Asus XG258 Questionable Overdrive

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
pwn

Re: Asus XG258 Questionable Overdrive

Post by pwn » 05 Jul 2019, 15:07

Can someone tell what it means?
It divides exactly half except 240Hz
Does this mean that I see 144 as 240 :D?

UPD. I fixed this problem, if someone needs help, say

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 05 Jul 2019, 23:48

This happens when switching to ulmb mode. Rebooting the computer fixes this.
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

Paft

Post by Paft » 06 Jul 2019, 09:43

Embarrassingly since never seeing G-Sync/Freesync until now, the way it was advertised and reviewed ("smooth" etc) I got the impression it was something more impressive or magical than just eliminating tearing... I haven't had any games yet that are tearing enough to test it out.

inx9r

Post by inx9r » 06 Jul 2019, 13:27

Is it possible to adjust the sharpness of the XG258Q? Currently I use the XL2546 (sharpness 7) and the image is much sharper than that of the XG258Q in comparison. Same Nvidia-Settings, Same Cable, Same everything.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 07 Jul 2019, 15:44

inx9r wrote:Is it possible to adjust the sharpness of the XG258Q? Currently I use the XL2546 (sharpness 7) and the image is much sharper than that of the XG258Q in comparison. Same Nvidia-Settings, Same Cable, Same everything.
If it doesn't have a sharpness OSD setting, then no. For games, your only option is ReShade, using the fast lumasharpen shader. I use it myself for games that I need to run at lower than native resolution (to mitigate the GPU upscaling blur) and it does a pretty good job. Unfortunately, this doesn't work for the desktop or multiplayer games that have an anti-cheat system (ReShade can get you banned since it's a DLL injector.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Wicket

Post by Wicket » 10 Jul 2019, 03:49

Hello,

I have used Benq XL2411, 144Hz, AMA: high, overshoot is noticeable, but i can live with it. Does the Asus XG258Q have better 240Hz overdrive at OD3 level than Benq AMA: high, same or more overshoot?

Paft

Post by Paft » 10 Jul 2019, 13:28

Wicket wrote:Hello,

I have used Benq XL2411, 144Hz, AMA: high, overshoot is noticeable, but i can live with it. Does the Asus XG258Q have better 240Hz overdrive at OD3 level than Benq AMA: high, same or more overshoot?
Don't take my word for it but I imagine the Benq is miles better regarding overshoot. Notty likes his Asus XG258Q but I wouldn't recommend it at all. I wish I sent it back..it's too annoying. Even with a control pad (single player games) it's noticeable. Have to turn it to 2 or less.

Off topic
Anyone tried "O.C" it. I seem to be able to bump it up to 255+Hz. Not had time to test if it's frame skipping or if its stable.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 10 Jul 2019, 15:22

Mine goes up to 260hz, but everything after 240hz shown frame skipping!

As for the overdrive, no 240hz monitor right now apartr fom one, has a decent overdrive that we can call "good". They all have problems, some models more than others. Asus XG248Q is the only one that has no overdrive problems, only an aggressive coating that creates smearing on some transitions. It uses a different panel, so maybe that´s why.

Every AUO 24,5 panel from the 60hz, 144hz/165hz and 240hz ones have overdrive problems, also noticed by PCmonitors website. They are a step forward contrast, colours and BL wise, compared to other TNs, but the overdrive suffered in the process.

I kept the Asus XG258Q because it has an insanely low input lag, and contraty to the other 240hz models I tested, its overdrive doesn´t get any worse (or better) at 120fps lock. Plus this model has less coating than the others, and that actually helps on a lot of transitions. If someone is very sensitive to overdrive, do not bother with any 24,5 AUO panel, you will be disapointed.

Paft

Post by Paft » 10 Jul 2019, 15:31

Thanks for clearing that up quickly. I did get it up to 260Hz but it seemed to have not liked it after a while. 'no display' on screen.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 11 Jul 2019, 05:41

Paft wrote:
Wicket wrote:Hello,

Don't take my word for it but I imagine the Benq is miles better regarding overshoot. Notty likes his Asus XG258Q but I wouldn't recommend it at all. I wish I sent it back..it's too annoying. Even with a control pad (single player games) it's noticeable. Have to turn it to 2 or less.

Off topic
Anyone tried "O.C" it. I seem to be able to bump it up to 255+Hz. Not had time to test if it's frame skipping or if its stable.
I do like it, but reccomendation wise for 240hz, the safe one is Asus XG248Q. I think from now on we should be looking at this model when someone comes and asks for a 240hz monitor. It is the model with less risks. The only risk with it is the "random" Backlight bleed, as some older samples show some annoying stripes along the screen. But I already seen 3 different models and all of them were good enough.

Everytime we reccomend a 24,5 panel we are taking the risk of the customer being disapointed when he comes home and tries the monitor. The overdrive problems are notorious on every model.

AlienWare AW2518HF has really bad inverse ghosting on bright colours (greenish/purple depending on the colours configuration).

Benq XL254x has inverse ghosting with AMA High, 0 inverse ghosting with AMA OFF (but response time is too high that way). Still better than the AlienWare one and can be atenuated by reducing the contrast a bit.

Asus PG258Q/XG258Q have shadowing effect (dark colours) when everything seems too much outlined when you move your mouse fast or scroll down fast on websites (easier to notice this way)

Asus XG248Q doesn´t have a single overdrive problem, 0 inversion ghosting. But the coating is too aggressive and in some colours I noticed smearing on the transitions, grainy if you understand what I mean, and it can be annoying, BUT that´s not a panel problem itself and there is nos shadowing or inverse ghosting at all.

AOC model is very bad imo, so is the Acer (worse overdrive on both).

ViewSonic XG2530 is very solid overdrive wise (as usual with this brand), but the input lag is higher than even a low budget 144hz monitor....

Gigabyte Aorus KD25 has really bad overdrive too, as noticed on the hardware info review https://nl.hardware.info/reviews/9309/8 ... n-inputlag