Help me with decision... [VG248QE vs XL2411Z]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
kamill

Help me with decision... [VG248QE vs XL2411Z]

Post by kamill » 04 Apr 2014, 09:03

Hello. I can't decide between ASUS VG248QE and BENQ XL2411Z. Which one is better? Lightboost or Benq Blur Reduction? Asus is good looking, but Benq is cheaper. I won't use G-sync. Can I use Benq Blur Reduction with 144Hz ingame normally? (CS:GO) And how to check firmware version of XL2411Z without buying this?

Falkentyne

Re: Help me with decision...

Post by Falkentyne » 04 Apr 2014, 09:55

Asus lightboost has only 1 thing going for it: it's slightly cleaner artifact wise than Benq BR (benq used with the 1500 tweak (100hz only) or 1350 tweak (120hz) and the V2 firmware utility (asus LB is much cleaner if compared to Benq without the vertical total tweaks or the V2 firmware utility), but that may be due to Asus' overdrive mechanism (tracefree) being better than Benq's AMA (they both use the same panel manufacturer, so they're basically the same screen). Benq actually has lightboost as well, but it's not unlockable without 3d vision hardware, so the Strobelight utility will not work.

However: Benq has much better image quality and features:
Benq strobing works at 60 hz (not at 50hz) for those 60 hz/fps locked games (like Crysis DX10) and arcade emulators, works at 144hz, and you can adjust gamma, color and brightness without any lockouts. No color degradation from strobe mode, either. Works over HDMI so you can get blur free gaming on a console. PWM flicker free in non strobed mode.
The crosstalk zone in 60hz is good enough to not need ANY vertical total tweaks (it's about the same as 100hz with the 1500 tweak), just use the V2 utility.

Only way to guarantee V2 firmware is to order from Benq's website. That's why there are those firesale deals on amazon with the V1 monitors being dirt cheap.

BTW 2411Z does not have displayport. A few custom video cards don't have DVI ports, so it could be worth it to step up to the 2420z.
The stand is also nicer on the higher up models.

Protip:
Benq has a 50hz mode at 1920x1080, which the Asus does not have (although you can use it unofficially), and some DX10 games will default to the lowest refresh rate with no change options, regardless of the windows desktop setting (most games use the desktop refresh rate by default). Since only 1920x1080 has a 50 hz mode (which won't strobe, and you will NOT want 50 hz), you can force 60hz by creating a 1920x1076@60hz resolution, then select that in the affected game).

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Apr 2014, 11:37

I should note that my BENQ XL2720Z strobes at 50Hz, but the XL2411Z might have a higher minimum strobe rate (60Hz and up).
I agree with Falkentyne; you have a quite a wide variety of flexible strobe adjustability, without the LightBoost color degradation/crimson tinting found on the VG248QE.

P.S. I have good news -- XL2411Z Version 2 for $319
I have confirmed these are indeed Version 2 units. Use coupon Gamer$20 to discount the monitor to $299;
This, indeed is a good price for a better-than-LightBoost monitor -- only a few dollars more than a VG248QE.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Oofloom

Post by Oofloom » 04 Apr 2014, 12:05

So the LB hack is "cleaner" on the ASUS than Benq BR even with the V2 firmware? Explainify, please.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 04 Apr 2014, 12:52

The crosstalk is better on the Asus. That's the only advantage. Vertical total @ 1500 at 100 hz on the Benq, combined with 1.0ms persistence and crosstalk slider at 1-2 notches (using the blur busters utility) to the right puts the benq blue reduction close, though.
But that isn't worth losing the color and contrast and gamma, and the oh-so-useful 60 hz strobing. And you should be using 100hz anyway; on all TN panels, going to 120hz and more, to 144 hz, causes gamma and color reproduction to tank, compared to the excellent 60hz. 100hz is a nice balance (check TFtcentral's 2420Z review for more information on how hz affects color and gamma).

As far as lightboost being cleaner on the asus than LIGHTBOOST on the benq--cant answer THAT. I can't enable lightboost since I don't have a GeForce card, and strobelight can't enable LB on the Z monitors. I really wish it could, though; I would love to compare the crosstalk.

Overdrive (tracefree) has always been better on asus than benq boards.

kamill

Post by kamill » 04 Apr 2014, 13:21

But which one is better for 120Hz/144Hz gaming? And is there any option to check firmware version?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 04 Apr 2014, 13:37

You can't use 144hz lightboost.
Only 100, 110 and 120hz work on LB.
60 to 144 hz work on Benq blur reduction.
(I can't get 50hz to work no matter what timings I try).

I'd say the benq is better for sure. Plus the Asus tanks so much on colors and gamma at 120hz and you can't adjust it.

Oofloom

Post by Oofloom » 04 Apr 2014, 15:05

Yeah right now the XL2411Z is the better choice for gaming at any refresh rate, and especially so if you want to use blur reduction (aka backlight strobing ((aka backlight flashing))). The real choice right now, at least for me, is between the XL2411Z and the XL2420Z. The 20Z is $80 more in the U.S. (aka #1 Fuck yeah!), but it has better build quality, a better stand, and other conveniences.

If you get a Z model just make sure you get one with the V2 firmware. Right now you're gambling on which version you'll get if you order anywhere except Benq's online store. I recommend using only the links Mark put up for each model. I dunno if you are guaranteed a unit with the V2 firmware if you access the store otherwise.

TwentyFoe

Post by TwentyFoe » 04 Apr 2014, 15:24

Oofloom wrote:The real choice right now, at least for me, is between the XL2411Z and the XL2420Z. The 20Z is $80 more in the U.S. (aka #1 Fuck yeah!), but it has better build quality, a better stand, and other conveniences.
same!!
I'm going to have to use a serivce-site that buys it for me and then ships it over (cause I don't live in the US, and BENQ.com doesn't ship world-wide). It's gonna be a pain in the ass and probably take like 2 months to arrive, but I think I'll end up going for the 20Z. I mean, what's an extra 80$ when we're spending so much (I, personally, am going to pay ~$528+ for it), and for so many years (unless we'll wind up selling it later on for a GSYNC monitor :lol:)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Apr 2014, 15:27

There is a lot of information on Blur Busters about motion-blur-eliminating strobe backlight technologies (LightBoost, Turbo240, BENQ Blur Reduction, and ULMB). LightBoost is a first-generation one, while the others are second generation (ULMB, Turbo240, BENQ Blur Reduction). The second generation avoids the major color degradation that LightBoost does in order to eliminate motion blur. So it's worth getting the newer technologies!

The best links to get Version 2 firmware (guaranteed for all orders via Blur Busters links):
XL2420Z and XL2720Z: http://www.blurbusters.com/benq/v2-firmware-included/
XL2411Z: http://www.blurbusters.com/benq/get-xl2411z-v2/

Other models of 120Hz monitors are listed at http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/120hz-monitors including which ones has which motion-blur-eliminating technology.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!