Asus XG258 Questionable Overdrive

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
singleDADAN

Re: Asus XG258 Questionable Overdrive

Post by singleDADAN » 05 Nov 2019, 16:23

Paft wrote:He already said what settings he uses in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5415&p=41696&hilit=settings#p41696

Here's the file if you use 'ASUS DisplayWidget':
(My Gdrive is full so it will have to be mediafire)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/1lpa3lkba ... ty_PT.axml
are those settings he use for gaming ? ddc/ci on or off ? and asus displaywidget not working for me: "Selected monitor not supported"

Paft

Post by Paft » 05 Nov 2019, 16:37

Yes.

I don't think he mentioned DDC/CI. I don't even see those in my monitor options.

Did you download it from the correct page?
https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/ROG-St ... _Download/

singleDADAN

Post by singleDADAN » 05 Nov 2019, 16:58

Paft wrote:Yes.

I don't think he mentioned DDC/CI. I don't even see those in my monitor options.

Did you download it from the correct page?
https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/ROG-St ... _Download/
system setup->OSD setup

yep i download from official site, tried also diferent versions none works...

quote from some other forum:" make sure to disable ddc/ci add input lag aswell(if you don't need it for anything)"

Paft

Post by Paft » 05 Nov 2019, 17:09

Ah yes, of course. I haven't touched my monitor since I started this thread. I have a terrible memory.

I just noticed DisplayWidget isn't working for me now. "Selected monitor not supported". Strange because I used it the other day to re-apply notty's settings because I saved over it by accident.

I reset the monitor for factory settings and DispalyWidget works again. Go to Advanced Settings>Import

Disable it from starting with Windows because it's buggy for me. It likes to switch profiles on its own. Usually switches to racing.

singleDADAN

Post by singleDADAN » 22 Nov 2019, 05:04

https://prnt.sc/q0i7p9

against vs crt monitor. Clone mode.Both on 1920x1080@60hz

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 27 Nov 2019, 00:50

singleDADAN wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 05:04
https://prnt.sc/q0i7p9

against vs crt monitor. Clone mode.Both on 1920x1080@60hz
What happens if you swap the monitors? Clone mode sometimes has lag.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

csplayer

Post by csplayer » 11 Oct 2020, 09:32

ogchampion wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 03:23
I'm torn about the XG258Q. It does offer objectively better performance metrics for me in Aim Lab over my 144hz monitors.

Wish I could find an acceptable trade off for the overdrive settings.

Observed in Test UFO with my sample;

OD level 3 gives very obvious colourful shadowy overshoot which I find quite distracting.

OD level 2 solves the overshoot problem but is too weak & introduces heavy 'powdery' trailing.

If only there was an OD 2.5 setting!
There is a way you can kind of customize the overdrive to a more specific value than 0-5 does.

For this you need to open the factory menu by holding the top button when you are starting the monitor, now when you open the OSD you will see a F at the top left which is the factory menu.

There is a option called "OD Strong weak" which is what the overdrive setting changes, i haven't experimented much with this.
However i did find out the corresponding values.
[OSD Menu:Factory menu]
Level 0 = 0
Level 1 = 1
Level 2 = 6
Level 3 = 9
Level 4 = 13
Level 5 = 15

diogogmaio

Post by diogogmaio » 01 Oct 2021, 09:04

Notty_PT wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 00:22
steel116 wrote:
Paft wrote:
Wicket wrote:Hello,

I have used Benq XL2411, 144Hz, AMA: high, overshoot is noticeable, but i can live with it. Does the Asus XG258Q have better 240Hz overdrive at OD3 level than Benq AMA: high, same or more overshoot?
Don't take my word for it but I imagine the Benq is miles better regarding overshoot. Notty likes his Asus XG258Q but I wouldn't recommend it at all. I wish I sent it back..it's too annoying. Even with a control pad (single player games) it's noticeable. Have to turn it to 2 or less.

Off topic
Anyone tried "O.C" it. I seem to be able to bump it up to 255+Hz. Not had time to test if it's frame skipping or if its stable.
Thats what i said earlier. Notty is only praising his XG258Q while majority of people say its uncomfortable and unplayable for longer period of time. Overdrive on 2 is even noticeable and you get eye strain in 1-2 hours. You buy Asus XG258Q to use it at only 2 out of 5 levels of responsiveness. Its like buying a sports car to only drive 50km/h. (yes, overdrive have an impact on responsiveness of monitor) but okey, you can skip that. But getting constantly annoyed by the ghosting is worse.

I really do hate when people lie without confirming whaf they are saying. I have said countless times that the only reason I kept the xg25 was the ultra low input lag and good 120hz gsync overdrive. I even said on a thread that it causes me eye strain, altho due to size, until I fixed it.

More, each one has opinions. You guys care so much about some details, While I play games and look at my performance and what I see in game. You should do the same. You buy 240hz and hardware to keep up (cpu, gpu) to have better stats/performance.

Plus this model is "old news" now, with the Omen X 25F launch wich surprasses every 240hz monitor.
Hey Notty_PT. Maybe an older thread but I need some input.

Saw the entire discussion and I am trying to have the best competitive settings (FPS) for XG258Q asus rog strix.
Loaded up your mediafire file but it seems really dark and overall I can't play my usual FPS with this one.

The mediafire one is:
User mode
Brightness - 60
Contrast - 50
Saturation - 45
OD 3
Color temp - Normal
NO ASCR

Using another that I've found and seems to be yours it's a bit better.
It's the following:
CINEMA mode
Brightness - 60
Contrast - 50
Saturation - 45
OD 3
Color temp - USER [ RED 100 / GReen 100 / Blue 94]
NO ASCR

The only major difference seems to be if we start with cinema or user mode.
Can you clarify what was your final configuration?

Just to be sure and test it properly.
Great monitor but I am just looking to get better performance visuals for FPS games.

diogogmaio

Post by diogogmaio » 16 Oct 2021, 18:04

diogogmaio wrote:
01 Oct 2021, 09:04
Notty_PT wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 00:22
steel116 wrote:
Paft wrote: Don't take my word for it but I imagine the Benq is miles better regarding overshoot. Notty likes his Asus XG258Q but I wouldn't recommend it at all. I wish I sent it back..it's too annoying. Even with a control pad (single player games) it's noticeable. Have to turn it to 2 or less.

Off topic
Anyone tried "O.C" it. I seem to be able to bump it up to 255+Hz. Not had time to test if it's frame skipping or if its stable.
Thats what i said earlier. Notty is only praising his XG258Q while majority of people say its uncomfortable and unplayable for longer period of time. Overdrive on 2 is even noticeable and you get eye strain in 1-2 hours. You buy Asus XG258Q to use it at only 2 out of 5 levels of responsiveness. Its like buying a sports car to only drive 50km/h. (yes, overdrive have an impact on responsiveness of monitor) but okey, you can skip that. But getting constantly annoyed by the ghosting is worse.

I really do hate when people lie without confirming whaf they are saying. I have said countless times that the only reason I kept the xg25 was the ultra low input lag and good 120hz gsync overdrive. I even said on a thread that it causes me eye strain, altho due to size, until I fixed it.

More, each one has opinions. You guys care so much about some details, While I play games and look at my performance and what I see in game. You should do the same. You buy 240hz and hardware to keep up (cpu, gpu) to have better stats/performance.

Plus this model is "old news" now, with the Omen X 25F launch wich surprasses every 240hz monitor.
Hey Notty_PT. Maybe an older thread but I need some input.

Saw the entire discussion and I am trying to have the best competitive settings (FPS) for XG258Q asus rog strix.
Loaded up your mediafire file but it seems really dark and overall I can't play my usual FPS with this one.

The mediafire one is:
User mode
Brightness - 60
Contrast - 50
Saturation - 45
OD 3
Color temp - Normal
NO ASCR

Using another that I've found and seems to be yours it's a bit better.
It's the following:
CINEMA mode
Brightness - 60
Contrast - 50
Saturation - 45
OD 3
Color temp - USER [ RED 100 / GReen 100 / Blue 94]
NO ASCR

The only major difference seems to be if we start with cinema or user mode.
Can you clarify what was your final configuration?

Just to be sure and test it properly.
Great monitor but I am just looking to get better performance visuals for FPS games.
Anyone can help with this?

Paft

Post by Paft » 19 Jul 2023, 13:08

csplayer wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 09:32
ogchampion wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 03:23
I'm torn about the XG258Q. It does offer objectively better performance metrics for me in Aim Lab over my 144hz monitors.

Wish I could find an acceptable trade off for the overdrive settings.

Observed in Test UFO with my sample;

OD level 3 gives very obvious colourful shadowy overshoot which I find quite distracting.

OD level 2 solves the overshoot problem but is too weak & introduces heavy 'powdery' trailing.

If only there was an OD 2.5 setting!
There is a way you can kind of customize the overdrive to a more specific value than 0-5 does.

For this you need to open the factory menu by holding the top button when you are starting the monitor, now when you open the OSD you will see a F at the top left which is the factory menu.

There is a option called "OD Strong weak" which is what the overdrive setting changes, i haven't experimented much with this.
However i did find out the corresponding values.
[OSD Menu:Factory menu]
Level 0 = 0
Level 1 = 1
Level 2 = 6
Level 3 = 9
Level 4 = 13
Level 5 = 15
Interesting. Though, I don't understand. For example for me personally, anything past 3 absolutely horrible. Well, it depends on the game. Sometimes I can manage with 3, sometimes I have to use 2. What do those corresponding numbers mean exactly? Such as = 9 mean? Do you mean I should try changing OD 3 / OD Strong Weak 9 to 8 maybe? Or whatever Level/combo works best for me? I assume that's what you mean.