ViewSonic XG240R Image Adjustment Problem

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
boykale

ViewSonic XG240R Image Adjustment Problem

Post by boykale » 11 Apr 2019, 15:19

Hello. I just bought ViewSonic XG240R and I think it has image adjustment problem. As it is a little bit hard to explain it for me, I will add images to make it clear. 1st image is upper left corner of monitor. The black gap that I pointed is wider at this point. 2nd image is upper right corner of monitor. The black gap that I pointed is narrower than upper left corner of monitor. Black gap at the top left is wider and it start to narrows slightly from left to right. Therefore black gap at the bottom left narrower and it starts to widen slightly from left to right. Namely, it's like the panel is not flat and it is inclined 1 degree. Is it a defective panel or something about settings? Is there a way to test whether if the texts are on a straight line or tilted as the panel may be inclined as well?

Note: Photos were taken from different angles so it may not seem as what I tried to explain. But I think you will have an idea what I meant.

jorimt

Re: ViewSonic XG240R Image Adjustment Problem

Post by jorimt » 11 Apr 2019, 21:49

There should be an easy way to tell if the actual panel or pixels are crooked (the latter of which is pretty much unheard of), or if the chassis is crooked and whether the plastic is overlapping/obscuring any of the pixels on the panel...

Just download this image I made up in Photoshop and view it in 1:1 fullscreen at your native 1920 x 1080 res (and make sure you have no overscan activated in your GPU control panel/monitor settings):

If you see the 1px primary red outline all the way around the screen edges with no breaks, then the panel is perfectly fine/straight, and the plastic frame/panel placement is just a little unevenly spaced (and what looks to be microscopically, at that), which would be very common; my panel has a "zero-bezel" design, and even it has a little bit more of a gap (well less than a millimeter difference) on the left side between the chassis and the panel than it does on the right side.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

boykale

Post by boykale » 12 Apr 2019, 10:39

Thank you very much. I just made the test and I can see the 1px primary red outline all the way around the screen edges. However there is more gap between left side and left chassis compared to right. The most important thing that made me think that the panel may be inclined is that there is also more gap between upper left and upper chassis compared to upper right and upper chassis. The monitor I used before was ViewSonic XG2530. It also had a black gap which is like a 0.5-1mm black strip along with upper chassis. However, the black gap which is like a black strip on XG240R is getting narrower very very slighlty from left to right. It feels like it is going very very slighlty upward from left to right instead of being straight line along with upper chassis. As I don't know whether if all XG240R panels' like this one, I just want to know your opinions.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 12 Apr 2019, 12:35

In my opinion, that is well within manufacturing variances. If you don't have any other issues with the monitor (dead/stuck pixels, debris stuck inside screen, frame skipping, bad backlight bleed, etc), I personally see no reason for any sort of return or exchange.

You could easily get a unit of the exact model that is worse in this respect (the difference between the two sides may be in the same place, or different from top to bottom instead, who knows), or it could have an actual panel defect the next time around.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 12 Apr 2019, 12:55

Am I the only one who can't see any difference in these photos? :P
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

boykale

Post by boykale » 12 Apr 2019, 13:33

RealNC wrote:Am I the only one who can't see any difference in these photos? :P
You are right. It is almost impossible to see difference in photos as the angles are not same. However, if you sit in front of monitor, you can easiliy notice it. They are just sample images to show the things that I am talking about.