Fastest 240 Hz Monitor for E-Sports, CS:GO, Apex etc?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
1000WATT

Re: Fastest 240 Hz Monitor for E-Sports, CS:GO, Apex etc?

Post by 1000WATT » 10 May 2019, 06:26

:D
Attachments
444.jpg
444.jpg (123.11 KiB) Viewed 5444 times
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 10 May 2019, 07:17

But I notice it! It was just irony anyway, because the difference is so massive, that if someone isn´t that sensitive, than playing competitive games is not a good idea :P

theangryregulator

Post by theangryregulator » 11 May 2019, 21:18

Notty I think I love the XG258q after a few days of gaming on it. It is responsive AF and my aim is clearly better with it.

The only real problem is running the XG258q and the XG2402 in a dual setup - if I have twitch or anything like that running on the 2nd screen it clearly syncs both to 144hz.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 May 2019, 21:37

theangryregulator wrote:The only real problem is running the XG258q and the XG2402 in a dual setup - if I have twitch or anything like that running on the 2nd screen it clearly syncs both to 144hz.
Mixed refresh rate multimonitor can interfere with latency. It's quite annoying.

Wish that Windows would handle multimonitor refresh rates better.

To them, it's an edge case, but it's a problem to those who use high-Hz to earn a living of any kind (esports, twitch, etc).

Best practice is to run the primary in full screen exclusive (FSE) and whatever runs on secondary should only be static windows such as Windows Notepad and walkthrough documents / HOWTOs / Tips / etc. Even hide your taskbar to prevent taskbar refreshing (e.g. icon updates, clock updates, system tray updates). Not even a browser window if you don't want input-latency-interference between discordant-Hz multimonitor setup. Or just temporarily disable your secondary monitor during a critical esports match (Software such as DisplayFusion can make this much easier -- disconnect/reconnect a secondary monitor via a simple click in system tray).

Primary FSE + static secondary (no screen changes) if you must use discordant-Hz multimonitor with esports
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

theangryregulator

Post by theangryregulator » 11 May 2019, 21:46

Thanks Chief I'll take a look at DisplayFusion for this. Yeah even a browser open with reddit seems to affect the other screen :( .

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 May 2019, 21:53

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
theangryregulator wrote:The only real problem is running the XG258q and the XG2402 in a dual setup - if I have twitch or anything like that running on the 2nd screen it clearly syncs both to 144hz.
Mixed refresh rate multimonitor can interfere with latency. It's quite annoying.

Wish that Windows would handle multimonitor refresh rates better.

To them, it's an edge case, but it's a problem to those who use high-Hz to earn a living of any kind (esports, twitch, etc).
theangryregulator wrote:Thanks Chief I'll take a look at DisplayFusion for this. Yeah even a browser open with reddit seems to affect the other screen :( .
About the growing problem of different-Hz multimonitor setups:

esports is growing 7x from year 2019 to 2029, with a big boom, and the high-Hz today is only the tip the iceberg at the moment. Being
Blur Busters and high-Hz, we're exhibited to this flood of professional players that research our website too (amongst other high-Hz fans)..

We try to run twitch on a secondary 144Hz monitor, but then that interferes with the game in the primary 240Hz monitor, e.g. throttling the 240Hz monitor to only 144 frames per second. An assumption is made that it is the application fault, but unfortunately we've traced it to the operating system / driver subsystem level.

In today's esports where single milliseconds can matter (surprisingly -- click if you don't believe me), it is certainly a problem.

I've actually got a new connection at Microsoft that works on display-subsystem, so I'll send a permalink to this reply so they can maybe re-evaluate the refresh rate chain to slowly work towards reducing problems in future discordant-Hz multimonitor.

It's probably an ultralongterm project (e.g. 5 year) since it's probably hard for Microsoft to refactor the discordant-Hz multimonitor workflow to the point where two separate www.testufo.com browser windows successfully runs properly on separate monitors (e.g. window on 144Hz monitor, and window on 240Hz monitor).

It only works smoothly if the TestUFO window is on only one monitor and not the other. Most driver developers don't concurrently own both a 144Hz and a 240Hz monitor, but you can test 50Hz+60Hz, or test 60Hz+75Hz instead with a common DELL or HP office monitor.

HOW TO REPRODUCE THE DIFFERENT-HZ MULTIMONITOR PROBLEM;
1. Most DELL monitors in business offices (such as Microsoft) can also do either 50Hz or 75Hz.
2. Connect two monitors at different refresh rates (e.g. a 60Hz monitor and a 75Hz monitor)
3. Open two browser windows to www.testufo.com
4. Put one browser window each (not maximized) fully within each monitor (no window overlap between monitors)
5. TestUFO animation will only run smoothly on one monitor (either 60fps successful or 75fps successful, never both)
6. This problem happens even if you use two separate browsers (one FireFox and one Edge) on each monitor.

It only works smoothly/correctly if you only have one active animation on one monitor at a time. Have only one window, drag window between 60Hz and 75Hz, it syncs correctly. You get 75Hz TestUFO, or you get 60Hz TestUFO.

Not just TestUFO or browsers, the problem affects ALL applications, no matter what. Two separate windowed applications can never successfully do native framerate simultaneously on each monitor if each monitor is a different Hz.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

theangryregulator

Post by theangryregulator » 12 May 2019, 07:33

I'm liking my display fusion trial - it's real handy having the ability to hotkey the turning off of the secondary monitor.

Farsot

Post by Farsot » 06 Jun 2019, 06:41

Hi @all!

I am new to this forum but also have the XG258Q

Can you share your settings for the XG258Q?
I have that monitor since November last year and it seems like gamma value is quite a bit off because i get eye-strain
when i drop below OSD Gamma Value 2.5.

If i do test on gamma sites, http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Gamma.htm , the display seems to have a vaule of 2.0-2.1 when OSD says 2.5.

These are my current settings

GameVisual: Racing Mode
Brigthness: 19
Contrast: 80
Saturation: 50
BlueLightFilter 0
Temperature: User Mode 96/98/99
Gamma: 2.4
OD: 3

I mostly play FPS games like apex

Tests Site

Gamma 1.4 - http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/1point4.htm
Gamma 1.6 - http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/1point6.htm
Gamma 1.8 - http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/1point8.htm
Gamma 2.0 - http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/2point0.htm
Gamma 2.2 - http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/2point2.htm
Gamma 2.4 - http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/2point4.htm

L3on1da

Post by L3on1da » 06 Jun 2019, 08:24

Hello guys, i read all your post.. I want to buy a 240 hz monitor (atm i have an LG Flatron 2363D 120 hz).. I was oriented for
Benq XL2546/Pg258Q/Aw251Hf .. After reading your post, i see how you talk well about the XG248Q/XG258Q and maybe for me (I play mainly Apex, in general Br/Fps like Battalion1944/Splitgate/COD) is the best choice..
In nearly future i will upgrade my pc with new AMD cpu 3900x and new navi GPU 5700..
Can you give me advice to choose the monitor with less input lag, ghosting etc between Benq XL2546/Pg258Q (I think this will surely be rejected by what I read)/Aw251Hf/XG248Q/XG258Q.
I think that the choice falls between XG248Q and XG258Q. What is the difference between the two, which one is the best?
I am very confused, help me choose well.