Exclusive full screen vs borderless windowed

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Abiak

Exclusive full screen vs borderless windowed

Post by Abiak » 30 May 2019, 16:52

How do you figure out which of the two you are using?
I thought games pressing the window key, with the exclusive full screen, minimize themselves in the taskbar but in a game (Mordhau) this is not happening.

jorimt

Re: Exclusive full screen vs borderless windowed

Post by jorimt » 30 May 2019, 17:14

(I've moved your topic to a more appropriate sub-forum)

Under Windows 10, a fair amount of games now use a hybrid borderless/exclusive mode at default (aka FSO: fullscreen optimizations) when set to exclusive fullscreen, which means exclusive fullscreen acts more like borderless/windowed when alt+tabbing.

In these situations, you'll be able to tell whether you have exclusive fullscreen enabled if the game has both a "Fullscreen" and "Borderless" option (sometimes listed as "Borderless Windowed" or "Windowed Borderless") in a drop-down/selector, and you have it set to "Fullscreen." Though some games don't have a true exclusive fullscreen option, and label it as "Fullscreen" anyway.

You can disable this hybrid borderless/exclusive behavior in most games by going to each game exe, right clicking, selecting "Properties," then "Compatibility" tab, then checking "Disable fullscreen optimizations."
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Abiak

Post by Abiak » 30 May 2019, 17:55

So if there is just one setting label full screen, the only way to know is to test the "Disable fullscreen optimizations"?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 30 May 2019, 21:26

If you have an nvidia gpu, force vsync to "off" in the nvidia panel. If you get tearing, then you're using fullscreen mode. If not, you're using borderless.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 30 May 2019, 21:28

Also, if you have G-SYNC, and set it to "Enable for full screen mode" only in the Nvidia control panel, you'll be able to tell whether the game's fullscreen mode is exclusive or not, with or without FSO; if the in-game option is labeled "Fullscreen" but the G-SYNC indicator doesn't show in-game, then you know it's really borderless, and visa-versa.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 31 May 2019, 12:22

I disabled fullscreen optimizations for the least input lag and best image quality.Dont use a windows feature if you ask me.:)

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 31 May 2019, 12:47

karavanasam wrote:I disabled fullscreen optimizations for the least input lag and best image quality.
It doesn't have an effect on them.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 31 May 2019, 13:10

On single player games like Tomb raider or Metro Exodus, I use bordereless because I like to use my mouse on my secondary monitor while listening to some stream or youtube etc. On first person shooters I use exclusive fullscreen to get the best mouse input possible. They are both great options depending on what you are playing.

For dual screens setups bordereless is "God Tier" in my opinion.

Abiak

Post by Abiak » 30 Jun 2019, 12:28

I found a borderless window that can minimize in the taskbar :shock:

whitepuzzle

Post by whitepuzzle » 04 Jul 2019, 02:17

From the testing I've seen, W10 1809's new hybrid fullscreen mode adds no input lag and has either no effect or a negligible effect on FPS depending on the game. Quite a nifty improvement indeed. You can tell if you're using the hybrid mode by changing your windows volume with a hotkey; if the volume slider shows up in the top left, you're in hybrid mode. If not, you're in exclusive fullscreen mode.

As I understand it, the hybrid mode isn't running the application in true exclusive fullscreen mode, but is still bypassing the DWM to avoid enforced vsync and input lag.

I wouldn't mind seeing some thorough and conclusive testing however, just to cement my confidence in using the mode for competitive FPS.