>>> VOTE!!!! Ideas To Help Blur Busters!

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!

How Would You Like To Help Blur Busters Pay For Itself?

I Use An Ad Blocker
18%
Add More Advertisements to Main Website (http://www.blurbusters.com)
13%
Add Banner Advertisements Here (to these discussion forums)
13%
Patreon-style Monthly Donation/Subscription (pay to get ads removed)
19%
Early Access Content
11%
More Affiliate Links (Amazon, NewEgg, eBay, etc)
22%
Other (please followup with idea)
3%

Total votes: 508

Slender

Re: >>> VOTE!!!! Ideas To Help Blur Busters!

Post by Slender » 16 Feb 2022, 20:34

maybe live chat in forum?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Mar 2022, 13:38

Slender wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 20:34
For chat, a Discord channel is being considered, but we need to expand our moderator team before we allow live chat -- the forum is already pretty high-overhead for just a team of only 3 active moderators. Adding chat is a hot potato at the moment.

Other forums are impressed at how much we're achieving with so little, in such an (on average) such a well-behaved forum. Some complain about moderating styles of the various different forums (our forum, our rules), but that goes with any forum. I get a lot of PMs of compliments about how (relatively-speaking) well these forums are run -- far more than those who complain.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Eonds

Post by Eonds » 30 Apr 2022, 17:12

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
23 Mar 2019, 15:49
Blur Busters has recently deployed new advertisements at http://www.blurbusters.com
I'm trying to keep them non-intrusive and gentle.

As Blur Busters grows, it gets more expensive to operate...
Media Content, Research, Invent New Motion Tests, Invent New Products, Help Other Web Reviewers, Trips To Cover Conventions, Help Display Industry, Advocacy For High-Hz, Push The Refresh Rate Race, Etc, Etc.

Ideas
Now BlurBusters.com becoming a more mainstream website, is considering several options like
- Adding advertisements to these Forums
- Adding a Patreon style system to remove advertisements -- similiar to sites like AVSFORUM and ArsTechnica
- Etc.

About Patreon Style Systems: Many media websites such as Linus TechTips as well as ArsTechnica and others have their own respective "subscription" style systems or "Patreon" style systems that optionally lets you remove advertisements as well as get early VIP access to content. I'm NOT going to paywall the main media website (content will be freely viewable, though early-access options may be considered), just trying to find ideas to balance things out in a way fans are happy with.

About Amazon Affiliate links: For the last few years, Blur Busters have often posted Amazon links, as Blur Busters uses the Amazon Affiliate system. This helps pays for the costs of operating Blur Busters. Many users willingly appreciate this because they understand Blur Busters needs to pay for the costs of operations, but I totally understand some users hate them.

About Ad Blockers: No worries! I don't mind if some of you use an ad blocker or such, and clicking on links is purely optional, but I want to give users the option to support Blur Busters the way they would prefer.

VOTE on this poll: Appreciate your vote. You can select multiple boxes at the same time -- though please vote only one per checkbox per person...

Thank you!
UPDATE:
Want to support Blur Busters TODAY without waiting?

Purchase your Amazon goods via this affiliated link: www.amazon.com/?tag=blurbust-20
Add anything to shopping cart, checkout, and Amazon will send a small commission to Blur Busters (usually 2-3%)

There should be some sort of like / dislike button (can go negative in likes). There should also be a laugh emote similar to a website like facebook/twitter.

Eonds

Post by Eonds » 01 May 2022, 15:24

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
23 Mar 2019, 15:49
Also a dark mode would be really nice.

Slender

Post by Slender » 16 Jun 2022, 05:28

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
02 Mar 2022, 13:38
Slender wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 20:34
For chat, a Discord channel is being considered, but we need to expand our moderator team before we allow live chat -- the forum is already pretty high-overhead for just a team of only 3 active moderators. Adding chat is a hot potato at the moment.

Other forums are impressed at how much we're achieving with so little, in such an (on average) such a well-behaved forum. Some complain about moderating styles of the various different forums (our forum, our rules), but that goes with any forum. I get a lot of PMs of compliments about how (relatively-speaking) well these forums are run -- far more than those who complain.
I think we need to add a more intuitive editing, as now, I'm responding to your post entirely quoting you, but beginners don't know how to edit a post, as a result, it turns out to be a very long post with repeated answers.

DPRTMELR

Post by DPRTMELR » 14 Jul 2022, 11:55

a csgo subforum, or slap on an esports competetive mlg360 on the name.

more importantly, more intuitiatve way to quote multiple people in a single reply. Nobody wants go beyond double posting in these forums but system just sucks for that.
Most adults need 7-8 hours of sleep each night. - US FDA

Robbo99999

Post by Robbo99999 » 02 Oct 2022, 07:17

This is very loosely related to the topic of this thread, but I didn't want to set up a whole new thread for it: how come there's not been an update / new article on the main website for nearly a year now?
https://blurbusters.com/
I mean I'm interested in High Hz technology and use it myself as a gamer, is there not any relevant news worth creating articles in the last year? I suppose I'd be curious to use this website to see where the industry is heading & how it's progressing & what the current best monitors are, etc.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Oct 2022, 17:34

Robbo99999 wrote:
02 Oct 2022, 07:17
This is very loosely related to the topic of this thread, but I didn't want to set up a whole new thread for it: how come there's not been an update / new article on the main website for nearly a year now?
https://blurbusters.com/
I mean I'm interested in High Hz technology and use it myself as a gamer, is there not any relevant news worth creating articles in the last year? I suppose I'd be curious to use this website to see where the industry is heading & how it's progressing & what the current best monitors are, etc.
Hello,

We are now looking to hire part-time guest writers, with a start date of November 1st, 2022

Good observation, and it's been nagging at me too -- I want to get this addressed within 1-2 months.

Blur Buster's current main income is https://services.blurbusters.com - but I recognize that we need to staff-up the media section. I have to earn enough money to pay subcontractors who work with me with manufacturers, etc.

The pandemic also depleted some budgets that needs to be saved-up to do some of the side projects that Blur Busters absolutely loves to do.

Funding is finally available though, so I am searching for 1 or 2 new part time writers. 10-20 articles/month, preferably some student or esports who has Blur Busters knowledge. This stuff doesn't pay the bills as much as the other Blur Busters projects do.

I also would like to open up a Patreon, but I am trying to figure out how to structure it in a way that (A) produces enough income and (B) enough perks to make users happy.

Also, since I am deaf, I'm not well-equipped to be a YouTuber -- it can be done as there are some great deaf youtubers, but it takes a lot of effort that takes away from other parts of Blur Busters.

A problem causing Patreon not to be introduced yet is that the costs of modifying the site (e.g. custom ad-disable system etc) may exceed the patreon donations because Blur Busters is much more niche than LinusTechTips or Everyday Astronaut or Mark Rober or MrBeast or others. If I open Patreon it has to be with a sufficient rationle/splash not to dissapoint my users (like temporarly idling the news section of the website). So I don't want to start Patreon unless I have an absolutely solid Patreon plan, even if it's a minor one relative to a mega-YouTuber.

Now that being said, if you are looking for a part-time guest writing career with Blur Busters -- please submit your resume at www.blurbusters.com/contact -- thank you! I don't want to accept resumes from a commercial remarketing/affiliate site -- but an indie instead who's familiar with Blur Busters.

Thank you!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

sherifmagdy32

Post by sherifmagdy32 » 19 Oct 2022, 08:45

@Chief Blur Buster I just noticed that google DNS for some reason blocks access to the forum not sure if it is just me but I made some tests and found out that it was google DNS if this is the case you might want to check this out and fix it as soon as possible.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Oct 2022, 03:55

sherifmagdy32 wrote:
19 Oct 2022, 08:45
@Chief Blur Buster I just noticed that google DNS for some reason blocks access to the forum not sure if it is just me but I made some tests and found out that it was google DNS if this is the case you might want to check this out and fix it as soon as possible.
Try again, I changed CloudFlare settings recently. There may have been a DNS propagation issue, is it still happening? Quit your browser and restart browser, since DNS can be cached by Google Chrome for a long time.

If it is still a problem for you, please let me know!

I will diagnose further if what happened recently gave Google DNS a strange conniption unbeknownst to me.