ASUS PG258Q 1080p 240hz + PS4 pro stutter/judder

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
luckerr

ASUS PG258Q 1080p 240hz + PS4 pro stutter/judder

Post by luckerr » 02 Apr 2019, 17:17

Hello,

I am officially lost and can not enjoy gaming on PS4 with this monitor anymore. The movement is so choppy (judder is probably better word for this) and my eyes are really sensitive.. so I can not stand it after a while.

This is exactlly my problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcimUTRF_nE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Moe-ciGGVv4#t=37

Everything looks good on my old 1080p 60hz TV.. and the smoothnes of the image (while moving the camera) is noticeably better.

Please.. is there anything I can do about it? There is not much settings on the monitor that I can do.. and nothing helped.

The problem is only with PS4 and NOT with PC and probably only the games locked at 30fps (God of War, Uncharted 4). Btw I am using original HDMI cabel that came with PS4.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: ASUS PG258Q 1080p 240hz + PS4 pro stutter/judder

Post by RealNC » 02 Apr 2019, 19:38

There's been a thread about this in the past: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4697

There's nothing you can do about that. TVs can hide the problem because they can be more blurry (the blur hides the issue,) or because they might be applying a bit of interpolation. PC gaming monitors are less blurry and also don't do any interpolation.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 03 Apr 2019, 10:00

30 fps is a laughable number for playing games.Any monitor will give terrible performance if you play 30fps locked games.You should play PC games on a monitor,console games on a TV.TV and monitors give different 30 fps performance.Even 50 fps is not enough for PC games.So dont expect miracle from your monitor when you play console games.Use your TV instead.You buy a 60+hz monitor for PC.Not for a console!
LOL

luckerr

Post by luckerr » 04 Apr 2019, 09:25

RealNC wrote:There's been a thread about this in the past: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4697

There's nothing you can do about that. TVs can hide the problem because they can be more blurry (the blur hides the issue,) or because they might be applying a bit of interpolation. PC gaming monitors are less blurry and also don't do any interpolation.
Thank you for your post. I went through all the comments and I think that guy is experiencing some other kind of stuttering.

Anyway! May I ask you why this is happening on my minitor then? Because I am not sure that I understand that correctly. If I got it right.. my monitor is ''too good'' for 30fps? Is this the same reason why all the BluRay movies looks/feels stuttery too?

Sorry for my stupid questions.. because I am dealing with this problem for a while already. Everything at 100+ fps is super smooth.. but movies and games on highest settings looks stuttery at around 80-100 fps. I have 8700k + 1080ti .. so it's not that I bought this monitor with shitty pc.

luckerr

Post by luckerr » 04 Apr 2019, 09:28

karavanasam wrote:30 fps is a laughable number for playing games.Any monitor will give terrible performance if you play 30fps locked games.You should play PC games on a monitor,console games on a TV.TV and monitors give different 30 fps performance.Even 50 fps is not enough for PC games.So dont expect miracle from your monitor when you play console games.Use your TV instead.You buy a 60+hz monitor for PC.Not for a console!
LOL
I did not buy this monitor for console gaming. I have pretty good gaming pc and I am happy with this monitor at high framerate! But I also own the PS4 and it's literally unplayable because of that juddering. My eyes are really sensitive. So I am looking for a new TV now .. to watch some movies at and for PS4.

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 05 Apr 2019, 03:06

luckerr wrote:
karavanasam wrote:30 fps is a laughable number for playing games.Any monitor will give terrible performance if you play 30fps locked games.You should play PC games on a monitor,console games on a TV.TV and monitors give different 30 fps performance.Even 50 fps is not enough for PC games.So dont expect miracle from your monitor when you play console games.Use your TV instead.You buy a 60+hz monitor for PC.Not for a console!
LOL
I did not buy this monitor for console gaming. I have pretty good gaming pc and I am happy with this monitor at high framerate! But I also own the PS4 and it's literally unplayable because of that juddering. My eyes are really sensitive. So I am looking for a new TV now .. to watch some movies at and for PS4.
You already know it man.TV for PS4,monitor for PC.Love your eyes.Dont hurt them. ;) Consoles are trash,30fps is terrible way to play games.But they have exclusives games so you bought PS4.It is not your fault. :D