

However, one exception: There's bigger opportunities than becoming a mass-reviewer.

About becoming a "mass reviewer" of monitors ala RTINGS (etc). We almost became one, but decided against it.

Blur Busters is currently happy to leave money on the table to keep Blur Busters reputation high & stay within Blur Busters zealous mission as a "display temporals" business in the refresh rate race (Hz, GtG, MPRT, lag, VRR, sync, framerate, etc).

Without going into more detail, there are a lot of monetization opportunities that are bigger/friendlier than becoming a mass-reviewer.

But we are looking for other ways to monetize -- including potential sales of a hardware-based tester or other things (you've noticed this if you saw certain Input Latency threads) -- and improved prominence of the brand. Compared to our existing in-house testers (also used for Blur Busters Approvd), most lag testers are a joke. And we can cover areas LDAT can't. We even have a beautiful retail-looking prototype, but haven't decided whether we'd bring it to the market, since consulting services (Blur Busters Laboratory) is really 50% of what Blur Busters does -- whether Blur Busters Approved or services.blurbusters.com.

Currently, we still do not want to review monitors, but we are going to do something similar: We're going to encourage SEO requirements for reviewers a little bit -- we'll more frequently link to reviewers who more frequently link back to us, for example. Also we will be hiring some dedicated whitehat SEO to help a bit things too, but only after finishing improving performance (see this thread).

RTINGS are good friends of ours and I talk to their employees now and then. I've even visited their headquarters, since they are in Montreal, Canada and I am in Hamilton, near Toronto, Canada. RTINGS is kind of the 800 pound SEO gorilla, but Blur Busters doesn't want to

Also, because of industry requirements, not all reviewers want to link on the same pages, but RTINGS / TFTCentral / PCMonitors already links in other pages such as in their "testing methodology" pages. You do have to dig to find them. We'll probably add a new Blur Busters section to raise the profile that we're an inventor of tests. Also, indie reviewers are more willing to link-exchange SEO than big reviewers (RTINGS).

Also, TestUFO now has more than 10x more traffic than Blur Busters does, but I don't want to put ads on TestUFO. It's a tool used by many reviewers and we don't want to put advertisements on the handle of a hammer or screwdriver, but it is branded (Blur Busters) and UFO, so we can leverage our brand recognition in different ways. The reason Blur Busters / TestUFO has become popular is the tests are free & only require minor credit somewhere on the website. But we'll encourage more crediting especially as new test inventions are coming out.

We'll be more prominent, but not via monitor reviews which requires too much manpower -- I have more fun inventing tests, than executing the tests themselves (I can). And even if I delegate to someone else -- it is too costly to pay someone to review a monitor -- it can be up to the price of price of 100 news articles to publish 1 true Blur Busters quality review (not a watered down one), so getting 10x SEO won't be nearly as profitable as other Blur Busters monetization routes. RTINGS has more than 10x as many employees as Blur Busters does, and I'm not going to do the actual testing work (I just want to invent the tests for other people to use). If I get more reviewer resources, there will be an uptick in special edition reviews -- but not at the pace of the mainstream reviewers.

While I love RTINGS, I also plan to help make indie reviewers more popular through a creative method....just keep tuned. I don't want to spill the beans too early, but it's the Next Best Thing to actually directly mass-reviewing monitors.

There are other different plans by Blur Busters but they will regardless remain at very high levels of integrity -- Blur Busters is now profitable on its own terms, but Blur Busters is not greedy. We have indeed neglected reasonable white-hat SEO for a bit too long, and let the monitor lists go stale, but if you've watched the websites in the last 2 months, the design has changed, and performance has massively improved. 2021 is just getting started as there's big plans to majorly improve things.

Now...

What Blur Busters do need help is more part-time resources / freelancers.
That way I can focus on the "special sauce" while delegating other stuff.

-- Article Writers (mainstream)
-- Article Writers (Blur Busters specials)
-- SEO Specialist
-- Monitor List Database Maintainer (research monitors + keep database fresh)
-- Possibly C/C++/C# software developers for various Blur Busters softwares/hardwares coming out
-- Venture / Seed capital. (We've got some seed already)

Could be one or multiple people. While I prefer to recruit from the forums, a Careers section is coming soon to Blur Busters, to publish my need to recruit more resources that will help make Blur Busters more popular. The problem is I just can't always grab someone just off Fiverr.com / Upwork.com / Freelancers.com / etc, since they have to also understand the art of high-Hz and be trained on the Blur Busters concepts.

If you have ideas from this angle, I'm all ears -- even in a private conversation too.