>>> VOTE!!!! Ideas To Help Blur Busters!

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!

How Would You Like To Help Blur Busters Pay For Itself?

I Use An Ad Blocker
18%
Add More Advertisements to Main Website (http://www.blurbusters.com)
13%
Add Banner Advertisements Here (to these discussion forums)
13%
Patreon-style Monthly Donation/Subscription (pay to get ads removed)
19%
Early Access Content
11%
More Affiliate Links (Amazon, NewEgg, eBay, etc)
22%
Other (please followup with idea)
3%

Total votes: 508

InputLagger

Re: >>> VOTE!!!! Ideas To Help Blur Busters!

Post by InputLagger » 17 Nov 2021, 12:50

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
28 Apr 2020, 21:26
I currently am not paying attention to how many people use ad blockers. Fortunately, it is not a significant factor.

Literally ~99% of Forums traffic is lurkers for real. As of now, low six figures of forum visitors per month but only four figures of registered members. Even if 100% of forum members used ad blockers, the lurkers that come from Google will often be people who are less experienced than registered forum members -- so it's not worth my time to worry about forum members enabling ad blockers. My policy is: Go ahead.

With the increase in traffic, I'm not focussed on analyzing data at that fine level but -- Most views are via desktops because unlike other ordinary websites, Blur Busters is traditionally desktop-overweighted because of the nature of high-Hz.

Buying 1 monitor via Blur Busters Amazon Affiliate link has a commission that fully compensates for 1 registered user enabling an ad blocker for several years.

<Fair Disclosure>
So if you feel guilty about turning on an ad blocker, buy something via our Amazon links and put your conscience on a big fluffy pillow. Go ahead and enable your ad blocker, and just buy your next monitor or GPU upgrade at the links below :D ...

Heck, any Amazon link clicked via Blur Busters will do, then shop to other Amazon pages to buy other things unrelated to monitors to your shopping cart, checkout, and the whole shopping cart sends a small commission to Blur Busters.
</Fair Disclosure>
Can you cut , or spoiler BIG quotes (like my example above^ )? because it takes too much important space from the forum, always annoying scrolling then it occurs, mobile devices - total nightmare

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9337&start=20#p74130 for additional example

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Nov 2021, 19:28

InputLagger wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 12:50
Can you cut , or spoiler BIG quotes (like my example above^ )? because it takes too much important space from the forum, always annoying scrolling then it occurs, mobile devices - total nightmare

Do you have a screenshot -- it would help me debug them;

It does not show up on my system. The custom ads are country-specific, device-specific, and other tracking-related criteria the ad provider uses (as disclosed in Privacy Policy) if you permit these ads without a blocker.

So unfortunately, I don't see the same ads you do.
Also, ad-position bugs sometimes only occur on one system (e.g. Android 8 but not Android 8.1)
Also, ad-position bugs sometimes only occur on one browser (e.g. Chrome 77 but not Chrome 78)
Other times, it's the advertisement provider doing some very weird shit, and I have to apply a workaround or blacklist an ad.

If you see problems with ads:

1. Screenshot the ad.
2. Copy & paste the "User Agent" text from What Is My User Agent? so I know exact OS and browser used
3. Post the above in a this new post within Forum System / Registration / Suggestions

I have already fixed a few ad problems, such as this one.
But I have difficulty fixing device-specific ad problems without screenshots.

It is also okay to block the ads if you prefer. However, I appreciate figuring out a Goldilocks way to keep the ads in a reasonable Goldilocks balance, as it does pay the bills of a high end 4.6GHz all-cores dedicated server combined with the additional costs of expensive ultrafast CloudFlare Argo routing. The site has avoided putting middle-of-post ads. Also, the site has disabled sticky ads for desktop browsers as well as for larger-formats such as tablets (such as iPads), bottom-sticky ads only show on smartphones now but hopefully should not interfere with scrolling, and the ads are dismissable. The ads also show after a few-second delay to allow the forum page to load faster (ad script loads last), which is a performance enhancement, but on slower smartphones might cause a delayed CPU spike (like scrolling suddenly/temporarily grinding on slower/older smartphones about 5 seconds after the mobile page loads fast). This does not happen on my iPhone or a newer Galaxy though. Also, if there are specific problems (e.g. scrolling stops working) then I need to bug-report them to the the ad supplier that Blur Busters uses. Long-term I might try to detect smartphone performance and disable ads on slower/older smartphones, but it's a bit complex. However, if you can document/screenshot any glitches, it would be welcome in that other forum.

Hope this helps!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

InputLagger

Post by InputLagger » 17 Nov 2021, 20:31

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 19:28
InputLagger wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 12:50

Do you have a screenshot -- it would help me debug them;

It does not show up on my system. The custom ads are country-specific, device-specific, and other tracking-related criteria the ad provider uses (as disclosed in Privacy Policy) if you permit these ads without a blocker.

So unfortunately, I don't see the same ads you do.
Also, ad-position bugs sometimes only occur on one system (e.g. Android 8 but not Android 8.1)
Also, ad-position bugs sometimes only occur on one browser (e.g. Chrome 77 but not Chrome 78)
Other times, it's the advertisement provider doing some very weird shit, and I have to apply a workaround or blacklist an ad.

If you see problems with ads:

1. Screenshot the ad.
2. Copy & paste the "User Agent" text from What Is My User Agent? so I know exact OS and browser used
3. Post the above in a this new post within Forum System / Registration / Suggestions

I have already fixed a few ad problems, such as this one.
But I have difficulty fixing device-specific ad problems without screenshots.

It is also okay to block the ads if you prefer. However, I appreciate figuring out a Goldilocks way to keep the ads in a reasonable Goldilocks balance, as it does pay the bills of a high end 4.6GHz all-cores dedicated server combined with the additional costs of expensive ultrafast CloudFlare Argo routing. The site has avoided putting middle-of-post ads. Also, the site has disabled sticky ads for desktop browsers as well as for larger-formats such as tablets (such as iPads), bottom-sticky ads only show on smartphones now but hopefully should not interfere with scrolling, and the ads are dismissable. The ads also show after a few-second delay to allow the forum page to load faster (ad script loads last), which is a performance enhancement, but on slower smartphones might cause a delayed CPU spike (like scrolling suddenly/temporarily grinding on slower/older smartphones about 5 seconds after the mobile page loads fast). This does not happen on my iPhone or a newer Galaxy though. Also, if there are specific problems (e.g. scrolling stops working) then I need to bug-report them to the the ad supplier that Blur Busters uses. Long-term I might try to detect smartphone performance and disable ads on slower/older smartphones, but it's a bit complex. However, if you can document/screenshot any glitches, it would be welcome in that other forum.

Hope this helps!
Hi, thanks for reply! This is simple misunderstanding, I suppose. I dont mention the ads on the site ( my quote from your post is just an example of how large quotes can be ). My request was about too large quotations in the forum, I think you should shrink them somehow = they takes too much important space :)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Nov 2021, 21:18

InputLagger wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 20:31
Hi, thanks for reply! This is simple misunderstanding, I suppose. I dont mention the ads on the site ( my quote from your post is just an example of how large quotes can be ). My request was about too large quotations in the forum, I think you should shrink them somehow = they takes too much important space :)
Doh! You meant collapsible quotes.

Sorry about that, I thought you meant problems with advertisement. But now I understand you were trying to demonstrate the bulky quoting feature.

Yes, good feature request for the mobile view (smartphone responsive CSS). I prefer fully expanded quotes for desktop browser and tablets, but I agree that narrow views (smartphone) should switch to collapsible quote mode that expand when you tap on them.

I've now added it to my bugzilla-style tracking system. The feature may not be added until next year (As a priority-2 feature).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lizardpeter

Post by lizardpeter » 17 Nov 2021, 21:44

I really enjoy this site. It's a great place for more technical discussions compared to places like Reddit or other sites. Therefore, I would be happy to support it in a few ways. To expand on my "other" vote, I would be interested in potentially a fairly priced VIP membership or even buying merchandise. I do use an ad blocker, but I think I will disable it now that you have brought this to my attention (I did not even know this site had ads).

However, as a principle I am typically very much against Patreon and other subscription-style purchases. It's just a personal issue of mine. I totally understand how that could be very important for continuous income, but it's just not something I ever get behind. I am more of the kind of guy who is happy with a one-time purchase. That's the reason I pay for no streaming services, use Resolve Studio and Affinity Photo over Premiere Pro and Photoshop, and generally have no subscription (reoccurring) payments other than basic bills (electricity, water, internet, etc). But, like I said, I completely understand how that is not really a feasible long-term solution to having a stable flow of cash coming in.

I would also be happy to use affiliate links. The problem is that with so many things being OOS or selling out instantly, I'm not sure if it's really possible. If, however, something like a new RTX 4090 comes out this upcoming year and is in stock at a place Blur Busters has an affiliate code, I would be happy to use it.
i9 9900k | RTX 2080 Ti | 32 GB 4x8GB B-Die 3600 MT/s CL16 | XV252QF 390 Hz 1080p | AW2518H 240 Hz 1080p | PG279Q 144 Hz 1440p

Razer Viper 8K | Artisan Zero Mid XL | Apex Pro TKL | 1 gbps FiOS (Fiber)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Nov 2021, 22:05

lizardpeter wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 21:44
However, as a principle I am typically very much against Patreon and other subscription-style purchases. It's just a personal issue of mine. I totally understand how that could be very important for continuous income, but it's just not something I ever get behind. I am more of the kind of guy who is happy with a one-time purchase. That's the reason I pay for no streaming services, use Resolve Studio and Affinity Photo over Premiere Pro and Photoshop, and generally have no subscription (reoccurring) payments other than basic bills (electricity, water, internet, etc). But, like I said, I completely understand how that is not really a feasible long-term solution to having a stable flow of cash coming in.
Current goal of a Patreon-like system will be for certain things like disabling the ads. The patreon fund would be intended to also create content that everyone can see (even non-Patreon).

For example, a Patreon income may finance a specific new Blur Busters test invention that is released to anybody that is not on Patreon. So you win, even if you never use Patreon.

Just as I have tried to do my (imperfect) best to be judicious on moderate amount of ads (far less annoying than many sites) -- I will be judicious on what goes with Patreon membership -- generally it will mainly be convenience-improvers like disabling the ads without needing an adblocker. There may be early-view stuff that will be released publicly anyway within say a week or so.

You see how infrequently I write Special Edition articles for www.blurbusters.com/area51 (due to the need to keep generating revenue on other stuff such as doing strobe tuning for manufacturers) but a Patreon flow would allow me to write more often, even if they're not put behind a 1-week Patreon release period. I kind of want to do more independent research more often, and I am trying to find ways to finance that.

Since Blur Busters has a super-small media department and a larger research/consulting department, the balance may change to generate more media (funding permitting), and if that happens, an early-access system might be worthwhile. I have no plans to ever use a paywall, but reasonable amounts of early-access might happen (with a smallish window, like 1-week or thereabouts).

RTINGS already use a Patreon-style system (but not Patreon itself), mainly for things like early access. LinusTechTips use a system called FloatPlane for early access. So I might not use Patreon, but a different system that is custom-branded like BeamAhead or BehindTheUFO or Mothership (okay, silly) -- of UFO or Area 51 parlance.
lizardpeter wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 21:44
I would also be happy to use affiliate links. The problem is that with so many things being OOS or selling out instantly, I'm not sure if it's really possible. If, however, something like a new RTX 4090 comes out this upcoming year and is in stock at a place Blur Busters has an affiliate code, I would be happy to use it.
This has been a recurring problem.

There's a new monitor list system I commissioned from jorimt but has not yet been activated. Some changes are needed though.

One resource I am limited is someone skilled who can research monitors and update the offline monitor database, that the monitor lists operate off, with potential upgrade path for user-submitted monitor models.

lizardpeter

Post by lizardpeter » 17 Nov 2021, 23:43

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 22:05
Yeah, that would definitely be a very fair system. Those who are interested in supporting on a monthly basis can do that without the existing users missing out on anything. A good affiliate program would be great too, but in the current market I can see how that is almost impossible for big-ticket items. However, I would have purchased my most recent monitor from Amazon using one of your links (if you had one for it and I knew about it). I think if you do get all of the links up and running for specific monitors, you should definitely make sure people know where to find that information (maybe an occasional ad or notification on the site reminding people to use the referral code?). I'm sure a lot of people here would love to support you that way since it is fairly easy and doesn't cost anything.
i9 9900k | RTX 2080 Ti | 32 GB 4x8GB B-Die 3600 MT/s CL16 | XV252QF 390 Hz 1080p | AW2518H 240 Hz 1080p | PG279Q 144 Hz 1440p

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Nov 2021, 20:38

lizardpeter wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 23:43
Yeah, that would definitely be a very fair system. Those who are interested in supporting on a monthly basis can do that without the existing users missing out on anything. A good affiliate program would be great too, but in the current market I can see how that is almost impossible for big-ticket items. However, I would have purchased my most recent monitor from Amazon using one of your links (if you had one for it and I knew about it). I think if you do get all of the links up and running for specific monitors, you should definitely make sure people know where to find that information (maybe an occasional ad or notification on the site reminding people to use the referral code?). I'm sure a lot of people here would love to support you that way since it is fairly easy and doesn't cost anything.
There is also a generic affiliate link: www.amazon.com?tag=blurbust-20

You just search and add whatever you want to the cart, check out, and Blur Busters receives a commission from almost everything added to the cart, even baby food and laundry detergent purchased along with your Gadgetmaster 2000 Deluxe Road Runner Catching Machine.

Blur Busters try to balance the line between advertising the affiliate links too much (annoying users) and not advertising them (users miss out). Ah well, the life of a display researcher / deaf content creator like me. ;)

lizardpeter

Post by lizardpeter » 18 Nov 2021, 22:01

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 20:38
There is also a generic affiliate link: www.amazon.com?tag=blurbust-20
Ah, good to know! I will be sure to use that for my future large purchases at Amazon!

lucapieroo

Post by lucapieroo » 10 Feb 2022, 09:29

It's hard to work here when we need an admin approval for every post/thread/edit... it makes the forum so slow!