Already own a XL2720T, is it worth upgrading to XL2720Z?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
memory942

Already own a XL2720T, is it worth upgrading to XL2720Z?

Post by memory942 » 06 Apr 2014, 11:43

Just read the post about XL2720Z being the best gaming monitor combined with V2 firmware and lightboost, and i'm now very tempted to buying one.

BUT, i was originally going to buy a 50inch LG/Samsung TV screen for my XBOX360s and PS4, which is roughly about $400 more than a XL2720Z.

I can't afford both, so I'll need to choose which one to go for. Is XL2720Z worth it even if you already own a XL2720T, or should i just keep the XL2720T and go for the 50inch TV screen instead? (BTW, I can't resell XL2720T to other people for some reasons)

My primary game runs at 77-84hz (capped).

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Already own a XL2720T, is it worth upgrading to XL2720Z?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Apr 2014, 20:20

memory942 wrote:Just read the post about XL2720Z being the best gaming monitor combined with V2 firmware and lightboost, and i'm now very tempted to buying one.
Depends.
-- If you already own LightBoost and really like it at its existing settings, you won't find the XL2720Z much of an upgrade.

Howwever...
-- If you need a brighter or dimmer LightBoost;
-- If you want LightBoost with better color (no crimson or blue tinting, no gamma bleaching, no washed out colors);
-- If you can easily tell apart the motion clarity of LightBoost 10% versus 100%;
-- If you need "LightBoost" to work with PlayStation4 and XBox One;
-- If you need "LightBoost" for nonstandard refresh rates such as 80Hz;
-- If you own a LightBoost monitor with very low contrast and nasty tinting (e.g. VG248QE);
-- You spend more hours on your monitor than the television;
Then certainly, the BENQ Z-Series can be worth the upgrade!
memory942 wrote:BUT, i was originally going to buy a 50inch LG/Samsung TV screen for my XBOX360s and PS4, which is roughly about $400 more than a XL2720Z.
It's hard to say what gives you the best bang for the buck. It is a personal decision. Are you planning to get a plasma or LCD? Do you spend more time on the monitor or the television?

If getting an LCD, don't forget the existence of the "LightBoost" equivalent for HDTV (Sony Motionflow Impulse, a low-lag interpolation-free motion blur eliminating strobe backlight that works in Game Mode for consoles).

Other options (e.g. GSYNC) can be viable, such as ASUS ROG PG278Q, but it's not out yet, and may not work with consoles.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

SS4

Re: Already own a XL2720T, is it worth upgrading to XL2720Z?

Post by SS4 » 07 Apr 2014, 21:39

Well if you want to replace your XL2720T with the Z model there is also the option to sell the T right now while its value is still decent. The more you wait and as new models come out the price will plummet down so if you want the Z as well as a new TV that might be an option if you act quick enough and manage to sell at a very good price.