Asus VG278QR , 0.5ms, 165Hz, G-Sync Compatible

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
karavanasam

Re: Asus VG278QR , 0.5ms, 165Hz, G-Sync Compatible

Post by karavanasam » 13 Jul 2019, 11:51

Andy lets try some steps if you havent already.Maybe we can change some results.
First of all you are using Display port.Correct?
You have Nvidia Gpu?If so,open gpu control panel.Check resolution.PC 1920x1080 165 hz.Check color settings.If you use win10 it probably selected "use default color settings".Lets change it to "Nvidia color settings",then "RGB Full".Also enter scaling settings.Make sure Display No scaling is selected.Somehow these scaling settings affect even on native resolution.
If you still see bad text with racing mode,try increasing vivixpixel to 25 or 50.

andy22

Post by andy22 » 14 Jul 2019, 08:57

karavanasam wrote:Andy lets try some steps if you havent already.Maybe we can change some results.
First of all you are using Display port.Correct?
Yes
You have Nvidia Gpu?If so,open gpu control panel.Check resolution.PC 1920x1080 165 hz.Check color settings.If you use win10 it probably selected "use default color settings".Lets change it to "Nvidia color settings",then "RGB Full".Also enter scaling settings.Make sure Display No scaling is selected.Somehow these scaling settings affect even on native resolution.
If you still see bad text with racing mode,try increasing vivixpixel to 25 or 50.
Yes have done all this, did spend a whole day reading on nVidia ICC + monitor calibration and tried several online/offline calibration tools.
I also noticed that vivixpixel @50 gave me sharper text in racing mode, yet the effect is too strong for my taste and @25 i see no real difference. I still don't understand why racing mode has no sharpness setting, like all the other modes, so i could fix this.

I ended up with those settings after all the calibration test i tried:
Racing mode: Racing Mode = 60 brightness, 79 contrast, 60 Trace Free (user mode temp: 98 green)

Thanks for trying to help me!

PS: After trying like 4 ClearType setups, i finally found one mode that looks ok for text, so i don't have to switch the mode anymore. Still spending a day researching, calibrating to get a decent setup was disappointing. I also bought a Viewsonic VX3276-2K-MHD recently for work and i had this thing setup in 10 minutes.

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 14 Jul 2019, 09:32

Andy I have VG258QR and I also had problems with strange Asus modes first.There is no standart mode.It really is b.s.But I like performance of this monitor so I found best settings for my eyes trying different settings.
I recommended you RGB Full but I myself am using different settings.You can try my settings if you like.
I am using ASUS FPS mode so I have to use YCBCR 4:4:4 color format instead.This gives better color in this mode.My eyes like sharp images so my vividpixel is 50.I also lowered my contrast to 70.I hope you find ideal settings for yourself.Also try changing height of monitor for your ideal viewing.I lowered height of the monitor because I am not a tall person(1.71 cm) :)