XG2402 (144hz) or XG248Q (240hz)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
cotte123

XG2402 (144hz) or XG248Q (240hz)

Post by cotte123 » 11 Apr 2019, 10:09

I don't have a monitor right now and I need to buy one. I was sure I wanted to buy a 240hz montiro, until I read Notty_PT "im done 240hz" post.

My system is a gtx 1060, and an i7 6700, and I only play competitive games like Fortnite, Apex where I can not get more than 180 fps, even going down to 120. From time to time I also play CS GO where I do get +300 fps. As Notty_PT commented in the forum, I'm afraid to buy the monitor XG248Q 240hz and not have a good performance (I'm not talking about not taking advantage of the hz, but that I can not play games well, to have a good aim).

In about 5 months, I plan to buy an RTX 2070 and update also the CPU, so with this setup maybe I could take better advantage of the 240hz monitor (although by what was commented in the post, not in that way it would get to be taken advantage of). That's why I'm worried about spending money on a 144hz monitor, and then it will become obsolete, because for 100€ more, I can go from buying the XG2402 to XG248Q.

Thank you very much in advance.
Last edited by cotte123 on 12 Apr 2019, 10:49, edited 3 times in total.

cotte123

Re: XG2402 (144hz) or XG248Q (240hz)

Post by cotte123 » 12 Apr 2019, 10:09

Someone to offer me a little help around here? I find myself quite lost in these matters :/
I know that on the internet you can find a lot of information, but I did this previous search before resorting to this forum.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 12 Apr 2019, 12:40

I kindly suggest you dont let yourself get influenced by my opinion or anyone else! Yoir best bet is trying the xg248q 240hz monitor for yourself if you can! If you dont like it you can return on amazon! We are all different and have different needs.

cotte123

Post by cotte123 » 12 Apr 2019, 12:56

Notty_PT wrote:I kindly suggest you dont let yourself get influenced by my opinion or anyone else! Yoir best bet is trying the xg248q 240hz monitor for yourself if you can! If you dont like it you can return on amazon! We are all different and have different needs.
You're right about that. However, my knowledge about these subjects is practically null. And I prefer to base my opinion on people like you, who have researched about it and tested many monitors. I think I'm more likely to get my decision right, yet I understand your part.

If you don't mind, I'd like to quote something you put in your post, and comment: "3- The fact that I can´t sustain a steady framerate creates not only worse overdrive but the most important thing: It messes up my aim...". If you watch Battle(non)sense videos (and I´m quoting him because he is well known so is a good source) or if you talk with any great pro player; they all tell you that having a steady framerate is one of the most important things for aiming".

Lately I play a lot of games like Fortnite and Apex. All of them, and I would like to emphasize the EVERYONE, have 240hz monitors, and the fps in these games bring them down to 130, 140, even with the best setup on the market won't they also experience the problems you're talking about? Even so, they still use 240hz monitors for competitive games. None has decided to take a step back in terms of monitor technology, so I foresee that it does not affect so much their aim, or prefer the advantages offered by the monitor 240hz, safricando a little aim.

One last thing, if I finally decide to buy the monitor xg248q, with my setup, fortunately I can not exceed just 150fps and sometimes I go down to 100-120, have you had your similar experiences in this or any other similar game? will respond very badly this monitor? I say because of the overdrive problems you commented on other post.

Thank you very much for everything.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 12 Apr 2019, 16:45

cotte123 wrote:
Notty_PT wrote:I kindly suggest you dont let yourself get influenced by my opinion or anyone else! Yoir best bet is trying the xg248q 240hz monitor for yourself if you can! If you dont like it you can return on amazon! We are all different and have different needs.
You're right about that. However, my knowledge about these subjects is practically null. And I prefer to base my opinion on people like you, who have researched about it and tested many monitors. I think I'm more likely to get my decision right, yet I understand your part.

If you don't mind, I'd like to quote something you put in your post, and comment: "3- The fact that I can´t sustain a steady framerate creates not only worse overdrive but the most important thing: It messes up my aim...". If you watch Battle(non)sense videos (and I´m quoting him because he is well known so is a good source) or if you talk with any great pro player; they all tell you that having a steady framerate is one of the most important things for aiming".

Lately I play a lot of games like Fortnite and Apex. All of them, and I would like to emphasize the EVERYONE, have 240hz monitors, and the fps in these games bring them down to 130, 140, even with the best setup on the market won't they also experience the problems you're talking about? Even so, they still use 240hz monitors for competitive games. None has decided to take a step back in terms of monitor technology, so I foresee that it does not affect so much their aim, or prefer the advantages offered by the monitor 240hz, safricando a little aim.

One last thing, if I finally decide to buy the monitor xg248q, with my setup, fortunately I can not exceed just 150fps and sometimes I go down to 100-120, have you had your similar experiences in this or any other similar game? will respond very badly this monitor? I say because of the overdrive problems you commented on other post.

Most pro players or good players, have no idea about what the perfect setup is for their best performance. They just use what they think is right and deal with it. Their skill is more important than the rest. I like to find the perfection (that´s why I test so many monitors!) and find out what works best.

But I can assure you everyone would benefit from a steady framerate instead of floaty, because that´s pure maths. If you are used to Sensitivity 2, imagine dealing with 2-0,5 or 2-0,3 all the time, randomly. Is bad for your muscle memory. With that being said, you get used to some situations and can still do very good.

If you can´t sustatin more than 150fps on the games you like, I don´t see the point of getting a 240hz monitor! But if you want to be future proof, and have a monitor that will fit perfectly on your future hardware, than it is a good buy!

And then comes the budget situation. What´s your budget? Because XG2402 is way cheaper than the XG248Q. You have to consider all the situations.

As for what I said, about 240hz monitors being bad at lower framerates, I recently find that a 120fps lock on 240hz monitor works very well, and the overdrive doesn´t get bad like when we lock at 150 or 180.

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 13 Apr 2019, 13:40

Go for 144hz.165 and 240hz are both bs. :x

theangryregulator

Post by theangryregulator » 13 Apr 2019, 14:45

I think people are too focused on what hardware the pros use. They're not pros because of the hardware at all.

cotte123

Post by cotte123 » 14 Apr 2019, 13:37

Notty_PT wrote:
cotte123 wrote:

Most pro players or good players, have no idea about what the perfect setup is for their best performance. They just use what they think is right and deal with it. Their skill is more important than the rest. I like to find the perfection (that´s why I test so many monitors!) and find out what works best.

But I can assure you everyone would benefit from a steady framerate instead of floaty, because that´s pure maths. If you are used to Sensitivity 2, imagine dealing with 2-0,5 or 2-0,3 all the time, randomly. Is bad for your muscle memory. With that being said, you get used to some situations and can still do very good.

If you can´t sustatin more than 150fps on the games you like, I don´t see the point of getting a 240hz monitor! But if you want to be future proof, and have a monitor that will fit perfectly on your future hardware, than it is a good buy!

And then comes the budget situation. What´s your budget? Because XG2402 is way cheaper than the XG248Q. You have to consider all the situations.

As for what I said, about 240hz monitors being bad at lower framerates, I recently find that a 120fps lock on 240hz monitor works very well, and the overdrive doesn´t get bad like when we lock at 150 or 180.

Thank you very much, I really have been very useful your assessment of my situation. Now I feel more confident with the decision to make. I think it might be a good idea to block my fps at 120 on a 240hz monitor until I upgrade my hardware.

I'm thinking of trying both experiences, i.e. buy one monitor, test it for 1 month, return it and then buy the other one. If you had to choose an order, would you first try 144hz or 240hz? (Maybe the question is a bit stupid, but maybe if I can condition myself to try one before the other).

Again, thank you so much for everything.
Last edited by cotte123 on 14 Apr 2019, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.

cotte123

Post by cotte123 » 14 Apr 2019, 13:43

theangryregulator wrote:I think people are too focused on what hardware the pros use. They're not pros because of the hardware at all.
Clearly not. But that doesn't mean that having good hardware allows you to compete better in video games. The difference between a monitor of 60hz and 240 is the day and the night. I would like to see a pro player with a mouse with a bad sensor, I'm sure its performance would be affected.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 14 Apr 2019, 13:45

I would first try the 240hz model. Because if you love the responsiveness of it, you will notice a downgrade by going to 144hz immediatly, and that can make you decide easier.

Even tho I created the topic "why I´m done with 240hz", I am the first saying that 240hz is objectively superior, on paper. It offers lower input lag due to faster scanout. It offers less tearing without the need for VRR. The problem I had with 240hz, is not a 240hz problem, is my problem, because I play recent games that can´t be locked at 220fps+. There is no hardware capable of doing that, and most Devs don´t bother to optimize their engines for 240hz. That´s not 240hz fault!

However I recently got a XG258Q 240hz monitor (the only 240hz monitor I have now, I sold all the other I had) and I had a good experience locking framerate to 120, while at 240hz.

Maybe Chief can explain why the overdrive stays consistent and the experience very smooth when we lock at 120fps. Maybe because is half of the refresh rate? Multiple? I have no idea, but I liked what I see. And 120fps @ 240hz still offers less lag than 138fps @ 144hz.
cotte123 wrote:
theangryregulator wrote:I think people are too focused on what hardware the pros use. They're not pros because of the hardware at all.
Clearly not. But that doesn't mean that having good hardware allows you to compete better in video games. The difference between a monitor of 60hz and 240 is the day and the night. I would like to see a pro player with a mouse with a bad sensor, I'm sure its performance would be affected.
Well, I can´t consider myself a pro at shooter games, because the game where I´m better, is basically dead (Quake). But my 50% LG shows I have above average aim. I can warranty you I CAN`T pull 50% LG on 60hz, not even 100hz. As much skill as you have, 16,6ms persistence limit where you can go, no matter what people say. At higher refresh rates you get more out of your potential and more consistently.

I played PES (a sports game) competitively for 7 years, on a team. Won several tournaments and was Portuguese Champion and top 16 in the world on PES 2015. On that time I would try different 60hz monitors per week and I would spot differences between their input lag (using XIM, wich is easier to spot input lag differences). That´s how important low input lag is for your performance. At lower input lag I could pull some quick moves and combinations that were almost impossible with a slightly higher input lag.

It was in that time that I found Asus monitors to be the lowest lag ones, specially the ones with "gamefast input technology". And we are talking about 60hz monitors, where the differences in input lag are small. Now imagine 60hz vs 144hz. Is night and day difference on your performance.
Last edited by Notty_PT on 14 Apr 2019, 13:55, edited 4 times in total.