Videos (in particular anime) looks stuttery on my 144hz

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Videos (in particular anime) looks stuttery on my 144hz

Post by RealNC » 28 Dec 2019, 14:55

artins90 wrote:
28 Dec 2019, 12:06
I am trying to get 48 fps playback in mpv, the VRR window of my monitor is 35-60Hz, running on Nvidia's freesync compatibility mode.
What I would like mpv to do is setting the vsync ratio to 2 instead of 2.5.
I am new to mpv, I spend a couple of hours messing around with all the refresh rate settings listed in the manual but I can't figure it out.

From the screenshot I can see you're using video-sync=display-resample. This doesn't work for g-sync, since it outputs frames at current refresh rate regardless of video FPS (this minimizes stutter in fixed refresh mode.) For VRR to work, you need video-sync=audio (which should be the default mode actually, so it appears you changed it.)

This is my mpv.conf that I use with g-sync:

Code: Select all

vo=gpu
profile=gpu-hq
video-sync=audio
keep-open
no-window-dragging
blend-subtitles=video
scale=ewa_lanczossharp
dscale=mitchell
slang=en,eng
reset-on-next-file=pause
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

artins90

Post by artins90 » 28 Dec 2019, 15:37

I posted the same question here: https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/6137
One of the users suggested trying vf=fps=48/1.001
Combining it with "video-sync=audio" as you suggested worked, now G-sync is active at 48 fps.
The video playback is much smoother, strangely G-sync would not activate under opengl, I had to switch to DX11.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 28 Dec 2019, 18:39

artins90 wrote:
28 Dec 2019, 15:37
I posted the same question here: https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/6137
One of the users suggested trying vf=fps=48/1.001
Combining it with "video-sync=audio" as you suggested worked, now G-sync is active at 48 fps.
The video playback is much smoother, strangely G-sync would not activate under opengl, I had to switch to DX11.
gpu-api=opengl doesn't help?
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

diwbndl4

Post by diwbndl4 » 19 Jan 2020, 16:19

Hi, I received an AOC 144hz monitor (set to 120hz) which also has MBR strobe, and I tried to compare it with my old 60hz monitor while watching 24fps anime. I tried with and without frame interpolation with SVP to either 120fps or 60fps. At 120fps I also tried with and without MBR strobing.

So the 3 cases:
60fps interpolation
120fps interpolation
120fps interpolation with MBR strobe

Does anyone notice any difference?

From what I see, 24fps looks the same on 120hz and 60hz monitors. Interpolation to 60fps also looks the same on 120hz and 60hz monitors. But interpolation to 60fps looks amazing compared to 24fps. Now, 120fps interpolation vs 60fps interpolation looks very similar, and it's difficult to notice a difference. Only in very specific scenes with panning of static objects do I notice that 120fps is a little bit sharper than 60fps. With fluid animation with changing shapes, I don't really notice a difference.

I can't really tell if MBR strobe helps with 120fps interpolation. The UFO test does look better though at 120fps with MBR strobe activated, but that might be just because the UFO is a static panning image.

Is it worth keeping the 144hz monitor to watch 120fps interpolation, or sticking with my old 60hz monitor to watch 60fps interpolation?

I'm also not sure if I trust the security of SVP. So I've installed it on a separate secondary OS, from my encrypted primary OS.

PS: Is it correct that MBR strobe (black frame insertion) should only be used when FPS = HZ, otherwise you'll get double images? While watching 24fps anime, I tried setting my display to 120hz, and compared SVP set to interpolate either 60fps or 120fps, while MBR strobe was activated. I could not really notice a difference. But when I watch the UFO test, I do notice the double image with MBR strobe when FPS doesn't match HZ, possibly because it's a static panning image?