MSI Oculux 24.5" NXG252R 0.5ms 240hz now available!

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Notty_PT

Re: MSI Oculux 24.5" NXG252R 0.5ms 240hz now available!

Post by Notty_PT » 07 Jun 2019, 09:38

Malinkadink wrote:You literally post a graph with no sources and claim it as fact. If this was a real huge issue more people would be talking about it and RJN wouldn't have even put the GPW as the #1 mouse in his top 40. How your hardware behaves has a lot to do with your environment ie other wireless signals, as well as your own hardware and respective software installed can all have negative effects on how your input devices behave. You're claiming to notice a difference at 240hz where a mouse updating at 1000 times per second and misses ONE report every second out of 1000 reports per second as a problem? What are you superhuman or just drinking some special juice?

FYI I have a GPW and its the best mouse i've ever had, 80g and 60 hours of battery life i will never go back to anything with a cord. Logitech makes some of the best sensors on the market and invested a ridiculous amount of R&D into the development of this mouse, and it shows. I still compete with the best of the best in Overwatch so moving from a wired Deathadder to this mouse did not affect me negatively in the slightest.

I knew this would come, what did I say? :D

Let´s be clear.

First of all, RJN is no one to tell you what a great mouse is. Why? Because he uses human reaction tests as a metric for latency, because he uses the famous "sniper test" to detect pixel skipping (lol), and most important, he is an average quake player with a shocking bad 30% Rail accuracy and sub par minus 40% LG. He got very famous because he is a very nice guy, his videos are interesting and his passion for mice is something that caters people

Second, that graph wasn´t made by me (even tho I can replicate exactly that), it was shown by the guy on the internet that knows more about mice than anyone else. He is a kind of Chief but on the Mice department. I´m talking about cdcd from ocnet, a mice expert that reviews mice and tests prototypes way before they are released. I´m a good "virtual" friend with him (he is from Germany, I´m from Portugal) and he clearly stated on ocnet that Wireless Logitech mice IS NOT exactly like wired, wich is more noticeable at high framerates and high refresh rates.

Third, I am not the only one complaining. In fact when I started testing wireless Logitech mice I immediatly noticed some kind of small skipping on my desktop when moving the mouse. It was very very small, but it was there. The fact I had an exactly same model but wired (G PRo hero) made me spot the differences even more. Then I proceeded to ask cdcd about that, and he told me it is truth, there is skipping on every wireless mouse, wich shouldn´t affect most people aim, but is there and I don´t want it.

4th, there is a thread on ocnet about this same issue with many people complaining, so is not me only.

5th, and this is slightly off topic, I said countless times on this forum. overwatch to me is not a real metric for aim, because those hitboxes are huge, movement is basically non existant, that game is very casual and very easy to aim, where team coordination and comms are the real skill gap, not aim.

And I knew this would happen because everyone on the internet thinks Logitech Wireless mice are as good as wired, but what can we do? In the year 2001 I was already spamming internet forums that CRTs at 85hz and 100hz offered way better experience and better aim, while being "bullied" by people saying 60hz was plenty. By 2010 I got my first 120hz LCD monitor, LG W2363D and I spammed forums saying it was an outstanding experience and my aim was so much smoother and I got bullied because 60hz/85hz was more than enough and "get gud kid, no one needs 120hz". By 2017 I try 240hz and immediatly notice how it further improves the experience, specially if you can sustain 200fps-240fps, and you still have people telling you there is no difference from 144hz (altho I agree for a lot of cases 144hz is enough, when your system can´t keep up with certain games).

When Logitech launched the first version of Pixart 3360 (3366 for logitech) many people spammed forums saying the 3310 was way worse with less fps and laggier, and even today people still tells you 3310 is enough and that 3360 being better is not noticeable etc.

In 10 years, like Chief says, we gonna be using 480hz monitors and some people will assure you don´t need it because 240hz is plenty and we are dumb.

It is what it is, I know wireless mice is not as good as wired, mouse testers shows that, people complains on the web show me that, cdcd tests shown that. Either you accept it or not. I do accept it and I do know it is real. Nothing else to add.

Plus, and this is not related, Logitech mice has been getting worse and worse, from materials (double click problems on the GPW), sensor getting worse (Hero is wayyy worse than 3366, less fps, higher input lag), high prices (150€ for G502 wireless and GPW is total madness), awful support (taking 1 month to send a replacement), and to make it worse, there are a lot of mice right now on the market that completly obliterate Logitech offerings on almost everything. Model O is one of them. I have basically all logitech modern mice here, nothing beats Model O, unless you mod them. This mouse comes with amazing feet/glide, paracord, buttons with near 2ms latency (vs 4ms on logitech), 68g, amazing wheel and cost me 40€. It is sold out in my country even, this thing is a masterpiece and a must have for any mouse enthusiast. But RJN still taking a lot of time to put it on the top 40 (just so you can see he has bias), while he put Rival 600 there (lol).

zerocool

Post by zerocool » 09 Jun 2019, 11:40

Just a small update:

Noticed the official page for the monitor is now up.

https://www.msi.com/Monitor/NXG252R

If you click on specs it says "0.5ms (GTG, Min.), 1ms (GTG, Avg.)"

Interesting... maybe someone with more expertise can give their hypothesis on this.

pox02

Post by pox02 » 09 Jun 2019, 11:48

did you know this is the only model that have gsync 0.5ms? its seems all 0.5ms panels are freesync even 0.3ms if 0.3ms not come in gsync i think i will go with msi
monitors xg258q aw2518hf 27GK750F-B pg248q xg240r lg w2363d-pf xb270hu XL2546 XL2546K NXG252R

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Jun 2019, 15:10

zerocool wrote:If you click on specs it says "0.5ms (GTG, Min.), 1ms (GTG, Avg.)"

Interesting... maybe someone with more expertise can give their hypothesis on this.
Some of you readers have finally read my brand new GtG vs MPRT explainer, but this doesn't even barely scratch the surface of a complex topic that is full of university thesises and patented research.

This may need to become a new article.... But in famous Blur Busters "popular science" fashion -- here's a forum reply which I may later reuse into a future article. (It's very common for me to reuse my forum-reply material into future articles, on popular demand).

Chief Blur Buster Answers: Why Are There Multiple GtG Numbers?

That's because different color response combinations are slower than others. Or the measurement temperatures may be different. Or the cutoff-point standards are different (90% vs 99% vs 100%). Etc.

The pixel color-change speed between white->black may be fast (e.g. 0.5ms) but the pixel color-change speed between grey->lightgrey may be slow (e.g. 2ms).

Some sites such as TFTCentral measures pixel response in a heatmapped or 3D barcharted manner.

That tells you why some sites display a Min/Avg/Max for GtG pixel response.

That's even just a simplified one. Some manufacturers measure all of them, all 8-bit to 8-bit color combinations, creates over 65,000 different GtG numbers. Yes, thousands of different GtG numbers for the SAME panel. Ouch!

Well-programmed overdrive is the playing field leveller -- getting a tight Min/Avg/Max span is only possible with a moderate amount of overdrive (not too little, not too much). Overdrive can never be perfect, but it can make a huge difference.

Now, pixel transition speed is also called grey-to-grey, as all LCD pixels are monochrome -- they're just colorfiltered at the subpixel level (3 LCD pixels are black and white just like an old wristwratch -- but covered by a red, green, and blue filter). So the industry has called it "Grey to Grey pixel response speed" for decades. The pixel response speed is actually more accurately a subpixel response speed, with 3 separate, independent grey-to-grey subpixel transitions occuring per color LCD pixel. The pixel transition speeds for each subpixel is usually identical or nearly identical (owing to slightly different microwire lengths or active matrix transitor placements, etc).

So the single GtG number you see, opens a horrendously huge galactic-sized mathematical Pandora Box, containing over 65,000 different GtG pixel transition speeds, some or all of which can vary based on temperature (slower at cold temps on cold parts of panel), location within panel (panel nonuniformities), and subject to measurement cutoffs dictated by VESA standardization (the amount of time 10% to 90%).

Cutoff points had to be made because measuring equipment was noisy, and sometimes the 10% cutoff point was barely above the measurement noisefloor (the noisy oscilloscope line). So fully 0% nor fully 100% was often impractical because it was often not possible to measure at all in oscilloscope measuring equipment! Especially if GtG0.1% and GtG99.9% was beyond human-visibility anyway. The industry came up with a compromise decades ago, to standardize at a 10% and a 90% cutoff point, even if the stuff below 10% and the stuff above 90% is sitll human visible (ghosting artifact).

Advertised and published numbers, are at best, a mathematical average (sometimes average of thousands of measurements!), combined with standardized cutoff points (10% to 90%), and measured at a standardized temperature (usually 70F or 20C) that may be different from your chilly or overheated computer room.

So next time some online fodder claims "a manufacturer is lying" about GtG... Let's at least remotely understand the calculus why it's so goddamned hard even for TFTCentral to try to give single GtG numbers...

</Pandora Box>
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Jun 2019, 15:35

Notty_PT wrote:It is what it is, I know wireless mice is not as good as wired, mouse testers shows that, people complains on the web show me that, cdcd tests shown that. Either you accept it or not. I do accept it and I do know it is real. Nothing else to add.
...The Yea
Wireless mice can have advantages for some people -- the advantages sometimes outweigh the limitations. Some people are super-sensitive to the mouse cord, even with a gaming mousepad with a speciallized mousecord-hook to try to zero mousecord resistance. Some just can't play with that mousefeel; or don't have the proper environment to do so. So suck-it-up-cupcake on the imperceptible imperfections of a really good wireless mouse can better esports score for them. More power and respect to ya.

Wireless mice can be damn well good enough for many use cases. If your error margins of your rig/setup/game totally absorb the requirements of your wireless mouse, you may find it feels perfectly as good as wired. Definitely.

Now the counterpoint salvo. Not all situations for all people for all rigs currently at this time.

...The Nay
Indeed, the imperfections are there versus the world's best corded mice especially when you need ultrahigh DPI -- considering that 400cpi is trash for some situations (especially strobed modes). Certainly for the paid esports player super-attuned to minor latency differences, microstutter -- or the once-in-a-while sporadic neighbor inteference injecting a random 10ms delay that throws off a frag -- or other imperfections.

And the hardcore "LightBoost 10%" connoisier (MPRT <1ms) who has to jack mouse DPI to 1600dpi+ or 3200dpi+ in order to have jitter-free mouseturns during strobed operation for stutterless strobing.

Motion blur reduction modes that are necessary to properly milk low MPRTs in a monitor -- inlcude "ULMB" (NVIDIA), "LightBooost" (NVIDIA), "DyAc" (BenQ), "Aim Stabilizer" (Gigabyte/Aorus), "VRB" (Acer), etc. -- all of those create amplified microstutter effects that makes mouse fluidity a big priority. Not all mouse manufacturers properly test their mice with strobe modes. Strobe-based motion blur reduction modes makes high-cpi mandatory for stutterless strobing because of the strobe-stutter visibility amplification effect (lack of motion blur = easier to see the ultra-tinest micostutter. And 0.5ms MPRT amplifies microstutter more than 1.0ms MPRT, kids...). Then for those people the wireless mouse often becomes a weak link that isn't to a different person. 400cpi is garbage for sub-1ms-MPRT strobing. 1ms is 1 pixel of stutterwidth per 1000 pixels/sec, which becomes more visible at 0.5ms MPRT (1 pixel of motion blur per 2000 pixels/sec), and 400cpi roundoff inaccuracies can produce 2.5 pixel of stutterwidth per 1000 pixels/sec depending on how the sensor read-rate beatfrequencies against the mousepoll rate beatfrequencies against the wireless packet-transmission jitter, and the other overheads such as USB latency-jittering, in all the discordant-frequency chain from mouse-to-pixels. Even 1ms-error buildups begin to create human-visible stutter amplifications in ultralow-MPRT strobed situations.

(Reminder to mouse manufacturers reading: I hate to beat the drum again for mouse manufacturers again, but we need accurate true real 2000Hz mouse polling in the era of 0.5ms MPRT strobing.)

Right tool for the Right Job, I say!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 09 Jun 2019, 16:11

zerocool wrote:Just a small update:

Noticed the official page for the monitor is now up.

https://www.msi.com/Monitor/NXG252R

If you click on specs it says "0.5ms (GTG, Min.), 1ms (GTG, Avg.)"

Exactly like Asus XG258Q then, and I can warranty as an Asus XG258Q owner, it isn´t any different from a native announced 1ms! Don´t fall for the marketing

Malinkadink

Post by Malinkadink » 09 Jun 2019, 20:22

First image is my G pro wireless at 800 dpi 1000hz, second image is a brand new deathadder elite i just got in today also 800 dpi 1000hz. Not sure what happened with the deathadder and the little hiccup it had as more tests showed it performing pretty much identically for that plot the only difference being its a wired mouse, its heavier, granted its more ergonomic, but it also has pretty bad smoothing past 1800 dpi whereas the logitech does not, for some people that matters. I see absolutely no shortfalls with the wireless mouse, maybe someone who has a router a few feet away blasting a 2.4ghz signal at 100% power will have issues, but my router is elsewhere and set to 25% power so i don't get interference.
Attachments
GPW.PNG
GPW.PNG (30.7 KiB) Viewed 5699 times
Deathadder Elite.png
Deathadder Elite.png (34.84 KiB) Viewed 5699 times

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 09 Jun 2019, 20:48

Malinkadink wrote:First image is my G pro wireless at 800 dpi 1000hz, second image is a brand new deathadder elite i just got in today also 800 dpi 1000hz. Not sure what happened with the deathadder and the little hiccup it had as more tests showed it performing pretty much identically for that plot the only difference being its a wired mouse, its heavier, granted its more ergonomic, but it also has pretty bad smoothing past 1800 dpi whereas the logitech does not, for some people that matters. I see absolutely no shortfalls with the wireless mouse, maybe someone who has a router a few feet away blasting a 2.4ghz signal at 100% power will have issues, but my router is elsewhere and set to 25% power so i don't get interference.
Is not interference bud, and those graphs are not the right way to show it. You need to zoom in. If you notice on the Logitech mice your first value is 50 and on DA is 20... you can´t compare graphs like that and you will defo need to zoom in to 1 - 1,5 interval.

Me and the players that do not like wireless and had inconsistent polling rate with it, do not suffer from interferences. I don´t even have an wireless router on there, I have ethernet cables inside my walls and my phone is always with the wireless OFF. My PC has no bluetooth or wireless, so is not interference. is simply a limitation on the technology, wich is normal, it is wireless afterall, impossible to be exactly like wired.

And this is more noticeable on 240hz btw and high framerates like cdcd said. If you play 100fps or 144hz you won´t notice it. I notice it on windows desktop immediatly when I try wireless mice, is like it skips a pixel every X ms.

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 15 Jun 2019, 12:55

1000WATT wrote:
Malinkadink wrote: You literally post a graph with no sources and claim it as fact.
why do you need a source if you can check it yourself?
703 wireless https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wB4Bo ... gPWerk8l0R
703 cable https://drive.google.com/open?id=1x9SF0 ... -7WLaXWY3m
after the firmware update. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1orgMM ... oeB9kWcGMf
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 15 Jun 2019, 13:26

I will clarify.
Before updating the firmware every second from 1000 Hz, the system did not reach the information on 2 cycles. and the counter showed 998. They fixed the wireless mode for 703. I do not know how for the other models.
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.