XL2546 vs XG248Q - The best for fast response games?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Lagger

XL2546 vs XG248Q - The best for fast response games?

Post by Lagger » 15 May 2019, 18:12

Hi all.

Finally I decided to go for a 240Hz monitor, the only ones that get my attention is the Benq XL2546 and the Asus XG248Q, but I can not decide on one of them.

I will use it to return to the competitive scene, mainly in games such as Apex, Battlefield, Pubg, Quake, among others.

The idea is to obtain the best in all aspects, for example:
- Better performance
- Reduced motion blur
- Maximum fluency
- Lower latency
- Panel image quality
- Better overdrive
- Brightness / contrast / gamma quality.
- All the above points should be taken into account, both with the strobe activated and deactivated.

CPU: Radeon VII (Optimized)
GPU: Ryzen 3XXX (possibly the 3700X)

I would love for you to exemplify the answer in order to have everything completely clear. :)

Thank you.

A greeting.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: XL2546 vs XG248Q - The best for fast response games?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 May 2019, 11:28

Good final candidates!
I think this is going to be a damn tough call. I like both monitors, for slightly different reasons.

Both of them are 240Hz, are known to be low lag, perform extremely well. I think you will be very happy with both of them, it will probably now boil down to a matter of preference -- there are reasons to go one way or another.

Pros of XL2546:
- Well known, been on the market longer, so more players are familiar.
- Ultra-flexible motion blur reduction that works at any refresh rate 75Hz-240Hz (custom Hz supported)
- 1 inch bigger if you prefer that (easier to see everything if you normally push the monitor further back)
- Very common at esports venues, BenQ Zowie is a long time sponsor with this model and this model often shows up at venues if you ever plan to attend competitions

Pros of XG248Q:
- Lower lag and better quality for lower refresh rates if you decide to run it at a lower Hz (e.g. 60Hz, 144Hz), like console games
- Has FreeSync which can help you competitively on the more stutter-prone games (Basically slower games than CS:GO or Quake) in particular games where stutters are so bad that it is interfering with aim
- 1 inch smaller if you prefer that (easier to see everything at once at normal desktop distances, eye movement takes time which can affect you competitively if a giant monitor is way too close)
- ASUS is becoming an increasingly bigger sponsor so you may see the XG248Q at your venues

The Radeon VII is a great choice if you're staying solidly in Camp Radeon -- it has enough brute to really make 240Hz shine. NVIDIA recently had a survey where their RTX series (similiar performance) really gave 240Hz a clear advantage, so the same should apply for the Radeon VII.

I'll also let other forum members chime in. Preferences can be quite particular, with some strongly BenQ and some strongly ASUS. And depending on where you live -- some countries will (for one reason or another) price one of the brands so much more expensively (occasionally, I've heard almost 2x differentials sometimes because one manufaturer has no connections to a particular country, while the other has a factory in the same country!). That sometimes the decision boils down to the price.

Here are the relevant Amazon links (Blur Busters affiliated, to support us if you wish)
- ASUS ROG Strix XG248Q - 23.8" 1920x1080 TN 240Hz FreeSync with strobe range 100,120,144,240
- BenQ ZOWIE XL2546 - 24.5" 1920x1080 TN 240Hz FreeSync with strobe range 60-240
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Lagger

Re: XL2546 vs XG248Q - The best for fast response games?

Post by Lagger » 18 May 2019, 17:56

Hi, Chief Blur Buster, thank you very much for responding.

I also think the same, I think these two monitors are in the TOP 3, I do not know if there is another monitor that can overcome them, or at least to take into account.

Focusing on the technical section, the thing would be like this:

Pros of XL2546:
- Ultra-flexible motion blur reduction that works at any refresh rate 75Hz-240Hz (custom Hz supported)
Midpoint of XL2546:
- 1 inch bigger if you prefer that (easier to see everything if you normally push the monitor further back)

Pros of XG248Q:
- Lower lag and better quality for lower refresh rates if you decide to run it at a lower Hz (e.g. 60Hz, 144Hz), like console games
- Has FreeSync which can help you competitively on the more stutter-prone games (Basically slower games than CS:GO or Quake) in particular games where stutters are so bad that it is interfering with aim
Midpoint of XG248Q:
- 1 inch smaller if you prefer that (easier to see everything at once at normal desktop distances, eye movement takes time which can affect you competitively if a giant monitor is way too close)

At first glance the XG248Q can be the candidate, but I know that you prefer the XL2546, what is your decision?

I agree, Radeon VII has enough power to stay at 237-240 fps, if we add a good Undervolt can improve the thing.

Thank you.

A cordial greeting.